You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-18 02:42:29

Archenduser

Video wiki

I think the wiki should add a mini video of each step of the code being written, (or link to a 3rd party hosted file). This would prevent users from trying to use sites such as youtube ect to speed up the installation process.

Video has higher memory retention than written text. View counts could also point out the areas arch users struggle with the most. Removing the communicative process can be beneficial since not everyone on the internet speaks the same language.

Just a thought, based upon how I prefer to learn. Its just a little more storage space, but if the videos follow the installation instructions exactly, it shouldn't be a lot of work since its just a wiki. Pick a standard font size and color and wait for the community to chip in.

#2 2012-03-18 02:47:51

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Video wiki

Counter point: A rolling release such as Arch changes frequently. It's a lot easier to change a line of text than it is to change a video. Barriers to entry are much higher as well.

#3 2012-03-18 02:56:48

karol
Archivist

The wiki as it is (text only) is rapidly getting out of date due to few people trying to maintain it. I've seen mostly the same 20 or so people doing the bulk of the edits.

I agree that pictures and video would be nice, but for now you will have to rely on external sites. Nothing wrong with creating a series of screenshots / a slideshow and putting a link to it somewhere.

#4 2012-03-18 03:17:40

hadrons123

Archenduser wrote:

I think the wiki should add a mini video of each step of the code being written, (or link to a 3rd party hosted file). This would prevent users from trying to use sites such as youtube ect to speed up the installation process.

Actually you can do it even right now.(adding a 3 rd party link like youtube).I don't think anyone forbid you from linking to 3rd party site. Its just that its too much work already with just text.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2012-03-18 03:18:02

Archenduser

Ok if video isn't fast enough, how about a fill in the fields/ search and replace option.  Read the instruction wiki per your desired configuration and modify in real time.  This would be speedy text but tailored to the reader based on field box information. Fast and super custom.

#6 2012-03-18 03:34:01

karol
Archivist

Archenduser wrote:

how about a fill in the fields/ search and replace option

Where? I'm not sure what are you talking about here.

#7 2012-03-18 03:46:09

Archenduser

like if you were using search and replace tool in ms office or celtx. but had blocked out the "matching terms results" with empty and suggested field prompts like they do on user names that are already in use on commercial websites.

such as: I would like this to be

1) HDA1
2) C:
3) myfirstarch
4) cody  ----------------------->***bad pun on a user name

none of those strings matters much to a new user, but obviously we don't want system crushing conflicts.

get it?

#8 2012-03-18 04:16:58

karol
Archivist

Sometimes the underlying code changes and someone has to update the templates, e.g. alsaconf got removed.
How should you proceed now, when the wiki still tells you to use alsaconf?

#9 2012-03-18 12:35:39

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Archenduser wrote:

Why do you want to prevent that in the first place? The wiki describes a way (the most supported one btw) to install Arch, but you can use whatever method you want, provided it works.
Besides, IMO the only way to "speed up the installation process" should be through experience, and users installing the system for the first time or so shouldn't expect to do it in 5 minutes, at least I don't think that's the kind of users we want to support (disclaimer: I don't speak on behalf of Arch Linux).

#10 2012-03-18 20:02:07

Archenduser

For me, a youtube video just made it happen. I couldn't get it to work otherwise. So really my rationale was: "video worked best, I wish it was all in video form." It also put the wiki in perspective so I could figure out what I didn't understand and why it might have been difficult.

#11 2012-03-18 20:45:20

Earnestly

Archenduser wrote:

"video worked best, I wish it was all in video form."

No one is stopping you smile

#12 2012-03-18 21:07:35

Website

While video would be a better way to explain SOME stuff, its true it will get old quickly. If an Arch user makes a video explaining in detail any page of the wiki or procedure it would be nice that they include the link on the "Resources" part of the relevant wiki page big_smile

That way if its not relevant any more the only thing needed its to either remove the link or contact the author to update the video big_smile

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#13 2012-03-19 14:06:15

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Archenduser wrote:

For me, a youtube video just made it happen. I couldn't get it to work otherwise. So really my rationale was: "video worked best, I wish it was all in video form." It also put the wiki in perspective so I could figure out what I didn't understand and why it might have been difficult.

Bad rationale smile You're saying: "since a video solved my issue, then videos are the best way to solve all issues".
Actually the problem is not what media carries the content (wiki, video, ...) but probably the wiki is not very clear somewhere or should be expanded to cover your specific issue. Being a wiki, you can directly go and edit it.

#14 2012-03-19 14:13:30

Awebb

I find the fact curious, that so many people don't believe anything that has been written, until they see somebody type. But I wouldn't mind, if you made a video of, say, the Beginner's Guide. Just start hacking. Others will follow.

Board footer