You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-19 01:32:33

Durzo

Yaourt - Bad Install? Trying to remove and install properly...

Hello all, I just posted in the "Newbie Announcement Thread" and I'm about as new to Linux as someone can get. I picked up the Arch ISO a few days ago and followed the Beginners Guide on the wiki and have installed Xfce4 and GDM on my Sony Laptop so far. I was looking for a AUR Helper and thought to go with Yaourt based on some brief search results.

I goofed up, and got impatient i think ... please be gentle.

I downloaded http://mir.archlinux.fr/~tuxce/releases … 0.1.tar.gz from the AUR and extracted it.

[durzo@PCNAME ~]$ cd /home/durzo/yaourt-1.0.1
bash: cd: /home/nexus/yaourt-1.0.1: No such file or directory
[durzo@PCNAME ~]$ cd /home/durzo/Downloads/yaourt-1.0.1
[durzo@PCNAME yaourt-1.0.1]$ make install
	GEN yaourt.sh
	GEN pacdiffviewer.sh
	GEN lib/util.sh
	GEN lib/pkgbuild.sh
	GEN lib/pacman.sh
	GEN lib/abs.sh
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/bin
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/lib/yaourt': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
[durzo@PCNAME yaourt-1.0.1]$ sudo make install
Password: 
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/bin
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/etc
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d
/bin/install  -d /usr/local/share/man/man{5,8}
# Scripts
/bin/install  -m755 yaourt.sh /usr/local/bin/yaourt
/bin/install  -m755 pacdiffviewer.sh /usr/local/bin/pacdiffviewer
# Configuration
/bin/install  -m644 yaourtrc /usr/local/etc/yaourtrc
/bin/install  -m644 bashcompletion /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d/yaourt
# Libs
/bin/install  -m644 lib/alpm_backup.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/alpm_query.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/alpm_stats.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/abs.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/aur.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/util.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/io.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/pacman.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/pkgbuild.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
/bin/install  -m644 lib/misc.sh /usr/local/lib/yaourt
# Man
/bin/install  -m644 man/*.5 /usr/local/share/man/man5
/bin/install  -m644 man/*.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8
# Locales
test -x /usr/bin/msgfmt && for file in po/*/*.po; \
do \
  package=$(echo $file | /bin/sed -e 's#po/\([^/]\+\).*#\1#'); \
  lang=$(echo $file | /bin/sed -e 's#.*/\([^/]\+\).po#\1#'); \
  /bin/install  -d /usr/local/share/locale/$lang/LC_MESSAGES; \
  /usr/bin/msgfmt -o /usr/local/share/locale/$lang/LC_MESSAGES/$package.mo $file; \
done
[durzo@PCNAME yaourt-1.0.1]$ yaourt
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)
[durzo@PCNAME yaourt-1.0.1]$ yaourt -h
Usage: yaourt <operation> [...]
operations:
	yaourt (search pattern|package file)
	yaourt {-h --help}
	yaourt {-V --version}
	yaourt {-Q --query}       [options] [package(s)]
	yaourt {-R --remove}      [options] <package(s)>
	yaourt {-S --sync}        [options] [package(s)]
	yaourt {-U --upgrade}     [options] <package(s)>
	yaourt {-C --clean}       [options]
	yaourt {-B --backup}      [save directory|restore file]
	yaourt {-G --getpkgbuild} [options] <package(s)>
	yaourt {--stats}

I'm thinking I had more steps to do maybe? or was "make install" it? I ask because pacman does not see Yaourt installed so i cannot "pacman -Rns yaourt" and i'm getting an error when I try to do anything with yaourt.

[durzo@PCNAME ~]$ sudo pacman -Rns yaourt
Password: 
error: target not found: yaourt
[durzo@PCNAME ~]$ yaourt -Syua
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
==> WARNING: problem in pkgbuild.sh library
/usr/local/lib/yaourt/util.sh: line 163: package-query: command not found

[durzo@PCNAME ~]$ 

Did I do something wrong to break yaourt or is this something different that i'm missing? I do not think i have the "package-query" package installed that is available on the AUR, but i didn't know it needed to be installed along with yaourt.

#2 2012-03-19 01:43:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Yaourt - Bad Install? Trying to remove and install properly...

Read up about the AUR, 'make install' should be left to the PKGBUILD unless you know what you're doing (which you don't, yet, it seems). AUR wiki page will explain almost everything you need at this point.

I'd actually recommend you DON'T use yaourt.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-03-19 01:45:05

Meyithi
Website

EDIT/ no matter, I'm slow today! See above.

Last edited by Meyithi (2012-03-19 01:46:00)

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#4 2012-03-19 01:53:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ngoonee, is there any reason to avoid yaourt?  That's an honest question, not any sort of baiting.  I'm curious as I've been very happy with it.

@OP: once you remove/undo what you've done, you'll want to use makepkg (or `makepkg -i`) to install yaourt properly.

Alternately, you can add the archlinuxfr repo and install it via pacman as described here.  I've seen some criticize archlinuxfr as not staying up to date.  But even if true, one can remove the repo from pacman.conf once yaourt is installed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-03-19 02:40:47

Durzo

ngoonee wrote:

Read up about the AUR, 'make install' should be left to the PKGBUILD unless you know what you're doing (which you don't, yet, it seems). AUR wiki page will explain almost everything you need at this point.

I'd actually recommend you DON'T use yaourt.

will do, and thanks for the tip. I originally used the "makepkg" command and was told there was no makepkg file in the directory where i uncompressed everything to.

Trilby wrote:

@OP: once you remove/undo what you've done, you'll want to use makepkg (or `makepkg -i`) to install yaourt properly.

Alternately, you can add the archlinuxfr repo and install it via pacman as described here.  I've seen some criticize archlinuxfr as not staying up to date.  But even if true, one can remove the repo from pacman.conf once yaourt is installed.

how might i go about undoing my mistake?

#6 2012-03-19 02:48:01

Meyithi
Website

Trilby wrote:

ngoonee, is there any reason to avoid yaourt?  That's an honest question, not any sort of baiting.  I'm curious as I've been very happy with it.

General consensus is that people should learn how to makepkg manually before jumping straight in with a helper, as this post proves, a scary amount of people don't know where yaourt ends and makepkg begins.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#7 2012-03-19 02:55:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Durzo, you can check the Makefile for an uninstall directive.  ie, cd back into the source directory and run `make uninstall` (and cross your fingers).  If/When that fails just go through the list which you posted in your OP and delete each of the files that were installed.

makepkg gave the error because it looks like you downloaded the source code, not the "package".  All that's really needed for makepkg to run is a PKGBUILD file.

Edit: Meyithi, thanks, that makes sense.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-03-19 02:57:39)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2012-03-19 04:35:53

Durzo

Trilby wrote:

Durzo, you can check the Makefile for an uninstall directive.  ie, cd back into the source directory and run `make uninstall` (and cross your fingers).  If/When that fails just go through the list which you posted in your OP and delete each of the files that were installed.

makepkg gave the error because it looks like you downloaded the source code, not the "package".  All that's really needed for makepkg to run is a PKGBUILD file.

Edit: Meyithi, thanks, that makes sense.

indeed I had to manually delete all of the files I had created with the "make install" cmd. I also did not see that I downloaded the source instead of the tarball / pkgbuild file. I've corrected this now and have installed yaourt and it's dependencies, thanks all for the tips and advice!!

I have another question concerning this learning experience. Some of the yaourt files i had to remove were the only file in a folder that may or may not have been created by my haphazard install. If i were to remove a directory that is empty, will it automatically be created the next time something is installed and that directory is required again?

#9 2012-03-19 10:09:45

meph

Trilby wrote:

I asked the same question, because I see a lot of people advising against using yaourt. The dev answer I got was that yaourt is safe to use, as long as YOU know what you're doing.

My rule of thumb to avoid problems is to let yaourt manage AUR packages only, i.e. let pacman handle system-wide updates. No 'yaourt -Syau' laziness, if you think about it, it's high risk to let a 3rd party program manage updates of your whole system.

Running arch is like raising a puppy - if you spend a bit of time with it each day and do just a bit of training you'll end up with the most loyal partner you could want; if you lock it in a room and don't check on if for several days, it'll tear apart your stuff and poop everywhere.

#10 2012-03-19 11:24:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

Durzo, I'm sure you're delighted you got yaourt installed, and hopefully you learned something, but IMO you're getting off to a bad start. Others have already said it, but it's worth saying again - fi you're going to use the AUR, learn how it works first before you start using any helper application. Your self-confessed uber-noobiness makes this an even more crucial requirement.

#11 2012-03-19 16:36:56

Durzo

tomk wrote:

Durzo, I'm sure you're delighted you got yaourt installed, and hopefully you learned something, but IMO you're getting off to a bad start. Others have already said it, but it's worth saying again - fi you're going to use the AUR, learn how it works first before you start using any helper application. Your self-confessed uber-noobiness makes this an even more crucial requirement.

As meph mentioned, I too intended on having Yaourt only install AUR packages keeping pacman the primary in package installation.

"learn how it works first" ...do you mean download each tarball PKGBUILD from the AUR separately, and then install with the "makepkg -is" command?

#12 2012-03-20 02:28:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Durzo wrote:
tomk wrote:

As meph mentioned, I too intended on having Yaourt only install AUR packages keeping pacman the primary in package installation.

The point is to know how to use the AUR without relying on a helper, because yaourt is more than a 'helper'. Something like 'cower' is much more of a helper in that you still have to take care of the main steps yourself. Using yaourt instead of pacman for -Syu doesn't change much, its using it as a 'pacman for the AUR' which can cause confusion. Which is as well the only reason to use it....

Durzo wrote:

"learn how it works first" ...do you mean download each tarball PKGBUILD from the AUR separately, and then install with the "makepkg -is" command?

Yes. The fact that you even know that's what you have to do is already good (perhaps better than those who have right-away gone for yaourt).

There's no inherent 'negative' to yaourt (if you ignore the fact that it may not work following some pacman/libarchive upgrades) if you know how to live without it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer