You are not logged in.

#26 2012-03-20 16:24:08

Amancio

Re: [SOLVED] grub2 1:2.00beta2-1 problems

Sorry for this (probably) silly question, but all this boot process is still a mistery for me.

My system has a GPT disk booting from bios (no UEFI). What I did to upgrade:

modprobe dm-mod
grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After a restart now I get something like this:

Welcome to Grub!
error: file '/boot/grub/locale/en.mo.gz' not found

then the boot continues and the system is loaded OK. I don't have any submenus or menus at grub; my grub timeout is set to 0.

I think I can ignore this message, right? But... did I miss something?  By the way, in "/boot/grub/locale/" I have some files like "en@piglatin.mo", "en@quot.mo" and "uk.mo", but no "en.mo.gz".

Last edited by Amancio (2012-03-20 16:25:23)

http://euterpe.blog.br/
Blog de música clássica (pt-BR)

#27 2012-03-20 16:33:55

pouar
Website

Amancio wrote:

Sorry for this (probably) silly question, but all this boot process is still a mistery for me.

My system has a GPT disk booting from bios (no UEFI). What I did to upgrade:

modprobe dm-mod
grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda

After a restart now I get something like this:

Welcome to Grub!
error: file '/boot/grub/locale/en.mo.gz' not found

then the boot continues and the system is loaded OK. I don't have any submenus or menus at grub; my grub timeout is set to 0.

I think I can ignore this message, right? But... did I miss something?  By the way, in "/boot/grub/locale/" I have some files like "en@piglatin.mo", "en@quot.mo" and "uk.mo", but no "en.mo.gz".

I just fixed this a few seconds ago and was going to post how, basically I just did "cp /boot/grub/locale/en@quot.mo /boot/grub/locale/en_US.mo" which seem to do the trick, the reason I didn't fix this sooner is the error only stays up for a very small fraction of a second making it hard to read.

Last edited by pouar (2012-03-20 16:37:15)

Yep, I'm a diaperfur now, I guess

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done
for i in {\ metal,core,grind};do echo death$i rules\!;done

#28 2012-03-21 14:44:31

Amancio

pouar wrote:

I just fixed this a few seconds ago and was going to post how, basically I just did "cp /boot/grub/locale/en@quot.mo /boot/grub/locale/en_US.mo" which seem to do the trick, the reason I didn't fix this sooner is the error only stays up for a very small fraction of a second making it hard to read.

Thank you, it worked!  I tested with "en_US.mo" and "en.mo", it worked in both cases.

http://euterpe.blog.br/
Blog de música clássica (pt-BR)

#29 2012-03-21 23:24:34

ron9

Amancio wrote:

Thank you, it worked!  I tested with "en_US.mo" and "en.mo", it worked in both cases.

I got almosts same error but I need .mo file for norwegian. Anybode know how to generate one?

lenovo w500 - huawei matebook 14 | archlinux | swaywm | alacritty | falkon

#30 2012-03-21 23:39:14

Jristz

for es.mo.gz not found too
and the os-release problem too apeared now (bug reported)

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#31 2012-03-22 04:27:33

SyXbiT
Website

I'm seeing the exact same error as the OP, problem is i'm on a GPT disk, so I don't know how to do the grub-install.
Any ideas?

#32 2012-03-22 09:28:27

ron9

SyXbiT wrote:

I'm seeing the exact same error as the OP, problem is i'm on a GPT disk, so I don't know how to do the grub-install.
Any ideas?

From excellent wiki:

To setup grub2-bios in the 440-byte Master Boot Record boot code region, populate the /boot/grub directory, generate the /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img file, and embed it in the 32 KiB (minimum size - varies depending on partition alignment) post-MBR gap (MBR disks) or in BIOS Boot Partition (GPT disks), run:
# grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda

lenovo w500 - huawei matebook 14 | archlinux | swaywm | alacritty | falkon

#33 2012-03-22 23:19:50

cfr

SyXbiT wrote:

Any ideas?

Are you booting in UEFI or BIOS mode? If UEFI, either look on the first page of this thread for the reply I received or look at the wiki. (If BIOS, the previous reply addresses that.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#34 2012-03-23 00:02:34

SyXbiT
Website

ron9 wrote:
SyXbiT wrote:

Any ideas?

From excellent wiki:

To setup grub2-bios in the 440-byte Master Boot Record boot code region, populate the /boot/grub directory, generate the /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img file, and embed it in the 32 KiB (minimum size - varies depending on partition alignment) post-MBR gap (MBR disks) or in BIOS Boot Partition (GPT disks), run:
# grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda

thanks for the help. I missed that line in the wiki
this is what worked for me

modprobe dm-mod
cp /boot/grub/locale/en@quot.mo /boot/grub/locale/en_US.mo
mkinitcpio -p linux

It's a pitty this bug made it past the testing repo, but glad it's sorted out now.

Last edited by SyXbiT (2012-03-23 00:02:52)

#35 2012-03-23 05:59:08

mankand007
Website

Hi all,

i upgraded grub today, and when I tried to run grub-mkconfig after reboot, I got the following:

[root@archblacky blacky]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
  No volume groups found
Found Arch on /dev/sdb1
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sdb2
done

After boot, when I tried to login, I got a couple of error messages, but after pressing Enter the system booted fine.
I'll note the error messages during next boot..
Basically I would like to know what's happening. Is anything wrong here? or should am I supposed to have done something which I missed?

Please advice. Thanks!

Custom built Openbox Arch linux 64

blog:
http://manikandan.means.it

#36 2012-03-24 23:47:39

akspecs

mankand007 wrote:

Hi all,

i upgraded grub today, and when I tried to run grub-mkconfig after reboot, I got the following:

[root@archblacky blacky]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
  No volume groups found
Found Arch on /dev/sdb1
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sdb2
done

After boot, when I tried to login, I got a couple of error messages, but after pressing Enter the system booted fine.
I'll note the error messages during next boot..
Basically I would like to know what's happening. Is anything wrong here? or should am I supposed to have done something which I missed?

Please advice. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem you are.  My I had no problems before this stupid grub2 update.  Why do we have to fiddle with things like grub!?  If it works it works.  Stuff like that doesn't need updating.

Last edited by akspecs (2012-03-24 23:50:15)

#37 2012-03-25 22:54:25

cfr

Did you reinstall grub to disk using the updated wiki instructions or those earlier in this thread? Depends whether you are using bios or efi...

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#38 2012-03-26 00:46:35

akspecs

I had grub installed to a partition using a the old method of the past ( because that's when I installed it ).  After updating grub there were a few failed to ins_mod_efi_gop or and two other errors but since I had installed my grub2 to a partition in the PAST it was okay.  The work around to avoid the delay from the insmod errors was the comment out those insmod's in the grub.cfg.

Installing the new grub on a fresh system to a partition as I had in the past failed me.  When booting the newly installed Linux, I get to a black screen with grub in the top right corner.  When installing grub2 using the old grub2 binaries and the old grub_bios-install method (as opposed to the new grub-install and the i386 stuff) I am able to boot the linux with grub2 installed to the root partition with no problem.  The Chimera boot loader sees the linux partition and boots it with no problem.

So, what I do is install Arch Linux from an ISO that has the old binaries - install the grub2 the old way with the old binaries - and then update the system.  After that I comment out any insmod statements that cause the system problems (though grub2 prior to the updates never did this).

So my question is, why doesn't my grub2 load properly when chainloading it through another bootloader (chimera/chameleon in my case, and no I doubt it's that bootloaders fault because previous grub2 versions work like a charm).  The new install to partition method is as follows:

# chattr -i /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
# grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --force --debug /dev/sdaX
# chattr +i /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

which doesn't work for me, as opposed to this method which always worked fine in the past

# chattr -i /boot/grub/core.img
# grub_bios-install --boot-directory=/boot --no-floppy --recheck --force --debug /dev/sdaX
# chattr +i /boot/grub/core.img

Any tips or suggestions?

Board footer