You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-12 20:05:01

Unia
Website

Pidgin farsight2 error using Google Talk video calls

Hey all,

I'm trying to get video calls to work on Google Talk, unsuccesfull so far. I have all the deps installed (using Pidgin from [extra]) and the account works. I can send and receive messages, but that's it.

I can receive sound, but can't send. I can see my own webcam, but my contact doesn't see mine and I don't see hers. Whenever the call is established, I get this error:

┌─[jente@lappy ~][20:53:56] 
└─■ pidgin
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: kan gedeeld objectbestand niet openen: Bestand of map bestaat niet

I don't know why it defaults to libvdpau, as I own an ATi card. Anyway, I then try to mess with the settings as per so:

Video -> Output -> Plug-in: X Window System (Xv), Device: AMD Radeon AVIVO Video.

But it still crashes, with the same error.

That made me think that perhaps it is the input, so I changed those like so:

Video -> Input -> Plug-in: Test Input, Device: Standard.

Same error.

Next step, like below, still same error:

Video -> Input -> Plug-in: Video4Linux2, Device: Standard.

Lastly, I changed like this, but still, same error:

Video -> Input -> Plug-in: Video4Linux2, Device: Video WebCam.

Can someone explain to me why it keeps erroring out looking for an nVidia specific library?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2012-02-13 19:40:22

Unia
Website

Re: Pidgin farsight2 error using Google Talk video calls

So I used pkgfile to find out which package contains libvdpau_nvidia.so:

┌─[jente@lappy ~][20:38:24] 
└─■ pkgfile -s libvdpau_nvidia.so
multilib/lib32-nvidia-utils
extra/nvidia-utils

I thought I could try to install nvidia-utils, as that might fix my issue. But I'm using Catalyst (as I said I got an ATI card) and nvidia-utils conflicts with catalyst-utils. So, I'm stuck again. Can anyone please fill in the blanks for me?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3 2012-02-13 20:01:15

Unia
Website

Oke, now I installed gstreamer-vaapi and now I'm getting alot more output than before, see here: http://pastebin.com/RZZm8zrt

Should I file another bugreport?

#4 2012-03-20 22:03:26

lartza

Same problem here, pacman -Rdd libvdpau is a dirty workaround (pidgin doesn't crash, gstreamer seems to skip vdpau), but it breaks for eg. mplayer (and whatnot). Removing gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins temporarily also fixes it

So the problem is in the gstreamer-bad-plugins package trying to use vdpau even though it's not there. There's probably even a config entry somewhere for it but I can't find it.

#5 2012-03-20 22:11:56

Unia
Website

At least you pin-pointed where the error is. Perhaps file a bugreport on that somewhere?

I have reverted back to Skype as 1) it runs cooler now that I have gstreamer-vaapi and 2) I had other issues with Pidgin so I ditched it anyway.

Good luck sorting your issue. I'll be glad to help test some if you need someone to, feel free to PM or email me on this.

#6 2012-03-21 02:29:43

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

lartza wrote:

Same problem here, pacman -Rdd libvdpau is a dirty workaround (pidgin doesn't crash, gstreamer seems to skip vdpau), but it breaks for eg. mplayer (and whatnot).

If you're okay with dirty workarounds, mplayer's libvdpau dependency can be symlinked away smile. (Not xine's though).

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer