You are not logged in.

#226 2012-03-24 00:32:30

BurntSushi
Website

Re: PyTyle: Manual tiling manager for EWMH compliant WM's

ERiS,

Which version of pytyle are you using? There are three of them. Assuming you're using the first, to get auto-tiling working correct, see the comments in the config file. Namely:

# This configuration sets the default tiler to "Vertical", and the
# default tiler of Screen 1 to "Horizontal" (so all desktops on
# Screen 1 will have a horizontal layout at first). Also, this will
# set the default layout on Screen 0 for desktops 4 and 6 to
# "Horizontal".
#
# Note: Screen and desktop numbers start from 0. So desktop 4 should
# be configured using "3" below.
#
# Take note of the following desktop/viewport numbering scheme:
# One row: 0 1 2 3
# Multiple rows:
# 0 1 2
# 3 4 5
# 6 7 8
#Config.TILING = {
#                 0: {
#                       5: 'Horizontal',
#                       7: 'Horizontal',
#                    },
#                 1: 'Horizontal',
#                 }

It sounds like you want to specify tiling on a desktop-by-desktop basis, so you should disable global tiling and do something like the above.

As for the Firefox bug... You may be able to work around this by just issuing another tiling command like "Alt-a."

Last edited by BurntSushi (2012-03-24 00:33:12)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#227 2012-03-24 01:34:09

karabaja4
Website

edit: sorry, remove this post

Last edited by karabaja4 (2012-03-24 01:47:39)

#228 2012-03-24 02:37:01

ERiS

Yes, I read the comments on the file, I just don't understand what I should write if I don't want anything to tile in the 3rd desktop.
If I do
Config.TILING = {
0: {
0: 'Vertical',
1: 'Vertical',
}
}
The third desktop still tiles, even with global_tiling set to False.

I'm using the pytyle from here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29573 latest version pytyle 0.7.5-1
Should I change to another one? Looks like I should try pytyle2, I'll read up the google page.

Pytyle is really great, thanks for sharing it with others. It does just what I need, WITHOUT giving me bloodshot eyes from being up all night configuring it, if you know what I mean ;P *coughxmodnadawesomecough*

#229 2012-03-24 03:10:24

BurntSushi
Website

ERiS wrote:

Yes, I read the comments on the file, I just don't understand what I should write if I don't want anything to tile in the 3rd desktop.
If I do
Config.TILING = {
0: {
0: 'Vertical',
1: 'Vertical',
}
}
The third desktop still tiles, even with global_tiling set to False.

If global_tiling is false and that's exactly what you have for Config.TILING and desktop 3 automatically tiles, then it's a bug. (It should still tile if you use Alt+a though.)

I'll be honest, I'm not sure when I'll get around to debugging it. I haven't touched the first version of pytyle in quite some time, and I'm a bit strapped for time at the moment.

ERiS wrote:

I'm using the pytyle from here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29573 latest version pytyle 0.7.5-1
Should I change to another one? Looks like I should try pytyle2, I'll read up the google page.

pytyle2 will give you even more flexibility, and it will probably work for you. (The big caveat with pytyle2 is that it can become a memory hog and can be slow if you have a large number of windows. But the only way to know if it's suitable is to try it.)

If you take a look at pytyle2's default config, you should be able to add something like:

[Workspace0]
tile_on_startup = Yes

[Workspace1]
tile_on_startup = Yes

and have 'tile_on_startup' under '[Global]' set to 'no'. That ought to do what you want. (Even if you have multiple monitors.)

Also, I would advise against trying to use any of the manual tiling features of pytyle2. It was experimental and honestly doesn't work too well under all circumstances.

If you need any more help configuring pytyle2, let me know---it's not documented very well.

There is also pytyle3, but its configuration ability is lacking. It won't let you set per-workspace/monitor settings.

ERiS wrote:

Pytyle is really great, thanks for sharing it with others. It does just what I need, WITHOUT giving me bloodshot eyes from being up all night configuring it, if you know what I mean ;P *coughxmodnadawesomecough*

No problem. I haven't played with awesome too much, but I have used xmonad extensively. You can get a lot with xmonad by copying and pasting from others, but if you really want to tailor it specifically to your needs, you'll have to know Haskell. Which has a bit of a steep learning curve :-)

@karabaja4 - See my post on difference between pytyle 1, 2 and 3.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

#230 2012-03-25 00:03:59

anonymous_user

BurntSushi wrote:

There is also pytyle3, but its configuration ability is lacking. It won't let you set per-workspace/monitor settings.

Are you working on expanding its feature set (such as per-workspace/monitor setting)?

BurntSushi wrote:

Very informative. Thanks.

#231 2012-03-25 01:52:32

BurntSushi
Website

anonymous_user wrote:
BurntSushi wrote:

Are you working on expanding its feature set (such as per-workspace/monitor setting)?

I wasn't planning on it, but it sounds like it may be "the feature" that holds someone back from upgrading to pytyle3 from pytyle1.

I'll see what I can do in the next couple of weeks.

Board footer