You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-15 07:25:36

koyi

"Checking Filesystem" remains [BUSY] at boot

Hi, I have just installed Arch and rebooted it several times. And I notice that everytime it boots, it checks the filesystems. This is fine for me but what bothers me is that, the status of this operation remains as [BUSY] for quite long, until the login prompt appears it is still showing that it is [BUSY]. (Others have turned to [DONE])

So, is this normal? Anybody else has the same phenomenon?

Btw, this is Arch 0.7 installed with a base installation disc via FTP.

Thanks.

#2 2005-08-15 15:22:12

koyi

Re: "Checking Filesystem" remains [BUSY] at boot

Oh, I think I know why it stays [BUSY] for that long. IMHO, when the process started, it prints a line about it together with a status of [BUSY] at the end of the line, hoping that when the process is finished, this [BUSY] can be updated and show [DONE] instead.

This works well if the process doesn't print any output. But with this filesystem check, it prints the status of filesystems along the way. So when the process is done and the init script(or whatever) tries to update the [BUSY] status to [DONE], it is already a few lines after where [BUSY] is printed. So [DONE] is printed on a new line alone, after the status of the filesystems.

I hope this is the correct explanation, if it isn't someone please correct me.

Anyway, I feel this [BUSY] -> [DONE] things quite confusing if the above explanation is true. What about just printing [DONE] instead...  roll

#3 2005-08-17 03:45:01

jftaylor21

Re: "Checking Filesystem" remains [BUSY] at boot

mine does it too, although I am not sure why. I noticed it does the same thing with all my arch linux installs. I haven't experienced any problems with it though so I figure everything is ok. (I hope)

Board footer