You are not logged in.

#476 2012-03-19 23:08:55

kuraku

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

kuraku wrote:

Also, i would like to add one feature request:
Make monsterwm save size of clients if we change modes. So if i resize master area in bstack and then change to tile (and even then revert back to bstack), make it save clients ratio. It could be nice to have it smile

Any way to get this in master? Not sure how it will affects sloc but imho it would be nice to have. What are others thinking?

#477 2012-03-19 23:28:58

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I think this can be done easily smile but you wont be able to reset to the default ratio
btw, I hadn't noticed that post, If I don't answer to something, just keep bugging me tongue

.:[ git me! ] :.

#478 2012-03-19 23:33:15

kuraku

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

I think this can be done easily smile but you wont be able to reset to the default ratio

This is default behaviour from dwm and many of us are former/parallel users of it.

#479 2012-03-20 00:38:29

mhertz

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

I think it wont get into master for now, but ofcourse I'll keep it up to date.
Maybe in the future and if people really want it.

OK! Imho, then I think it's nice that you add branches for the "special" kinda stuff that not nearly all tiling-users want(e.g. uselessgaps wtf?), but things like nmaster imho is a pretty "standard" and really usefull tiling approach, and as e.g. even dwm have nmaster in vanilla version, but of course your choise smile

Btw, the only thing that I currently can think off suggesting for master, is defining standard tiling modes per-desktop in config.h, like dwm's pertag2 and initlayout...

Last edited by mhertz (2012-03-20 00:42:32)

#480 2012-03-20 03:06:29

firecat53
Website

Hey, I may have missed a discussion about this earlier in this thread, but is there a 'floating' mode like dwm, where all windows in a desktop are considered floating? I checked the code briefly and didn't see anything obvious, and I haven't seen it in any of the sample config.h's that I've seen. I know you can assign a particular window to be 'floating' in config.h. I'm just wondering about making a whole desktop that way.

2nd question: is there a way to send a named terminal window (such as 'urxvtc -title music') to a particular desktop? It seems that monster will read the window class but not the title?

3rd question: keepassx has a great auto-fill feature that doesn't seem to work in monsterwm. I'm wondering if this is because the wm doesn't announce the window title?

Thanks!!
Scott

#481 2012-03-20 09:48:18

c00kiemon5ter
Website

there is no floating mode as such. you can either set a window floating in the rules or when spawned resize it or move it, which will mark it as floating.

2. monsterwm doesn't know about titles, but only the class and app name

WM_CLASS(STRING): "app", "foo" 

if you want to distinguish a terminal app from the terminal itself asign it a different class.

you can do this either in the config, where you'd create a new command for the app

... *irccmd = { "urxvt", "-name", "irssi", "-e", "irssi", NULL };

and bind that to a shortcut

or with this is helper in your ~/.bashrc:

# set the terminal class/name as the app name
classify() {
    local _term="urxvtc" _classopt="-name"
    for app in "$@"; do
        alias $app="${_term} ${_classopt} ${app} -e ${app}"
    done
}
classify irssi ncmpcpp foo # the apps you want to distinguish

this will automaticall create aliases for your cli apps, which will asign their name as the class of the terminal.
so in this case, irssi will be aliased to 'urxvt -name irssi -e irssi' and when spawned the term will have the 'irssi' class.
now whenever you start irssi it will be in its own terminal it with the properties you specified.

3. I have no idea tongue

#482 2012-03-20 12:23:32

c00kiemon5ter
Website

kuraku wrote:

Also, i would like to add one feature request:
Make monsterwm save size of clients if we change modes. So if i resize master area in bstack and then change to tile (and even then revert back to bstack), make it save clients ratio. It could be nice to have it smile

alright, it's there, check it.

IMPORTANT! changes in config.h (in case you're not using the default)

* you have to change NEXT to +1 and PREV to -1
* resize_master value is now -1 and +1 instead of -10 and +10

internally [+-]10 used to be pixel size,
now [+-]1 means 1% of the screen width/height (in tile/bstack).
[+-]1 is the minimum step.

#483 2012-03-21 02:19:36

kuraku

@c00kiemon5ter
It is working as expected. It is resizing master area and it is keeping ratio saved (per workspace which is great).
Thank you smile

#484 2012-03-21 04:09:36

firecat53
Website

How much extra code would it take to add in the window titles as a property? I think this would solve my keepassx problem and also allow people to read the window title from the output stream if they'd like to add that info to their statusbar (sometimes useful when switching between a bunch of similar pdf's, for example). I'm guessing it would be something like dwm's updatetitle function added in someplace in monster's update_current function, then with something added to desktopinfo to send out the title with the other outputs.

Sorry I'm not more of a C hacker, or I'd send a patch smile Although I'm it's more complicated than it looks! Or perhaps you've got a good philosophical reason for not adding that functionality.

Another question: The libreoffice splash screen and some other dialog boxes get maximized by monsterwm. They seem to get handled correctly (I think) as transient windows by dwm, and it looks like you've got similar code in monster. Is this something you've noticed, or is it just a minor annoyance that isn't worth the effort to change?

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2012-03-21 04:10:44)

#485 2012-03-21 10:01:58

Cloudef

monsterwm on Open Pandora:
tZDNlZg
tZDNlZw

Been hacking with this little device for 3 weeks straight now, so I'm kind of dead with other things.
Next should compile all my hardfp archarm packages to softfp so I can coexist with evil proprietary blobs such as SGX.

About the setup:
I hacked quick "vimode" patch to it, so instead of always pressing two meta + somekey to do action.
You have "vimode" which you enter by pressing meta key and then you move control over applications to wm, and vice versa.
In vimode for example you can cycle windows with just typing, which is perfect for embedded device such this.

Also since it uses modes, it won't conflict with application's keybindings.

Also a bug! Midori seems to go over the bar space.

Last edited by Cloudef (2012-03-21 11:52:16)

#486 2012-03-21 16:53:15

c00kiemon5ter
Website

haha! that's great!

#487 2012-03-25 01:00:38

Shinryuu

Hey, sometimes I get a window glitching with some black lines.. also I can hear my graphics card running like a tornado. Anyone else getting this problem? This mostly happens when you have #define FOLLOW_MOUSE set to True yikes

Here's a screenshot I was able to capture:
tZDR4MA
Holy heck it happened again! This time I was able to get a picture with my camera:
tZDR4Zw

Last edited by Shinryuu (2012-03-25 01:32:40)

#488 2012-03-25 01:40:48

c00kiemon5ter
Website

this is actually clients changing focus repeatedly very quickly. the lines are the flickering between windows getting one upon the other. you don't see the whole window, but empty lines, because the transition is faster than drawing the complete area of the window.

I think I can work around this.

edit: or maybe not as easily as I'd like to.
it's almos 5am, so I'll look into it tomorrow.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-03-25 01:56:17)

#489 2012-03-25 01:51:19

Shinryuu

As I suspected.. like a bunch of galaxies banging each other's blackholes cool

I noticed another problem and it happens rarely. Sometimes applications just freezes and I can't move, resize or click on them. I wonder how to trace that problem? I'm using the master branch (updated yesterday)

Last edited by Shinryuu (2012-03-25 11:36:25)

#490 2012-03-25 13:28:54

F34R

Shinryuu wrote:

I noticed another problem and it happens rarely. Sometimes applications just freezes and I can't move, resize or click on them. I wonder how to trace that problem? I'm using the master branch (updated yesterday)

hm u use nV cards ?

#491 2012-03-25 13:38:15

Shinryuu

F34R wrote:
Shinryuu wrote:

hm u use nV cards ?

Yes I do, 9600GT here. Still I find this problem rather interesting because I've never experienced it before on any window managers, hope there's room to fix it cool

#492 2012-03-25 18:51:26

Asmir

Shinryuu wrote:

Same problem here.

#493 2012-03-25 20:32:46

c00kiemon5ter
Website

that has come up before, I had it fixed but then changed the code again.
this actually happens because of the flickering when changing clients.

I've fixed it locally, and got flickerless switching and restacking smile in less code big_smile smile
I'll push in a couple of hours probably, I'll post again.

#494 2012-03-25 22:40:41

c00kiemon5ter
Website

alright, pushed the code. I played around with FOLLOW_MOUSE but couldn't reproduce the behavior, so I think it's fixed. Please test and if you come across it again, please report wink thanks

just a note here on why I do not use FOLLOW_MOUSE. Setting to False, gives some very nice behavior, at least I find it as such; let me explain. When FOLLOW_MOUSE is set to False, one can focus, say a terminal (eg an irc session) and have a browser open. He can write to the irc channel, and at the same time use the mouse to browse the net, without the need to focus the browser or focus the irc client to send a message. This is very useful when coding and wanting to check something online, or just open a link, etc. Separating what the mouse does, and having the keyboard dictate what is focused and gets input, has very nice advantages in my opinion. Also I haven't seen this on another wm except moetune's dminiwm.
I've actually used this behavior in a funny manner. I had my girlfriend browse facebook (girly crap tongue) using the mouse,
while I was free to use the keyboard and write to irc, and hack a bash script for a friend. And it worked great big_smile

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-03-25 23:31:38)

#495 2012-03-25 23:17:11

Shinryuu

Excellent! I didn't expect you to modify the code that fast. I modified FOLLOW_MOUSE to FALSE and the behaviour is indeed pretty damn useful and interesting. I find it rather funny I didn't test that kind of stuff earlier. I'll keep you updated if I find something, thanks big_smile

EDIT1.

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Also I haven't seen this on another wm.

No wonder I didn't try it out earlier

Last edited by Shinryuu (2012-03-25 23:19:09)

#496 2012-03-26 00:25:54

moetunes

Shinryuu wrote:

Excellent! I didn't expect you to modify the code that fast. I modified FOLLOW_MOUSE to FALSE and the behaviour is indeed pretty damn useful and interesting. I find it rather funny I didn't test that kind of stuff earlier. I'll keep you updated if I find something, thanks big_smile

EDIT1.

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Also I haven't seen this on another wm.

No wonder I didn't try it out earlier

One of the many little gems that made catwm such a good base to expand on wink

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#497 2012-03-26 07:55:50

Asmir

@c00kiemon5ter
Thanks for fast fix, and for monsterwm.  smile

#498 2012-03-26 11:16:24

Ypnose
Website

I would really love to see a layout per tag saved into the config.h and reloaded automatically after every starts. It's the last thing I need before movin' to MonsterWM.
Nice work anyway.

Github -- My terminal font Envypn

#499 2012-03-26 11:18:16

el mariachi

thing is, there are no tags (or am I wrong oh great c00kie mastah?)

#500 2012-03-26 11:49:27

c00kiemon5ter
Website

no, there are no tags, but desktops. I was thinking on implementing tags,
but I now believe that tags are too much state to keep in mind.
Desktops are cleaner and simpler.
Also, imo tags should be created dynamically.

I think the only thing I liked about tags is that you could combine them.
That is, say you had a terminal tagged as "irc", and switched to "dev" tag,
one could tag the terminal as "dev" too, and that terminal would show on both "dev" and "irc".

I might try something similar in mosterwm, but things might break miserably big_smile
I have some kind of a plan in my mind that I think would work, but I don't know if it's worth it.

@Ypnose, that has been proposed in the past.
It is doable, but I can't think of a clean nice way to do it atm.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-03-26 11:50:19)

Board footer