I'm not posting a bug or problem. Just my experience these past few days -- an FYI for anyone else who has been fussing about with this.
I am a Linux user of "intermediate" experience. I use Arch (i686) with XFCE on a moderately old Acer Aspire 2920Z laptop -- and I was trying to get an analog clock on the screen without "cairo dock" (which I hate -- all I want from it is a clock, anyway).
Puppy Linux uses "xonclock" which is nice AND in the AUR -- but it no longer compiles due to a "freetype" version dependency issue. Xonclock is no longer being developed, so it likely won't ever work again.
I also tried "adesklets" with "adeskclock" (also both in the AUR), They compiled, but did not run -- and I didn't think I'd be posting here or I would have noted why they weren't running. Strike two.
Two things did work however and one surprised me: Cairo-clock (which is in the community repositories) and the Opera Widget "Analog Clock" (advertised as "Simple Analog Clock" or something close to that -- it's their most popular analog clock widget).
The thing that surprised me is that the Opera widget consumes considerably less CPU power than cairo-clock -- and looks better too, in my opinion (you click on the center dot to change skins).
I ran TOP under identical conditions, once using cairo-clock and once using the Opera widget. I did it several times to be sure. I saved the output as text and compared them in Meld -- here's a link to my screenshot of THAT: http://goo.gl/DCRNh As you can see, cairo-clock uses three times the CPU resources -- though somewhat less memory.
It took me a while to figure out that you use the "Always underneath" option in the Opera widget to keep it from having a window button in the panel -- but now, I seem to have a happy ending to this little Linux story (except that I hate Opera as a browser).
If anyone wants to educate me as to why I came to the wrong conclusions here, I'm all ears and I like to learn.
Thanks for sharing your experience - and welcome to the forums.
Technical note: I believe your link goes to your own private google file, not a publicly shared file - that link asks me to login to see anything.
Last year I went through a similar search for a good simple low-resource using analog clock. I eventually went with xclock - once I did a complete overhall in .Xdefaults to get it to look half decent. But I also learned, while experimenting with cairo-clock, that changing the update interval has a massive impact on its resource use. I threw cairo-clock away sever times as I couldn't believe when I started it up it used (and continued to use) around 15% of my CPU and a large hunk of memory. But by changing the refresh interval to something more reasonable, I got the resource use down to be comparable with many other clocks.
I still ditched cairo-clock for xclock once I got the later to fit nicely with my openbox setup.
I also tried cairo-clock and changed for xclock after I saw high cpu usage with cairo-clock.
xclock has unnoticeable cpu usage, and its aspect is configurable.
Here is how it looks presently: