You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-15 18:43:41

Shofs

If ALSA is compiled into the kernel what else do I need?

If ALSA is compiled into the kernel what else do I need to install if anything? I don't have sounds with Gaim unless I tell it to use the aplay %s command, and festival complains about not finding /dev/dsp which is OSS I think.

Do I need any of these to be installed even if I have my module compiled into the kernel or as a module?

current/alsa-driver 1.0.9b-2
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
current/alsa-lib 1.0.9-1
current/alsa-oss 1.0.9-1
    OSS compatibility library
current/alsa-utils 1.0.9-3
extra/alsaplayer 0.99.76-4
    AlsaPlayer is a new type of PCM player. It is heavily multi-threaded and
    tries to excercise the ALSA library and driver quite a bit.

#2 2005-08-15 19:01:11

archdaemon

Re: If ALSA is compiled into the kernel what else do I need?

All you should need is a mixer (alsa-utils includes it but something like aumix or rexima would be fine - better in this case).

I don't use the apps you mention but it sounds like config issues and not alsa itself.

#3 2005-08-15 19:51:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

You'll also need alsa-oss for your /dev/dsp issue.

#4 2005-08-15 20:27:30

Shofs

tomk wrote:

You'll also need alsa-oss for your /dev/dsp issue.

I thought it would have been more of a udev thing, setting the apporpriate symlink or something.

#5 2005-08-15 20:32:36

Shofs

What about the alsa initscript, is that still needed, or is that from the 2.4 kernel days? I guess I always assumed that since alsa was in the kernel that it didn't need to be started / stopped. I have never done a /etc/rc.d/alsa start or even put it into the daemons array. Should I?

#6 2005-08-15 21:00:06

ozar

Yeah, I have "alsa" in my DAEMONS section of the rc.conf file and it works great.

oz

#7 2005-08-15 21:04:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

rmbalfa wrote:

What about the alsa initscript, is that still needed, or is that from the 2.4 kernel days? I guess I always assumed that since alsa was in the kernel that it didn't need to be started / stopped. I have never done a /etc/rc.d/alsa start or even put it into the daemons array. Should I?

That script does not "start and stop" alsa - it's not a daemon... the rc.d script only performs the saving and restoring of volumes (because alsa volumes, by default, are muted and set to 0) on boot/shutdown

#8 2005-08-15 21:05:54

Shofs

phrakture wrote:
rmbalfa wrote:

That script does not "start and stop" alsa - it's not a daemon... the rc.d script only performs the saving and restoring of volumes (because alsa volumes, by default, are muted and set to 0) on boot/shutdown

Oh, well then, I guess I should put it in there. Thanks phrak.

#9 2005-08-15 22:49:14

iBertus

A few quick questions:

What's wrong with using `aplay %s` with gaim? Also, what sound card are you using and have you setup asound.conf correctly?

Is your user a member of the audio group

#10 2005-08-16 04:12:30

Shofs

iBertus wrote:

A few quick questions:

What's wrong with using `aplay %s` with gaim? Also, what sound card are you using and have you setup asound.conf correctly?

Is your user a member of the audio group

Nothing is wrong with it, but wish it would have worked without having to look that up and make it work with a workaround. Plus, that same problem interfers with other programs. I can't hear sound when I play a .swf in firefox, probably because it is looking for /dev/dsp as well. Iwant to learn how to fish, don't just give me the food, as the saying sort of goes.

I have a vortex 2, asound.conf never touched it myself. But sound works fine in other apps. I am just tired of not hearing when people instant message me.

Board footer