You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-28 10:56:18

jakobcreutzfeldt

Arch, Gnome and Systemd

I'm sorry if this topic has been specifically covered elsewhere or if this is the incorrect place to ask this. I've searched and I've only found hints of it.

I'm wondering, since Gnome will now have Systemd as a dependency, if there has been any plan as to how Arch will handle it in the future. At the moment, there is a fallback mechanism to use Consolekit but I can imagine that eventually this will change. Since Systemd replaces a core component of Arch, the much-touted BSD-style init system, those wishing to install Gnome face a non-trivial task of switching to Systemd. While Arch admirably takes the stance of leaving it up to the user to handle and support him/herself in such tasks, I can nonetheless foresee maintaining good Gnome support to be an increasingly difficult task, both in maintaining a set of packages which are diverging from the Arch base in a profound way and in handling an increasing amount of non-self-helpers flooding the forum with questions.

So has any sort of discussion taken place? What can Gnome users expect in the future?

Yes, I know that Gnome doesn't fit Arch's KISS philosophy. Yes, I know that Systemd doesn't fit Arch's KISS philosophy. Yes, I know that some people here hate Gnome and love to take any opportunity to take a jab at the Gnome developers. Yes, I know that people want to complain about Lennart Poettering, Systemd, or PulseAudio. This question is strictly about future Arch policy regarding Gnome (if it is to change).

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2012-03-28 10:58:00)

#2 2012-03-28 13:18:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch, Gnome and Systemd

Not sure exactly what you hope to achieve with this discussion, since its not likely to affect what actually takes place. wonder will decide on that, and most likely systemd will eventually become a dependency. Since it can exist side-by-side with sysvinit I don't see the problem, honestly.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-03-28 13:23:36

jakobcreutzfeldt

I wasn't asking to spur a discussion, really. I was just asking to know if any discussion had taken place. As a Gnome user, I was merely interested.

#4 2012-03-28 17:01:19

mythus
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Since it can exist side-by-side with sysvinit I don't see the problem, honestly.

With the "it" refering to systemd, I think we have our answer. In other words, Gnome sould work fine hwere with systemd as a dependecy, and would not / should not conflict with the main arch init.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#5 2012-03-28 17:47:55

jakobcreutzfeldt

Ok, I didn't know that it can live alongside sysvinit. Good to hear!

#6 2012-03-28 17:52:43

wonder
Developer
Website

for now, gnome 3.4 will have support for consolekit and systemd. it has runtime verification.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer