You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-21 23:44:10

bsilbaugh

Rorschach inkblot wallpaper

After reading some of the posts discussing the meaning of the arch logo and the various interpretations from the arch community, I decided to create a wallpaper in the theme of a Rorschach inkblot image.

Here's the first draft:
archlinux_inkblot-thumb.png

I would be interested to see if anyone has a more convincing inkblot image/drawing that resembles the arch logo (or other linux related symbolism).

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

#2 2012-03-22 00:58:58

bsilbaugh

Re: Rorschach inkblot wallpaper

archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v2.png

In retrospect, I decided that the "streaks" looked out of place, so I just removed them.

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain

#3 2012-03-22 01:18:15

Earnestly

Just a personal thought, why all the random globules of ink spatter? Rorschach Tests don't usually look like someone flicked ink all over the paper tongue
Otherwise, I like the concept.

edit: The "Keep it Simple" text seems to make it feel less authentic too, but then, I'm not sure what your goal was other than "resembling a Rorschach Test".

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-03-22 01:20:08)

#4 2012-03-22 01:44:57

FlyingHappy

I like the idea of the streaks.  Those just looked a little too perfect.  Might want to play with them a bit.  I really like it!

#5 2012-03-22 02:29:35

bsilbaugh

Kaustic wrote:

Just a personal thought, why all the random globules of ink spatter? Rorschach Tests don't usually look like someone flicked ink all over the paper tongue
Otherwise, I like the concept.

edit: The "Keep it Simple" text seems to make it feel less authentic too, but then, I'm not sure what your goal was other than "resembling a Rorschach Test".

You bring up a good point. In fact, they're usually symmetric. I believe it was Homer J. Simpson who said, "Do'h!"

Here is design that is at least symmetric. It also looks a bit like a moth/butterfly, which is consistent with some of Rorschach's inkblots.
archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v3.png

(Others are welcome to post their "vision" of a Arch inkblot if they've got one.)

EDIT: Fixed the shading/transparency in the image to make it look more like an unevenly dried pool of ink.

Last edited by bsilbaugh (2012-03-22 02:35:13)

#6 2012-03-22 10:51:42

Earnestly

Looking a lot better (imo tongue).
Moar personal opinion: Try adding some splotches of red in some symmetrical fashion, also I'd suggest keeping the cracks and closing up the seam down the centre (how about giving the paper some texture?)

Anyway, I'm not very good with Gimp/Inkwell so it's more than I could do. Good luck smile

#7 2012-03-22 12:10:13

GordonGR

Very good! Adding it to the collection :-) Thanks!

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

#8 2012-03-24 04:19:41

bsilbaugh

I tried using a different method for creating "inkblots". I think this looks more like a splattering of ink that has then been mirrored. Although, some of Rorchach's images look like he smeared or blotted the ink after dropping onto the page/canvas; perhaps this was because he mirrored the image by pressing two pieces of paper together?

The hard part is getting the blots to look random enough for the image of the arch logo to appear coincidental, yet coherent enough that the logo is discernible.

Anyways, here's the latest version:
archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v7.png

#9 2012-03-24 04:29:53

stlarch

Am I the only one that sees an evil looking dog?

#10 2012-03-24 04:47:44

FlyingHappy

I see a small skull at the top of the A

#11 2012-03-24 04:52:03

bsilbaugh

stlarch wrote:

Am I the only one that sees an evil looking dog?

Hmm... perhaps you'll want to bring this up at your next therapy session tongue

To be honest, to me it looks more like a teepee than the arch logo. Adding the "cracks" in the logo would help, but that would break the symmetry sad

#12 2012-03-24 11:43:14

Earnestly

bsilbaugh wrote:

but that would break the symmetry

Go for it, see what it looks like. But otherwise it's looking quite good (much closer to a Rorschach inkblot big_smile)

#13 2012-03-24 12:19:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I see the evil dog and the skull.

Bigger issue: what will they think if they ever give any of us a real inkblot test, for every single image we may say "I see an arch linux logo".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#14 2012-03-24 15:42:36

bsilbaugh

Ok, now I'm seeing the angry dog. It's just above the "arch", near the middle of the logo.

I would appear to have caught your psychosis. smile

#15 2012-03-24 19:56:24

bsilbaugh

So, now I'm just plain cheating smile

archlinux_rorschach-thumb-v2.png

#16 2012-03-24 21:51:16

Unia
Website

Now I see a spider! big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#17 2012-03-24 23:02:22

bsilbaugh

Unia wrote:

Now I see a spider! big_smile

Yeah, every time I look at this I see something different: bat, crab, spider, a rastafarian, a blob of ink.

#18 2012-03-24 23:03:47

bsilbaugh

Another blob. I tweaked the slogan a bit.

archlinux_rorchach-thumb-v2.png

#19 2012-03-24 23:26:30

wolfcore

These look great, nice work big_smile

#20 2012-03-24 23:29:45

oboedad55

bsilbaugh wrote:

I tried using a different method for creating "inkblots". I think this looks more like a splattering of ink that has then been mirrored. Although, some of Rorchach's images look like he smeared or blotted the ink after dropping onto the page/canvas; perhaps this was because he mirrored the image by pressing two pieces of paper together?

The hard part is getting the blots to look random enough for the image of the arch logo to appear coincidental, yet coherent enough that the logo is discernible.

Anyways, here's the latest version:
http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~silbaugh/archlinux/archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v7.png

I like this one, the previous version reminded me of an Indian teepee.

Registered Linux user #436067

#21 2012-03-25 14:08:43

GordonGR

bsilbaugh wrote:

I see Tweety (you know, the bird Sylvestro is trying to eat), plus his twin brother, swinging together. Oh dear…

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz, x86_64. AURs.

“No one without the knowledge of geometry may enter.“ Plato.

#22 2012-03-29 12:38:41

distrohopperarched

Here is design that is at least symmetric. It also looks a bit like a moth/butterfly, which is consistent with some of Rorschach's inkblots.
http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~silbaugh/archlinux/archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v3.png

(Others are welcome to post their "vision" of a Arch inkblot if they've got one.)

EDIT: Fixed the shading/transparency in the image to make it look more like an unevenly dried pool of ink.

Great idea. Congrats. I especially like the slogans here. "Arch linux: it's what you make it" and the version quoted above. This should be default... lol.

So, here how I'd imagine this...  I'm running out of resourses so I can't improve this...

tZDZ1aA

Last edited by distrohopperarched (2012-03-29 12:44:17)

#23 2012-03-29 18:44:38

piratebill

distrohopperarched wrote:

http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~silbaugh/archlinux/archlinux_inkblot-thumb-v3.png

Great idea. Congrats. I especially like the slogans here. "Arch linux: it's what you make it" and the version quoted above. This should be default... lol.

So, here how I'd imagine this...  I'm running out of resourses so I can't improve this...

http://ompldr.org/tZDZ1aA

That looks awesome!

#24 2012-03-29 18:47:28

bsilbaugh

distrohopperarched wrote:

http://ompldr.org/tZDZ1aA

Very nice! I think you've more or less nailed it. I particularly like the use of translucency to layer the logo "blot" on top of the other random-ish "blot". I've seen this effect in some of Rorschach's inkblots. Rorschach's inkblots also tend to be composed of a few moderate sized blots instead of a lot of tiny "spatter"--which you've also captured.

In regards to the "Arch Linux: It's what you make it" slogan, this is a paraphrase of Judd Vinet's characterization of Arch Linux (see The Arch Way).

#25 2012-03-29 19:30:00

distrohopperarched

Thanks !

Indeed it's two different pieces overlapping slightly and some spots. Another thing of these blots are edges - looking at some inkblots I noticed how the ink seems to flow and then run out of "itself" and due to cohesive/adhesive properties accumulate at the edges - drawing lines. But it depends on the form of the blot too - smaller areas like a tip of a "V" will be darker. The same thing goes for the folding-line where ink could accumulate. Also, that lower "cut" would probably only appear as a result of irregularity of paper and would probably come together flowing from the tip - resulting in a line rather, or a smaller cut. A smaller cut would also fit better with the lack of it on one side. I wanted to try this but I ran out of RAM and things became way too unresponsive to continue.

Perhaps someone could put some folded paper as a background and implement some of these tips.

Regarding the slogan, I meant the fact it is amazingly fitting for inkblots - it's what you choose to see in it. So it's a very good concept. It suits Arch well smile

Edit: regarding that lower cut - we could pretend the irregularity stole the ink from one side.

Last edited by distrohopperarched (2012-03-29 19:39:39)

Board footer