You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-09 13:07:34

arm

about pacman GUI

about pacman GUI,did anyone write a GUI wrapper on pacman?
and how to do it?

#2 2003-12-09 15:40:39

linfocito

Re: about pacman GUI

There's not such thing yet. I started one browser for repositories dbs that would be able to show informations about the packages and point what is already installed on system and, perhaps, wrap the package management, but I decided to wait until the pacman library get finished. (Because someone told me that such lib were in progress).

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#3 2003-12-09 20:33:10

jason

anybody know how far along the libpacman is?

if it's way way off, i'm going to try to make a gui for pacman...

#4 2003-12-09 20:59:22

undeadpenguin
Website

Yeah, pacman's not exactly the hardest tool ever made... and it's not like this distro's really made for newbies...

#5 2003-12-09 22:18:42

nifan

i think that building some sort of pacman gui would be a nice addon to arch, we all know that pacman is easy to use, but being able to offer the power of choice is great.
if someone wants to use an pacman GUI why sould we stop him? many new users try to run away from the CLI as often as possible.

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#6 2003-12-09 22:43:42

linfocito

IMHO there is just one thing that a gui (or ncurses) application could do to make things easier:

make a list (much like that of http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php) of the packages available in the db's downloaded with pacman -Sy, indicating (with a different color or some flag) what are already installed on the system. Maybe with the URL for the package clickable.

More a browser to the package db than a gui for pacman.

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#7 2003-12-10 02:15:59

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

When I first installed Arch Linux (one year ago), I liked the /arch/setup and I still do... its similar to FreeBSD's package tool. I was surprised the dialog based pacman was not included in the running Arch Linux and made an experimental "GUI" pacman based on the setup (last May).
http://amlug.net/new-projects/al-pcm/pcm.exp.html

Now I am so used with the konsole pacman and put aside the idea. But I still support the idea if AL plans to implement.

Markku

#8 2003-12-12 20:06:24

apeiro
Daddy
Website

I've been promising a pacman library for a long time now, and it is still on the roadmap, but not anywhere in immediate sight.  Too many other things are more pressing right now, including RL issues like work and school.

And design-wise, it's not quite time to refactor pacman's code into a modular structure to be libified.  Features are still being slowly added here and there, and I'd like to wait til we reach a developmental plateau before looking at pacman as a library.

So, the short of it is:  No library yet, but one day.  That's all I got.   smile

Board footer