You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-16 05:02:55

lestoil

new install post/upgrade xorgproblem

I am having trouble getting acceptible xorgconfig.  Following same in SLW10.1 and FrugalW I setup mouse with Auto (or IMPS/2) as dev/input/mouse (or mice) with ZaxisMapping "4  5" and Buttons "5"and SendCoreEvents "true" then did ususal nv setup but get fatal errors.  Getting errors with 2.6.10 and with new upgrade kernel.  Get question re do I have latest xorg? And corepointer could not be found.  Am I supposed to rerun Arch setup after new kernel. (Forgot to edit pacman file to exclude kernel upgrade) FW kernel upgrade didn't affect anything else.  Nor did SLW kernel upgrade.
  This is my 1st Arch install and I was pleasantly surprised to boot to login prompt.  Kde was installed and startx is ready for it.  So I am sure there is a reasonable fix to this xorg problem.
  Bootup says pppoe-ko and sis900 modules failed.  Sis900 is for pci  fast ethernet on mob.  But adsl-setup worked anyway.  I am not on network so having adsl-start working is great.  And need to find out how to setup scsi zip drive.  New kernel was better at listing it and the drive makes normal noises during boot up.
Mouse is usb/ps2 MS IntelliEye with scroll wheel.  Video card is Asustek Geforce4 ti4200 with 128mb ram.  Monitor is Sony hmda240 17 in crt.  Mob is Asus P4s800 with p4 2800mhz cpu.  Pci snd card is turtleBeach with aurealvortex2 chip. Pci scsi card is Diamond fast20/40 card with LSi Symbios5cr8xx chip.  sorry for typos.  Thanx. :?

#2 2005-08-16 06:20:49

lestoil

Re: new install post/upgrade xorgproblem

Main problem seems to be Mouse1-cannot open mouse and failed to initialize core devices.  /etc rc.conf has usbserial,mii(for Sis900) and usbcore modules. Driver is mouse. Protocol is Auto or IMPS/2 and using /dev/input/mouse or mice. 
  And  lspci is  showing unknown vga compatible card(Nvidia Corp) at 01:00.0. Xorg finally not showing vertical refresh errors.  Seems I would input correct range for horiz. and vert. refresh rates but file would show no entry or different entry. Some other unknown devices ide, isa controller(Sis) but usb controllers(Sis) were listed fine.
  I must say before kernel upgrade I did get black and white desktop with 3 bash terminals but with mouse activity.  Maybe I can roll it back.  How?

#3 2005-08-16 15:34:58

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You can use hwd (pacman -S hwd) to create a sample xorg.conf (/etc/X11/ xorg.conf.hwd) :
hwd -x

#4 2005-08-16 16:59:12

lestoil

thanx snowman. after install and running 'lshwd -a my hdware was listed correctly and my mouse was MSintellieye usbhid /dev/input/mice instead of mouse. startx goes rt to kde.
   There is also listing of /dev/psaux/mouse MSintellieye.  I guess because my mouse is usb with ps2 adaptor. 
  Glad that hw is what I know it to be .  Thanx again. smile
  By the way the FAQ lead  listed above leads to barely readable web page w/o FAQ.

#5 2005-08-16 17:10:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah, i have no idea why, but mouse issues bork Xorg... /dev/input/mouseX (X=0,1,2,3,...,N) are each individual mice, and /dev/input/mice is basically a "cat" of all the mouseX files - I always recommend people use /dev/input/mice, because it will work for all mice plugged into the machine.

Board footer