You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-01 13:26:57

lightgreenpanda

Volume increases suddenly during the playing *.mkv file in VLC player

I watched video in *.mkv by using VLC, when video has reached particular moment, the volume (not in VLC) increased from ~20% to ~75%.
This is not VLC's volume, I don't know how to name it correctly, it's volume that I see when I wrote "alsamixer" in terminal.
I replay this video again, and in the same moment, the same thing with volume occurred.
How to avoid it?
At least, I'd like to set some "maximum", because when volume sets to 75% it's become terrible loud.

Last edited by lightgreenpanda (2012-04-01 14:17:35)

#2 2012-04-01 13:43:51

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Volume increases suddenly during the playing *.mkv file in VLC player

Test the file using mplayer2. What type of video are you watching? If it's having ordered chapters, then vlc doesn't support ordered chapter properly.

ps: it should be .mkv instead of .mvk

#3 2012-04-01 13:57:52

DSpider

Ah, volume normalization. Yes.

MKV's (not ".mvk"), or "HD" movies usually have moments when explosions or gun shots are amped up. This is a cinematic effect, best felt with a proper audio system. Go to Preferences - Audio - Effects - Normalize volume to ... some_value (depending how flat you want it). I usually use SMPlayer with Right click - Audio - Filters - Volume normalization.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-04-01 13:58:51)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-04-01 14:43:09

lightgreenpanda

x33a wrote:

Test the file using mplayer2. What type of video are you watching? If it's having ordered chapters, then vlc doesn't support ordered chapter properly.

ps: it should be .mkv instead of .mvk

I've just tested this file in gnome-media player, this problem didn't occurred (!). So, it seems like VLC problem.
The video doesn't have chapters. This file is 3rd series of some tv-show. The previous two was ok (without volume problem).

DSpider wrote:

Ah, volume normalization. Yes.

MKV's (not ".mvk"), or "HD" movies usually have moments when explosions or gun shots are amped up. This is a cinematic effect, best felt with a proper audio system. Go to Preferences - Audio - Effects - Normalize volume to ... some_value (depending how flat you want it). I usually use SMPlayer with Right click - Audio - Filters - Volume normalization.

I did this settings, but it didn't help. sad
Also, I've tried to replay this video a few times, and found that volume increases in random moment, usually in the beginning. VLC's volume was still the same.
ps: Sorry about wrong format, i've changed it to .mkv

Last edited by lightgreenpanda (2012-04-01 14:44:18)

Board footer