You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-01 03:53:56

Eye4anIrony

[SOLVED] Question: procedure for official developer/trusted user keys

A simple question, I hope:

I've generated my key, signed the 5 master keys, and granted `marginal' trust to each. Afterwards when updating, pacman asks if I'd like to `import' several keys attached to names that I recognize from the developer community.

My question: After importing in this way, am I finished? Were these new keys confirmed to be signed by 3 or more master keys?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Last edited by Eye4anIrony (2012-04-01 16:17:07)

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning, but imagination.  -  A. De Morgan

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to yearn for the endless immensity of the sea.  -  Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#2 2012-04-01 04:38:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Question: procedure for official developer/trusted user keys

Arch Wiki wrote:

The official developer and TU keys are signed by the master keys, so you do not need to use pacman-key to sign them yourself. Whenever pacman encounters a key it does not recognize, it will ask you if you want to download it from a keyserver. Once you have downloaded a developer key, you will not have to download it again, and it can be used to verify any other packages signed by that developer.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … loper_keys

Last edited by jasonwryan (2012-04-01 04:38:48)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-04-01 15:17:35

Eye4anIrony

The language:

Arch Wiki wrote:

...a key it does not recognize...

is what caused my confusion. How is "does not recognize" properly understood in this context? Does it simply mean that the new key isn't in the ring yet? Or does it mean that the new key isn't `recognized' as connected to my web of trust?

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning, but imagination.  -  A. De Morgan

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to yearn for the endless immensity of the sea.  -  Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

#4 2012-04-01 16:15:06

Gcool

Whenever pacman gives you a message like that (asking you if you want to import), it means that the simply isn't in your local keyring yet.

Burninate!

#5 2012-04-01 16:17:38

Eye4anIrony

Thanks! That's all I needed to hear.

Board footer