You are not logged in.

#26 2012-02-28 21:47:25

karol
Archivist

Re: Adobe drops Flash for Linux, except Chrome

taylorchu wrote:

this makes me think that adobe and google have some shady agreements to kill firefox.

Firefox for Windows shouldn't be affected.

#27 2012-02-29 23:06:12

GI Jack

I think this might be a good thing, I think this is more part of "killing flash" than anything else. A few points of order:

1. They are not dropping flash on its head for linux/firefox, they are phasing it out starting NEXT version. Giving fair warning to developers.  Unlike google chrome or now firefox, they do not come out with a new version of flash every other week.
2. All existing flash content will still work on still available(yet unreleased in today's term) flash 11.2 which will get security updates for the next 5 years longer than flash will probably be actively developed for. There will be no massive redesigned needed.
3. Adobe is already dropping flash support for mobile phones peroid in favor of HTML5. There will be already a flood of HTML5 developers, and persons intrested in HTML5. These mobile phones have bandwith, system specs, and screen resolutions approaching low end(in some cases exceeding) low end laptops already. This trend is only increasing, we will soon so quad core phones with 5 inch displays. Then there are tablets, with desktop size displays. If nothing else, there will be content for FF/linux.
4. There is a 5 year window for security fixes, which is damn important. This means relative security(as in same as we have today, not that flash is becoming secure or anything), for very long in internet terms time. Flash WILL become legacy to HTML5 sooner or later, and the 5 years of hotfixes will make existing infastructure bearable durring transition.

edit: One more thing

5. Hackers have done some amazing things, like reverse engineer flash in the form of gnash. They've also wrapped 32-bit flash in a 64-bit wrapper before native 64 bit builds, both work very well. I don't see how there won't be a pepper api wrapper with flash written by someone. Pepper is an open API too. Given some of the great feats of hackery we've seen, there is no reason something this comparatively simple will not be done.

Last edited by GI Jack (2012-02-29 23:09:35)

#28 2012-03-03 02:21:23

shaunsingh14

eh whatever. looks like gnash and lightspark are gonna be getting some new testers pretty damn soon.

I made this account 10 years ago when I was an ignorant and insufferable teenager.
I apologise to all the people I annoyed with my cringe in the past.

#29 2012-03-03 05:31:02

bwat47

I'm sure the current flash will work for quite a while anyway (and is getting security updates for 5 years). This gives plenty of time for html5 to start phasing flash out. Adobe knows flash isn't the future and I think they are handling its slow decline sensibly.

#30 2012-03-06 15:41:27

Mr. Alex

bwat47 wrote:

I'm sure the current flash will work for quite a while anyway

Like Windows XP.

#31 2012-03-09 04:34:58

ScionicSpectre

So long as ad-based videos on YouTube have HTML5 support and some big games on Facebook run Flash-less, I doubt anyone will be all too upset without all the other uses of Flash online. Also, many, many big websites are already using HTML5 players by default. Vimeo, Onion, and other news and media sites are making the transition quite easily. I doubt that, in five years, we won't have suitable alternatives to the things we use Flash for. That is, of course, unless developers start shipping big games online through Flash, but I don't think that's really necessary with WebGL growing in maturity.

It's certainly not ideal, but I say good riddance. Hopefully Windows 8 on ARM not supporting Flash will change some peoples' minds as well.

#32 2012-03-09 06:21:53

Ranmaru

I run pretty well without Flash installed on my system for quite a while now. YouTube and Vimeo's HTML5 option is very usable now (as compared to a year ago) and the very few videos I cannot watch with the HTML5 player get the quvi-and-vlc treatment. Absolutely no problems with that.

And other than YouTube I never had any use for Flash anyway, so there's no need for me to have it installed anymore -- and it's also one step closer to run a completely free system, which is a nice bonus. smile

#33 2012-03-20 15:22:33

kamirao
Website

Good. I think its time to ditch this browser malware and head for HTML5.

#34 2012-03-20 17:11:17

useradded

Good. I think its time to ditch this browser malware and head for HTML5.

I would, except for the BBC site.  I can't imagine they're going to change in a hurry.

#35 2012-04-02 17:48:22

Archenduser

#36 2012-04-02 17:49:21

lifeafter2am

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#37 2012-04-02 18:08:22

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Merged in Archenduser's thread titled "Adobe Flash no longer supporting linux" from Off-Topic.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#38 2013-03-10 02:18:37

lmello

taylorchu wrote:

this makes me think that adobe and google have some shady agreements to kill firefox.

I thought so.

Adobe's Flash Player plugin for Firefox is the only piece of proprietary crap I ever install. I don't even bother buying NVIDIA cards anymore, Intel's linux friendly and their graphics cards have really improved over the years.

Anyway if you only use flash for watching videos on youtube, gnash will do the job. But other popular sites like blip.tv and vimeo are either buggy or don't work.

I tried to solve my problem installing totem-plugin (Vegas), but it didn't work... the plugins are installed on the mozilla plugin folder but Firefox simply does not recognize it, I don't know why, no plugin is shown on the Add-On manager after installation sad

The problem of HTML5 is simply we don't know what happens beneath the curtains, most youtube videos are still in flash and I don't know how the old videos are going to be - if they are going to be - ported to HTML5. Not to mention the other video-on-demand sites, who knows if they have some of those 'shady agreements' with Adobe too?

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#39 2013-03-10 02:35:46

KCE

I'd love to see the Burster plugin replace Flash.

#40 2013-03-10 19:52:20

deepsoul
Website

lmello wrote:

most youtube videos are still in flash and I don't know how the old videos are going to be - if they are going to be - ported to HTML5.

Are they?  I am not a heavy youtube user, but I have managed to download all videos I needed in webm format with youtube-dl.  So even if the web pages refer to the flash version, it seems other formats are also available.

Officer, I had to drive home - I was way too drunk to teleport!

#41 2013-03-10 20:59:17

lmello

deepsoul wrote:
lmello wrote:

most youtube videos are still in flash and I don't know how the old videos are going to be - if they are going to be - ported to HTML5.

Are they?  I am not a heavy youtube user, but I have managed to download all videos I needed in webm format with youtube-dl.  So even if the web pages refer to the flash version, it seems other formats are also available.

Many videos simply don't play with Flash disabled. Besides, I watch many things hosted on blip.tv. I heard somewhere that blip.tv supports HTML5, but I don't know how to enable the HTML5 player. It only works with Shockwave Flash. Does anyone knows how?

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#42 2013-03-10 21:13:56

lmello

KCE wrote:

Never heard of it, what's that?

There's also a script for Greasemonkey called Linterna Mágica, I tried it, doesn't work on every streaming site but looks promising anyway:

http://linterna-magica.nongnu.org/

#43 2013-03-11 17:55:32

anonymous_user

lmello wrote:
deepsoul wrote:
lmello wrote:

Many videos simply don't play with Flash disabled. Besides, I watch many things hosted on blip.tv. I heard somewhere that blip.tv supports HTML5, but I don't know how to enable the HTML5 player. It only works with Shockwave Flash. Does anyone knows how?

Most discussion of blip.tv and html5 seem like 2 years old. I think they may have given up on it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/software/commen … ayer_gone/

lmello wrote:
KCE wrote:

Never heard of it, what's that?

I think its this:

http://www.geta3d.com/index.php?option= … &Itemid=20

Last edited by anonymous_user (2013-03-11 17:56:54)

#44 2013-03-12 02:47:19

lmello

anonymous_user wrote:
lmello wrote:
deepsoul wrote:

Most discussion of blip.tv and html5 seem like 2 years old. I think they may have given up on it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/software/commen … ayer_gone/

Dammit! That's what I was talking about 'closed curtains agreements'... sad

Last edited by lmello (2013-03-12 02:47:49)

Board footer