You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-16 10:48:47

noniin

open-vm-tools do not work properly and vmware-toolbox does not start

I have installed succesfully Arch Linux in VMware, and open-vm-tools in Arch Linux. These open-vm-tools work partially. For example, I can share a folder with Windows. But what does not work is vmware-toolbox. When trying to start vmware-toolbox from command prompt, nothing happens. In addition, I cannot resize gnome desktop and X windows to fit the whole screen. Does anyone have experience with open-vm-tools and these problems with it?

#2 2011-11-16 11:59:29

noniin

Re: open-vm-tools do not work properly and vmware-toolbox does not start

I have solved the problem partially by changing resolution of the display in Arch Linux/X windows/gnome . Still, few problems of open-vm-tools remain:
1. If I resize VMware player, the gnome desktop window does not resize with the VMware player window.
2. Copy/paste between host and quest operating system is not working.

#3 2012-03-18 13:19:36

svanberg

I can't get this to work either. Is there someone that can help us?

#4 2012-03-21 00:22:53

Jessehk

Agreed. While the folder sharing does work, automatic screen resize and copy/paste do not. Perhaps a bug should be filed?

#5 2012-03-22 11:12:18

Da_Coynul

Jessehk wrote:

Agreed. While the folder sharing does work, automatic screen resize and copy/paste do not. Perhaps a bug should be filed?

I agree with filing a bug report on open-vm-tools, but if you just want to get things working you can use VMware tools instead.  Here are some helpful guides:

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Instal … layer.html
http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/2006/03/in … oo-vm.html

#6 2012-04-02 17:11:30

Da_Coynul

OK, after some googling I was able to get open-vm-tools working on my Arch guest.  It turns out that

vmware-user-suid-wrapper

must be run at log in for open-vm-tools to work properly but this doesn't happen because the file vmware-user.desktop is missing from /etc/xdg/autostart/.

So just create /etc/xdg/autostart/vmware-user.desktop with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=VMWare User Agent
Exec=/usr/bin/vmware-user-suid-wrapper
Icon=system-run
Comment=Enable Unity, DnD, etc.

as described here.  Then log out, log back in and things should work as expected.

I am not sure why this is not mentioned in Installing Arch Linux in VMware.  And for that matter, should we even have a separate systemd version of that wiki page?

I still think this is an open-vm-tools packaging bug and I would again advise the OP to report it (and also mark this thread [SOLVED] since we have a workaround) tongue

Last edited by Da_Coynul (2012-04-02 17:14:27)

#7 2012-04-04 03:12:36

Jessehk

Da_Coynul wrote:

OK, after some googling I was able to get open-vm-tools working on my Arch guest.  It turns out that

vmware-user-suid-wrapper

must be run at log in for open-vm-tools to work properly but this doesn't happen because the file vmware-user.desktop is missing from /etc/xdg/autostart/.

So just create /etc/xdg/autostart/vmware-user.desktop with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=VMWare User Agent
Exec=/usr/bin/vmware-user-suid-wrapper
Icon=system-run
Comment=Enable Unity, DnD, etc.

as described here.  Then log out, log back in and things should work as expected.

I am not sure why this is not mentioned in Installing Arch Linux in VMware.  And for that matter, should we even have a separate systemd version of that wiki page?

I still think this is an open-vm-tools packaging bug and I would again advise the OP to report it (and also mark this thread [SOLVED] since we have a workaround) tongue

It works! Thanks for figuring it out. I'll file a bug on your behalf.

EDIT: Bug report here.

Last edited by Jessehk (2012-04-04 03:48:45)

#8 2012-04-04 04:26:31

inktvis75

Da_Coynul wrote:

Hi, I am the one who created the dutch version of this wiki article, which is very different from the english one. The only reason that i didn't add this wrapper is that i simply forgot it because i don't use it smile  (i'm using only the vSphere products from VMware). I will wait until the packager solved your problem, after that i'll add some information about how to enable/disable it (it should be disabled by default for security reasons).

#9 2012-04-04 04:27:52

inktvis75

Da_Coynul wrote:

I'll try systemd as soon as possible, and update the dutch version of my article

#10 2012-04-04 14:31:14

Da_Coynul

Jessehk wrote:

It works! Thanks for figuring it out. I'll file a bug on your behalf.

EDIT: Bug report here.

@Jessehk - thanks for filing the bug report cool  Actually, I was waiting to see if @noniin would do it and if not I was going to file it myself.

inktvis75 wrote:

I will wait until the packager solved your problem, after that i'll add some information about how to enable/disable it (it should be disabled by default for security reasons).

@inktvis75 - I agree, we should wait and see what happens with the bug report before making any wiki changes.

Last edited by Da_Coynul (2012-04-04 14:38:15)

#11 2012-04-05 04:51:07

Jessehk

Still waiting on the bug. I realized that it was incorrectly filed under "Packages: Extra" instead of "Packages", but I don't think I can change it now. Oops. Hopefully, it doesn't effect the visibility of the bug.

#12 2012-04-06 19:34:03

Malstrond

Running vmware-user-suid-wrapper makes copy&paste, drag&drop and resolution resizing work for me.
However, Unity mode still doesn't work. When I try to activate it, I get the following error message: "The virtual machine cannot enter Unity mode because: -The guest operating system does not have VMware Tools installed." open-vm-tools (vmtoolsd) is running.
Does anyone know more about this?

#13 2012-04-25 16:21:23

lordloh

I am not using an X login. I log in at the terminal and xinit.

I tried the /etc/xdg/autostart solution - did not work.
Tried putting vmware-user-suid-wrapper in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and still did not get any copy paste benefits.

vmware-user-suid-wrapper does not remain running. I do not see it when I run ps aux after :-(

Any ideas?
Thank you.

#14 2012-06-01 13:06:27

General_Tso

lordloh wrote:

I am not using an X login. I log in at the terminal and xinit.

I tried the /etc/xdg/autostart solution - did not work.
Tried putting vmware-user-suid-wrapper in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and still did not get any copy paste benefits.

vmware-user-suid-wrapper does not remain running. I do not see it when I run ps aux after :-(

Any ideas?
Thank you.

I have also tried these without any luck.  Is there something lordloh and I are missing?

#15 2012-06-13 23:16:55

ultdev

I too am having the same problems Malstrond is facing with Unity mode; does open-vm-tools have working support for Unity mode or are we stuck with the proprietary vmware-tools?

EDIT: looks like Unity mode support was removed from open-vm-tools back in September (as shown here and in the git commit log on 9/26/12).

Last edited by ultdev (2012-06-13 23:38:03)

Board footer