You are not logged in.

#51 2012-04-01 06:00:37

B-Con
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Blue tint on youtube videos. (Nvidia or flash problem)

Yet another person who can't edit the Flash settings to disable hardware accelerations. No idea what would be unique to me there. (Downgrade to 11.1 fixed the issue.)

#52 2012-04-01 08:57:40

Atmoz

hooya wrote:

This is a very annoying bug. Switched my youtube preferences to joint the HTML5 trial so I just don't have to deal with Flash at all. That was my solution.

That's not a good solution, because html5 is used only on videos without advertising, they use flash as fallback. Hopefully they will add support for advertising in the html5 player too at some point.

I hope this can be fixed somehow with update via pacman. Damn you Adobe! :-(

#53 2012-04-02 08:19:21

akspecs

Running Arch on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop with an Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - and of course as you expected the blue tint exists here as well.  Downgrading seemed like a great idea until I realized that the depth of the security exploit that was supposed to be fixed in 11.2 .  Is disabling hardware acceleration the only solution without getting into any other modifications to libvdpau?

#54 2012-04-02 09:32:15

Earnestly

akspecs wrote:

Is disabling hardware acceleration the only solution without getting into any other modifications to libvdpau?

Enabling hardware acceleration allows 11.2 to work, but it's bloody unstable. Random crashes every few minutes or sometimes instantly when you attempt fullscreen. This whole situation is just pathetic on Adobe's part, in fact, the program is so terrible, one wonders if they deliberately made it so.

edit: Is Linux actually vulnerable? The bug [1] clearly indicates it's an ActiveX issue on Windows 7 and Vista with no mention of Linux other than to update.

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability related to URL security domain checking that could lead to code execution (ActiveX, Windows 7 or Vista only) (CVE-2012-0772) [2].

1. APSB12-07

2. CVE-2012-0772

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-04-02 09:51:10)

#55 2012-04-02 20:39:40

akspecs

Kaustic wrote:

Enabling hardware acceleration allows 11.2 to work, but it's bloody unstable. Random crashes every few minutes or sometimes instantly when you attempt fullscreen. This whole situation is just pathetic on Adobe's part, in fact, the program is so terrible, one wonders if they deliberately made it so.

edit: Is Linux actually vulnerable? The bug [1] clearly indicates it's an ActiveX issue on Windows 7 and Vista with no mention of Linux other than to update.

This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability related to URL security domain checking that could lead to code execution (ActiveX, Windows 7 or Vista only) (CVE-2012-0772) [2].

1. APSB12-07

2. CVE-2012-0772

Reading further as I previously read a vague explanation of the flash update it may seem logical to just stay with a working version of flash.  The blue tint is just plain silly. 

Only YouTube seems affected though.  Nonetheless, it's silly.

#56 2012-04-03 17:25:31

varg04444

In a Vostro 1320 with nvidia 9300 i have the same issue. Really i hate adobe.

[EN] In the world there are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who not.
[ES] En el mundo hay 10 tipos de personas, las que entienden binario y las que no.

#57 2012-04-03 17:34:15

Gusar

Just checking something...

All of you getting blue people: when you right-click on a youtube video and choose "View video info" (or something like that), what does it say about video rendering and video decoding? Is both hardware accelerated?

#58 2012-04-03 18:02:56

Psykorgasm

@Gusar (This is all using libvdpau from the repo)

With the Enable hwaccel box ticked and hwaccel enabled in mms.cfg the video is not blue and the info is: accelerated video rendering and accelerated video decoding. BUT it still crashes the flash plugin when expanding the video.

With the Enable hwaccel box ticked and hwaccel disabled in mms.cfg the video is blue, info is: accelerated video rendering and software video decoding. Again, this crashed upon expand.

Of course with the Enable hwaccel box unticked, hwaccel disabled in mms.cfg video is normal, info is: software video rendering and software video decoding. No crashed at all.

@People not able to click the flash settings box: Seems to be a chromium thing/bug: google chromium flash popup can not click

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by Psykorgasm (2012-04-03 19:12:16)

#59 2012-04-03 18:55:29

Gusar

Yep, this matches what Plagman (nvidia employee, cool dude, he wrote the Polymer renderer for Duke3D smile) said at nvnews - blue people only with the software decode/hardware presentation combo. If both are hardware, no blue people. I have hardware decode activated now, but unlike you, no crashes. I can expand the video, go fullscreen and back, no crashing.

About the not being able to click thing, it's not just Chrome. I had it in Firefox too occasionally, but don't know specific circumstances.

Last edited by Gusar (2012-04-03 18:57:35)

#60 2012-04-03 19:11:49

Psykorgasm

Interesting, the thing is, AFIAK, that when flash is installed it automatically ticks to enable hardware accel but the actual package ships the mms.cfg with HW commented out.

I wonder if it is possible for flash to be shipped/installed (or a clone package for nvidia) with hw accel un-ticked, installing flashplugin already outputs in terminal to let you know about EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode in the mms.cfg the package provides so it could mention about the tickbox also, that way problems could be avoided for future installs and if people try it and get problems, at least they know how to get back.

As for my crashes, it's weird, it only happened since 11.2 and to be honest, I'm past caring about it now lol.

Last edited by Psykorgasm (2012-04-03 19:16:15)

#61 2012-04-03 19:39:15

Gusar

Ok, no crashes at youtube, but plenty of crashes with another player smile. It's an old version of JWPlayer, perhaps I need to upgrade it smile

I found a workaround though: Rather that use the libvdpau_trace hack, I set

VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1

This way I get hardware decoding *and* hardware presentation, but no blue people, no leaking overlay (since there is no overlay), and no crashes. So give the no overlay thing a try, maybe it fixes your crashes too.

#62 2012-04-03 19:52:02

Psykorgasm

Brilliant! I can confirm that that does work very nicely.
I F5'd during a video and upon refresh the plugin crashed (instantly gave the grey stripe box) but after about 20 re-try's couldn't reproduce, tried a few other sites and everything worked well.
I know I said I didn't care but, thank-you very very much! big_smile

Hopefully other people will try that with same success and I would say to submit that to the wiki.

#63 2012-04-03 20:39:44

Rasi
Website

Psykorgasm wrote:

Brilliant! I can confirm that that does work very nicely.
I F5'd during a video and upon refresh the plugin crashed (instantly gave the grey stripe box) but after about 20 re-try's couldn't reproduce, tried a few other sites and everything worked well.
I know I said I didn't care but, thank-you very very much! big_smile

Hopefully other people will try that with same success and I would say to submit that to the wiki.

cant confirm. Still blue people.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#64 2012-04-03 20:47:08

Gusar

Rasi wrote:

cant confirm. Still blue people.

Did you activate hardware decode in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg?

#65 2012-04-03 21:40:32

Earnestly

linux-ck-corex: 3.2.14-2
nvidia: 295.33-1

# /etc/adobe/mms.cfg 
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

Flash's hardware acceleration option checked
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 added to my ~/.xinitrc (The only way I know to export Nvidia settings. Doing it via the terminal or profile seems to do nothing.)

Results
So far, very stable performance playing Youtube videos and a few other random video players with some loading, then shortly afterwards crashing.
Using VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 seems to have corrected the leaking. Site used to test: 2advanced.com, then opening slashdot.org

Overall a good improvement. And just for those who watch Family Guy on dodgy streaming sites, they all mostly work too. (The good ones anyway.)

Big thanks to Gusar, or should it be distain? For now we get to use the steaming pile of crap that is flashplayer tongue.
Shame HTML5 isn't there yet.

Edit: It's still not as stable, but that's asking too much from the poor folks over at Adobe.

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-04-03 21:42:21)

#66 2012-04-03 23:03:31

twilight0
Website

Thank you everyone.

I tried the patch first just out of curiosity and it didn't work.

Then I did what Kaustic said, but instead of .xinitrc I exported it through .bashrc and it worked.

I will edit the wiki on this.

Proud Arch Linux user since 2007.

#67 2012-04-04 00:22:57

Earnestly

Just want to add; this solution is still not stable enough. Flash video players/websites randomly crash on their own accord or if one tries to interact with the controls. I've downgrading once again as the security issues regards memory corruption/arbitrary code execution via ActiveX (if this is not the case, please share).

but instead of .xinitrc

Yeah, I didn't try the shell rc. The last few nvidia exports I've used (change the location of the .nv/ cache) would fail unless in xinitrc. This is probably due to the way it works with X and the shell was loading before X and somehow magically not working.

It should probably go into the profile (.bash_profile/.zprofile) like any other export. hmm

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-04-04 00:26:17)

#68 2012-04-04 09:32:12

Psykorgasm

Kaustic wrote:

Flash video players/websites randomly crash on their own accord or if one tries to interact with the controls.

Odd! I had one more instant crash upon page/plugin load but nothing when using the controls. Also (only once so far) I loaded up a youtube video while watching a non-pause-able video on another site, watched my youtube to go back and find the other sites player had crashed out. I think I'll keep this for some more days or a week and see how often more it happens and try reproduce multi site load ups and see if I can get more to crash and decide whether I should just turn off all the hardware stuff since it made no difference to me really anyway.

As for getting it to work, I just threw "VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 firefox" in an .sh and pointed openbox to it.

#69 2012-04-04 10:38:53

Rasi
Website

the drawback of VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 is that you will get tearing in action packed scenes.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#70 2012-04-04 10:44:53

Gusar

Rasi wrote:

the drawback of VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1 is that you will get tearing in action packed scenes.

Yep, while the blit path (which is used if there's no overlay) also syncs to vblank, tear-free operation is not guaranteed. That's why you activate it only for the browser to stabilize flash, but otherwise leave it off, so that say mplayer will use the overlay. Of course there's the problem if you watch tons of videos via flash, which I fortunately don't smile

#71 2012-04-04 13:06:19

Comedian

I unchecked hardware acceleration in flash player on youtube, fixed the issue for me. Now people have normal color big_smile

#72 2012-04-04 13:24:33

Gusar

And again I have to repeat that turning off functionality is not a "fix"

#73 2012-04-04 15:15:07

Comedian

Indeed its not, but what can we do about it? sad

#74 2012-04-04 15:46:18

Gusar

The stuff that's described in this thread - the libvdpau_trace hack, turning off overlay...

If not even these give you a stable flash, then indeed turning off functionality is the only thing you're left with. I'm only objecting to calling that a "fix". Because it's not. The functionality is still broken.

#75 2012-04-04 21:59:19

akspecs

Gusar wrote:

And again I have to repeat that turning off functionality is not a "fix"

This thread as falsely marked solved.  Downgrading and turning off functionality are just "WORKAROUNDS".  And that hack the supposed nvidia dev made - is a workaround as well.

Board footer