You are not logged in.

#226 2012-02-07 06:42:55

Spyhawk

Re: pacaur - an AUR helper that minimizes user interaction

bwat47 wrote:
MAroco wrote:

Tha man is just great smile

Another thing:
- Since pacman 4 arrived in core pacaur-legacy understandably disappeared.
- On the AUR page of "pacaur"  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49145 I just found your comment "This PKGBUILD is now obsolete".
- And on the other hand on the "pacaur-git" page you wrote "Stable release of this package is pacaur" and link to the above page...

So this is me being confused... smile
Question: will there only be the git-version in the future or is there going to be another stable version? If so where do I find it? "pacaur -Ss pacaur" only shows "pacaur" and "pacaur-git" from above. Did I miss something?
Thanks for all your work!! Cheers.

Yeah, this is also confusing me... Any clarification?

That comment was for pacaur-legacy. I probably commented on the wrong AUR page :]
pacaur is still maintained, of course.

#227 2012-02-09 00:26:36

MAroco

Phew... veeeeery glad to hear that big_smile

#228 2012-02-10 02:29:12

dalingrin

Spyhawk:
I can't remember if I asked this before, but do you have any interest in being able to choose which packages to update from AUR?
If you recall from pbfetch I had the options: "Y/N/C" where C would allow you to input the packages you wanted to update, denoted by number.

If you don't mind this feature then I may look into implementing this when I get the time. Is this something you definitely do not want in pacaur?

#229 2012-02-10 12:55:13

Spyhawk

dalingrin> If your talking about the "interactive" mode, that something I'd like to stay away. Reasons being that this way of selecting packages with number doesn't match a speed workflow (at least for me): often, I need to search a package by description, then refine the search as the results returned are too high. That's also an important part of the code that I don't want to maintain on the long term, and I'd prefer to stay close to pacman behavior. But feel free to fork and adapt pacaur to your own needs :]

#230 2012-02-10 18:18:01

dalingrin

Spyhawk wrote:

dalingrin> If your talking about the "interactive" mode, that something I'd like to stay away. Reasons being that this way of selecting packages with number doesn't match a speed workflow (at least for me): often, I need to search a package by description, then refine the search as the results returned are too high. That's also an important part of the code that I don't want to maintain on the long term, and I'd prefer to stay close to pacman behavior. But feel free to fork and adapt pacaur to your own needs :]

I'm not sure that we are on the same page.

For good measure, let me walk through the scenario:
Its been a while since you updated and then you run "pacaur -u". This will return a list of packages that have available updates. Unfortunately, there are many packages that need updating and some of them may take a very long time to compile.  Lets say for instance that you only had a couple of packages in mind that you wanted to update at that time. What I did with pbfetch was to allow the user to pick which packages you wanted to update.

Currently you prompt for [Y/n]...Either update all packages or update none. I'm proposing that we have a third option C, [Y/n/c],  to choose which packages to update. In pbfetch, each package needing an update is given a number and the user can enter a series of these numbers separated by space to denote which packages should be updated.

If this is what you were calling interactive mode then it is not a big deal if you don't want it. It is certainly not an essential feature for me. Thanks for taking the time to make pacaur!

#231 2012-02-13 08:33:27

Spyhawk

dalingrin> You're right, we weren't on the same page here (I was thinking about the selective mode when searching pkgs, as packer/yaourt do). Anyway, what you're referring to is already possible with cower backend: Just run "pacaur -u <pkg to update>" and you're done :]

#232 2012-02-13 09:22:46

donbex

Don't forget about "pacaur -k" to check which packages are to be upgraded. ^^

#233 2012-02-24 20:38:03

MAroco

Sorry, I may be wrong but... Spyhawk & dalingrin, I get the impression you're still not on the same page...

I understood dalingrin means it the other way round. Like, at the moment if you start systemupdate you already get a list what would be installed if you press "y". And an aditional option to *not* install some of the updates for example could be pretty neat... Or one could make it a list to chose from, so you don't have to remember aaaall the names and type them in manually with pacaur -u pac1 pac2 pac3... just for convenience smile   

Usecase: say you installed an aur-kernel that has an update but compiling takes ages on your box, so for now "in the morning" you only want to do the rest of the updates, then do your work and start the kernel before you go to bed. Or so. Ehm... As I said I may be totally, but my internal communicationbreakdownalert just went of... smile

#234 2012-02-29 06:19:12

Spyhawk

Maroco> I'm pretty sure it's possible to redirect a grepped list to "pacaur -u" (something like "echo $(pacaur -kq) | grep <pkg>"  << pacaur -u). Untested as I'm currently not on an unix machine, but you;ve got the idea.

Why implementing something complex when the basic unix tools can do it efficiently? :]

#235 2012-03-03 05:44:27

bwat47

I'm getting a strange error trying to install minitube with pacaur. it works fine manually with makepkg -s, other packages seem fine with pacaur.

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
Enter a number (default=1): Invalid number: y

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-03-03 05:46:43)

#236 2012-03-05 06:51:58

Spyhawk

bwat47> Never seen such an output. Pacaur does not ask to enter a "number" at all, and I'm not sure if that is directly related to pacaur itself. Could  you provide me the output of "bash -x pacaur -y minitube", so I can have more information to debug it?

#237 2012-03-05 18:02:37

dalingrin

MAroco wrote:

Sorry, I may be wrong but... Spyhawk & dalingrin, I get the impression you're still not on the same page...

I understood dalingrin means it the other way round. Like, at the moment if you start systemupdate you already get a list what would be installed if you press "y". And an aditional option to *not* install some of the updates for example could be pretty neat... Or one could make it a list to chose from, so you don't have to remember aaaall the names and type them in manually with pacaur -u pac1 pac2 pac3... just for convenience smile   

Usecase: say you installed an aur-kernel that has an update but compiling takes ages on your box, so for now "in the morning" you only want to do the rest of the updates, then do your work and start the kernel before you go to bed. Or so. Ehm... As I said I may be totally, but my internal communicationbreakdownalert just went of... smile

Haha, well I'll explain again but this time with a screen capture of my pbfetch in all its half broken glory.

2n665hj.jpg

From the top:
First is the list of all local packages that are not in the pacman repositories(not important for this discussion)

Next is: ==> Updates:
This is a list of packages that have updates available. They are enumerated 0-x.

Next: The user is prompted "Do you want to update these packages"
Up to this point pbfetch and pacaur are very similar. However, note there is a third choice beyond yes/no. The user can enter C to choose which of those packages they would like to immediately update. In the screen capture I have chosen c.

Next the user is prompted to enter the packages to update. This is done using the enumeration in the listed updates. In the screen capture I've chosen packages 0, 1, and 3 which would correspond to packages "apper", "eclipse-emf", and "haguichi"

The motivation for this is that there are sometimes packages that need updating that I don't want to take the time to update that particular minute. In the screen capture you can see that firefox-kde-opensuse needs updating. This is a package that I usually compile with pgo which means compile time is pretty lengthy on my system so there are times when I would rather put off updating it but wouldn't mind updating other packages.

In this implementation I don't think the feature gets in the way. In other words, if a particular user would never use the feature then they can carry on as they normally would by entering Y/N instead of C. I'm certainly not saying my implementation of this feature is the best and it could likely be done better.

IF there was any confusion I hope this clears it up.

#238 2012-03-06 09:45:02

Spyhawk

dalingrin> Thanks, your explanation make full sense now. However, please note that pacaur provides an "--ignore" switch that enable you to skip one or more packages. Also, I do believe it's better to select package that you don't want to update, as those are more exceptional cases than the rule.

At the moment, I am not considering adding much features to pacaur, mostly because most needed features are already implemented, that I don;t have full access to the internet and that I have already some ongoing work for the next release (mostly internal changes that I should have done before, but never took the time to do it). Anyway, feel free to adapt pacaur to your own needs and propose a patch - I just can't guarantee you that I'll merge all proposed changes - or you might even want to release a new pbfetch2 based on pacaur :]

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-03-06 09:53:59)

#239 2012-03-20 07:36:59

grine

Hi Spyhawk,

I'm really pleased with pacaur, it feels a lot smoother than packer and yaourt.

I have one minor issue I would like to ask about though:

Bash completion only shows aur-packages, is it possible to get it to show official repos as well?

#240 2012-03-20 08:00:06

Spyhawk

grine wrote:

Bash completion only shows aur-packages, is it possible to get it to show official repos as well?

Hi Grine,

I'll see what I can do as soon as possible, but my ability to work on pacaur right now is (temporarily) limited right now due to limited internet connectivity that prevents me to fully test my changes. In the meantime, I've opened a new github issue for improved bash completion. Stay tuned! Thanks also for your encouraging message :]

#241 2012-04-04 17:24:22

philomath

Here I wrote:

philomath wrote:

Recently (since 2.5.5-1?) I'm sometimes prompted for a password even when doing simple queries such as pacaur -Ql <package>. what gives?
Also, I have never succeed in editing PKGBUILDs, I'm always getting something like '/usr/bin/pacaur: line 215: /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD: Permission denied :: Could not open thetime PKGBUILD'. what am I missing?

Spyhawk answered:

Spyhawk wrote:

philomath> For the second issue, please check that your tmpdir is user readable. Delete it (as root) and try again (as user). For the first issue, it's possible that I introduced a bug with 2.5.4/2.5.5 although I'm trying to be very conservative with the changes I do in the 2.5.x series. Could you post the result of the "bash -x pacaur -Ql <pkg>" (or any other faulty command) in the forum post (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119473) or by email? Thanks for reporting.

So here is:
I have deleted /tmp (which was/is user readable), and tried again, to no avail.

Here is the output for bash -x pacaur -Ql lsof (notice the 'sudo rm -rf /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm' and the password-prompt thereafter):

~ $ bash -x pacaur -Ql lsof
+ name=pacaur
+ version=2.5.5
+ tmpDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ [[ -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ sudo rm -rf /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
Password: 
+ mkdir -p /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ export LANG=C
+ LANG=C
+ buildDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ editor=vi
+ color=false
+ clean=true
+ fallback=true
+ editpkgbuild=true
+ editinstall=true
+ cleandevel=true
+ carchmagic=false
+ [[ -n /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg ]]
+ xdg_config=($(echo "${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS}" | awk -F ":" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}' ))
++ echo /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
++ awk -F : '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}'
+ for i in '${xdg_config[@]}'
+ [[ -d /etc/xdg ]]
+ export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ break
+ configDir=/etc/xdg/pacaur
+ userconfigDir=/home/sm/.config/pacaur
+ source /etc/xdg/pacaur/pacaur.conf
++ buildDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
++ editor=
++ color=false
++ clean=true
++ fallback=true
++ editpkgbuild=true
++ editinstall=true
++ cleandevel=true
++ carchmagic=false
+ [[ -r /home/sm/.config/pacaur/config ]]
+ false
+ pacmanBin=pacman
+ cower=cower
+ [[ -n -Ql ]]
+ pkgs=()
+ count=0
+ [[ -n -Ql ]]
+ case "$1" in
+ pacman -Ql lsof
lsof /usr/
lsof /usr/sbin/
lsof /usr/sbin/lsof
lsof /usr/share/
lsof /usr/share/doc/
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00.README.FIRST
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00CREDITS
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00DCACHE
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00DIALECTS
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00DIST
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00FAQ
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00LSOF-L
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00MANIFEST
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00PORTING
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00QUICKSTART
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00README
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00TEST
lsof /usr/share/doc/lsof/00XCONFIG
lsof /usr/share/licenses/
lsof /usr/share/licenses/lsof/
lsof /usr/share/licenses/lsof/LICENSE
lsof /usr/share/man/
lsof /usr/share/man/man8/
lsof /usr/share/man/man8/lsof.8.gz
+ exit

#242 2012-04-06 06:03:51

Spyhawk

philomath> Thanks. The change I did in 2.5.5 checks if the tmpdir is user writable, and if not it will be dekleted with sudo then recreated. This happens when one used pacaur as root, then as simple user. Looking quickly at your bash debug output, I know that I can (and should) move some code around so the password is not asked when not needed, but I can't explain yet why the simple "rm -rf tmpDir" without sudo return an error (and thus tried again with sudo).

Edit: Well, it seems the problem occurs when the temp directory does not exist - which is an user case i haven't tested :] So that happens once for new user right after having installed pacaur. What I can't explain is why this directory is sometimes deleted on your machine.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-06 07:12:34)

#243 2012-04-10 05:49:59

Spyhawk

Just released 2.5.6 that should fix the above bug.

At the same time, I'm releasing v.3.0.0 on which I have been working for some times. Carchmagic option is now enabled by default, and only a single new feature is included: a --fixbackend option that quickly recompiles cower if broken after a library update. But first and foremost, this new version includes important changes in its internal code to remove some limitations and prepare for future improvements.

Although I'm not aware of any bug yet, I don't expect v.3.0.0 to be as rock solid as 2.5.6 either and thus v.3.0.0 is available through pacaur-git only. So if you feel as a happy guinea pig user that wants to help by testing, feel free to grab pacaur-git and report any misbehavior you encounter :]

#244 2012-04-11 06:16:32

tzervo

Spyhawk wrote:

philomath> Thanks. The change I did in 2.5.5 checks if the tmpdir is user writable, and if not it will be dekleted with sudo then recreated. This happens when one used pacaur as root, then as simple user. Looking quickly at your bash debug output, I know that I can (and should) move some code around so the password is not asked when not needed, but I can't explain yet why the simple "rm -rf tmpDir" without sudo return an error (and thus tried again with sudo).

Edit: Well, it seems the problem occurs when the temp directory does not exist - which is an user case i haven't tested :] So that happens once for new user right after having installed pacaur. What I can't explain is why this directory is sometimes deleted on your machine.

Spyhawk wrote:

Just released 2.5.6 that should fix the above bug..........

Since tmpDir is under /tmp, it is bound to be deleted during shutdown/reboot. With pacaur 2.5.6 (and -git of course), the check for the existence of buildDir in line 753 means that the user has to manually recreate this directory after each reboot. I guess that this is not desirable. You could mkdir the directory automatically whenever the test fails (I guess this was its previous behaviour, which was better imo).

#245 2012-04-11 06:59:24

Spyhawk

tyervo> Thx for your explanation. Over time, I tend to forget why I initially wrote some part of the code in a certain way :]
However, the old behavior (2.5.4) was the following one, and done at each pacaur execution:

# tmpdir
tmpDir="${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/${name}tmp-$USER"
[[ -d "$tmpDir" ]] && rm -rf "$tmpDir" &>/dev/null	
mkdir -p "$tmpDir"

So $tmpDir was indeed deleted then recreated at each execution. Meh. The changes I did in 2.5.5/2.5.6 were to fix a right issue when using pacaur as root, then as user. I guess the right way to do it is simply:

# tmpdir
tmpDir="${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/${name}tmp-$USER"
[[ -d "$tmpDir" && ! -w "$tmpDir" ]] && sudo rm -rf "$tmpDir"	
[[ ! -d "$tmpDir" ]] && mkdir -p "$tmpDir"

Thanks for the report!

Edit: 2.5.7 released, with reverted changes + improvements. I also updated the git branch with a few additional fixes.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-12 06:44:50)

#246 2012-04-12 07:07:49

tzervo

Works flawlessly now!

Spyhawk wrote:

... Thanks for the report! ...

Thanks goes to you for this awesome wrapper big_smile

#247 2012-04-15 15:33:15

philomath

Thanks!  the issue with the password-prompting seems to be fixed.

(the other problem, being unable to edit PKGBUILD files, isn't).

#248 2012-04-16 05:54:39

Spyhawk

philomath wrote:

(the other problem, being unable to edit PKGBUILD files, isn't).

I have no idea why this doesn't work on your machine. Please post a debug output here ("bash -x pacaur -S pkg" or "bash -x pacaur -ye pkg").

#249 2012-04-16 09:09:23

philomath

Spyhawk wrote:

Please post a debug output here.

Oh, how did I forget that?   here is:

~ $ bash -x pacaur -S thetime
+ name=pacaur
+ version=2.5.7
+ tmpDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ [[ -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ ! -d '' ]]
+ mkdir -p /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ export LANG=C
+ LANG=C
+ buildDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ editor=vi
+ color=false
+ clean=true
+ fallback=true
+ editpkgbuild=true
+ editinstall=true
+ cleandevel=true
+ carchmagic=false
+ [[ -n /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg ]]
+ xdg_config=($(echo "${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS}" | awk -F ":" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}' ))
++ echo /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
++ awk -F : '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}'
+ for i in '${xdg_config[@]}'
+ [[ -d /etc/xdg ]]
+ export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ break
+ configDir=/etc/xdg/pacaur
+ userconfigDir=/home/sm/.config/pacaur
+ source /etc/xdg/pacaur/pacaur.conf
++ buildDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
++ editor=
++ color=false
++ clean=true
++ fallback=true
++ editpkgbuild=true
++ editinstall=true
++ cleandevel=true
++ carchmagic=false
+ [[ -r /home/sm/.config/pacaur/config ]]
+ false
+ pacmanBin=pacman
+ cower=cower
+ [[ -n -S ]]
+ pkgs=()
+ count=0
+ [[ -n -S ]]
+ case "$1" in
+ option=sync
+ installpkg=true
+ coweropts+=("-f")
+ shift
+ [[ -n thetime ]]
+ case "$1" in
+ pkgs+=("$1")
+ shift
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -f /usr/bin/vi ]]
+ [[ ! -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ ! -f /usr/bin/pacman ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n sync ]]
+ [[ sync = sync ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n thetime ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ '' = search ]]
+ [[ '' = info ]]
+ [[ '' = download ]]
+ [[ '' = makepkg ]]
+ [[ '' = check ]]
+ [[ sync = search ]]
+ [[ sync = info ]]
+ [[ sync = sync ]]
+ [[ ! -n thetime ]]
+ ClassifyPkgs thetime
+ [[ true = true ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ GetIgnoredGrps
+ ignoredgrps+=($(grep '^ *IgnoreGroup' '/etc/pacman.conf' | cut -d '=' -f 2-))
++ grep '^ *IgnoreGroup' /etc/pacman.conf
++ cut -d = -f 2-
+ for i in '"${pkgs[@]}"'
+ [[    =~  thetime  ]]
++ pacman -S --print thetime
++ grep -v error:
+ [[ -z '' ]]
+ aurpkgs+=("$i")
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n thetime ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ true = true ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ warn 'Package(s) thetime not found in repositories, trying AUR...'
+ echo -e ':: Package(s) thetime not found in repositories, trying AUR...'
:: Package(s) thetime not found in repositories, trying AUR...
+ Core thetime
+ IgnoreChecks
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ GetIgnoredPkgs
+ ignoredpkgs+=($(grep '^ *IgnorePkg' '/etc/pacman.conf' | cut -d '=' -f 2-))
++ grep '^ *IgnorePkg' /etc/pacman.conf
++ cut -d = -f 2-
+ [[ -e /home/sm/.config/cower/config ]]
+ ignoredpkgs=(${ignoredpkgs[@]//,/ })
+ [[ -z '' ]]
+ return
+ DownloadPkgs thetime
+ source /etc/makepkg.conf
++ DLAGENTS=('ftp::/usr/bin/curl -fC - --ftp-pasv --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'http::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'https::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'rsync::/usr/bin/rsync -z %u %o' 'scp::/usr/bin/scp -C %u %o')
++ CARCH=x86_64
++ CHOST=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
++ CFLAGS='-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
++ CXXFLAGS='-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
++ LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu
++ BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc color !ccache check !sign)
++ OPTIONS=(strip docs libtool emptydirs zipman purge !upx)
++ INTEGRITY_CHECK=(md5)
++ STRIP_BINARIES=--strip-all
++ STRIP_SHARED=--strip-unneeded
++ STRIP_STATIC=--strip-debug
++ MAN_DIRS=({usr{,/local}{,/share},opt/*}/{man,info})
++ DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,local/}{,share/}{doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{doc,gtk-doc})
++ PURGE_TARGETS=(usr/{,share}/info/dir .packlist *.pod)
++ PACKAGER='philomath'
++ PKGEXT=.pkg.tar.xz
++ SRCEXT=.src.tar.gz
+ [[ false = false ]]
+ recursive=true
+ DownloadAur thetime
+ [[ -n true ]]
+ d=-dd
+ [[ '' = download ]]
+ [[ ! '' = download ]]
+ deps+=($($cower $d ${coweropts[@]} $@ -t $buildDir 2>"$tmpDir/repodeps" | awk -F " " '{print $2}'| sed -r "s:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g"))
++ cower -dd -f thetime -t /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
++ sed -r 's:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g'
++ awk -F ' ' '{print $2}'
+ [[ -e /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/repodeps ]]
+ grep 'no results found for' /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/repodeps
+ timeout thetime
++ echo thetime
++ grep -v 'no results found for'
++ grep -v 'resolve host name'
+ [[ -z thetime ]]
+ return 0
+ for i in '"${deps[@]}"'
++ grep CARCH /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -e /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/repodeps ]]
+ repodeps=($(cat "$tmpDir/repodeps" | grep -v 'no results found for' | awk -F " " '{print $2}' | sed -r "s:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g"))
++ cat /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/repodeps
++ grep -v 'no results found for'
++ awk -F ' ' '{print $2}'
++ sed -r 's:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g'
+ aurdepspkgs=(${deps[@]:${#aurpkgs[@]}:${#deps[@]}})
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ ConflictChecks thetime
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ local k=0
+ unset conflicts
+ [[ -e /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD ]]
++ grep 'conflicts=(' /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -z '' ]]
+ conflicts=($(expac -Q %n "$i"))
++ expac -Q %n thetime
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[    =~  thetime  ]]
+ conflictspkgs=("${conflicts[@]}")
+ (( k++ ))
+ nothingtodo thetime
+ [[ -z thetime ]]
+ return 0
+ ReinstallChecks thetime
+ exist=($(expac -Q %n "${deps[@]}"))
++ expac -Q %n thetime
+ Qversion=($(expac -Q %v "${deps[@]}"))
++ expac -Q %v thetime
+ (( i=0 ))
+ (( i<0 ))
+ OutofdateChecks thetime
+ paraexec
+ DownloadJson thetime
+ [[ ! -f /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime.json ]]
+ curl -Lfs 'https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=info&arg=thetime'
++ jobs
++ wc -l
+ ((  1 >= 10  ))
+ wait
++ grep '"OutOfDate":"1"' /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime.json
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ Prompt thetime
+ [[ -n sync ]]
+ echo -e '\nAUR Targets (1): thetime'

AUR Targets (1): thetime
+ [[ ! -n sync ]]
+ echo ''

+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n true ]]
+ action=installation
+ proceedY 'Proceed with installation?'
+ echo -ne 'Proceed with installation? [Y/n] '
Proceed with installation? [Y/n] + read -n 1 yn
y+ echo ''

+ case $yn in
+ return 0
+ EditPkgs thetime
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ for i in '"$@"'
+ [[ ! true = false ]]
+ [[ -n sync ]]
+ proceedY ':: Edit thetime PKGBUILD?'
+ echo -ne ':: Edit thetime PKGBUILD? [Y/n] '
:: Edit thetime PKGBUILD? [Y/n] + read -n 1 yn
y+ echo ''

+ case $yn in
+ return 0
+ [[ -e /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD ]]
+ /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD
/usr/bin/pacaur: line 215: /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm/thetime/PKGBUILD: Permission denied
+ error 'Could not open thetime PKGBUILD'
+ echo -e ':: Could not open thetime PKGBUILD'
:: Could not open thetime PKGBUILD
+ exit 1

I got the problem!, the EDITOR variable is empty, so pacaur tries to execute the PKGBUILD itself (which doesn't have execute permissions, of-course).  I think pacaur should check before.
'EDITOR=nano pacaur -S'  works correctly, thanks!

#250 2012-04-16 09:16:46

Spyhawk

philomath> Glad you found the problem. Incidentally, I fixed that very same problem a few day ago (and pushed to git this morning) so the fix will be available in the next pacaur release.

Board footer