You are not logged in.

#201 2012-04-04 05:42:39

fredbezies
Member
Registered: 2011-07-28
Posts: 333

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Since Evolution is working now - thanks to the bug I reported to gnutls team and ionut biru 3.0.17-2 package I tested - is anybody able to get events to be shown after clicking on date in gnome-shell ? I filled a bug : https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=673474

Last edited by fredbezies (2012-04-04 12:44:27)

Offline

#202 2012-04-04 06:21:48

KerrickStaley
Member
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 31

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

GDM will not start (it gives the "Oh no! Something went wrong..." screen, although the "busy" cursor and the background load before the error appears). This (apparently relevant) error was in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:
gnome-shell: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgjs.so.0: undefined symbol: gi_type_info_extract_ffi_return_value

I'm using Nouveau with a fairly recent GFX card, so there's a chance it's related to that, but I didn't see any errors form Xorg.

Last edited by KerrickStaley (2012-04-04 06:23:30)

Offline

#203 2012-04-04 06:25:02

wonder
Developer
From: Bucharest, Romania
Registered: 2006-07-05
Posts: 5,937
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

KerrickStaley wrote:

GDM will not start (it gives the "Oh no! Something went wrong..." screen, although the "busy" cursor and the background load before the error appears). This (apparently relevant) error was in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:
gnome-shell: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgjs.so.0: undefined symbol: gi_type_info_extract_ffi_return_value

I'm using Nouveau with a fairly recent GFX card, so there's a chance it's related to that, but I didn't see any errors form Xorg.


you should really do a pacmana -Syu


Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Offline

#204 2012-04-04 08:09:21

Giselher
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-02-02
Posts: 150
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Running

gnome-tweak-tool -vd

reveals that it can't find the extension, but gnome-shell can find it because I get the old theme I used before switching to 3.4

WARNING : Could not find user-theme extension in user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com,alternative-status-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com,alternate-tab@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com,mediaplayer@patapon.info,touchpad-indicator@orangeshirt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_shell.py", line 67, in __init__
    self._settings = GSettingsSetting(ShellThemeTweak.THEME_GSETTINGS_SCHEMA)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/gsettings.py", line 91, in __init__
    raise GSettingsMissingError(schema_name)
GSettingsMissingError: org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme

I found out that you can't access org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme with gsettings and thus it doesn't work with gnome-tweak-tool.

But you can change the theme with dconf-editor . Just use dconf-editor and change the name in org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme.

Offline

#205 2012-04-04 12:54:13

c-id
Member
From: Chile
Registered: 2011-06-28
Posts: 4

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Install this extension https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/19/user-themes/

and copy this file ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com/schemas/org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme.gschema.xml in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

recompile schemas

# glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

use gnome-tweak-tool to change the theme.

@wonder
With this information you can update the package gnome-shell-extension-user-theme

Last edited by c-id (2012-04-04 13:00:28)

Offline

#206 2012-04-04 13:02:51

wonder
Developer
From: Bucharest, Romania
Registered: 2006-07-05
Posts: 5,937
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

gnome-shell-extension-user-theme will be dropped


Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Offline

#207 2012-04-04 15:18:11

beta990
Member
Registered: 2011-07-10
Posts: 205

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

wonder wrote:

gnome-shell-extension-user-theme will be dropped

Will it be replaced by something else? (is it already inside Gnome 3.4?)

I want to test Gnome 3.4, but from what I understand; I can use the testing repo now and don't have to include gnome-unstable anymore. Is this correct?

Also when using the testing repo, is there an option to only install the latest gnome packages? I have really bad experience with some test packages.

Sorry for all the question, I just don't want to f* my setup. wink

Offline

#208 2012-04-04 15:50:23

vlc
Member
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 11

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

quasifilmie wrote:

Anyone else having issues with multiple monitors. In gnome 3.2, I could plug my tv in via hdmi and the gnome top bar would automatically go over to the tv (as I configured to do so in gnome display settings.). However, there seems to be a regression. When I unplug the hdmi, my computer freezes. The top bar does not come back over to the laptop and I have to hard shutdown. The only workaround is that before unplugging the hdmi I can go into gnome display settings and turn off the tv output. This is very annoying and I did not have this issue in 3.2. I have intel integrated graphics. I don't have a custom xorg config.

I also have some issues with my multimonitor setup, but it happened in gnome 3.2 too (gnome 3.0 was fine, but I can't really tell when it started to go wrong). When my laptop is docked to the docking station, everything is shown on the external monitor, which is normal. But when I undock, gnome-shell does not go back to the internal monitor. I can Alt+F1 to a console, but I cannot get the shell back to the correct screen without making a hard logout (+ switching back from the console to vt7 often hangs). I was hoping gnome 3.4 would solve the problem as they have made some improvements related to docking stations, but it doesn't and it's hard to track down the culprit.

Offline

#209 2012-04-04 16:52:28

wonder
Developer
From: Bucharest, Romania
Registered: 2006-07-05
Posts: 5,937
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

beta990 wrote:
wonder wrote:

gnome-shell-extension-user-theme will be dropped

Will it be replaced by something else? (is it already inside Gnome 3.4?)

I want to test Gnome 3.4, but from what I understand; I can use the testing repo now and don't have to include gnome-unstable anymore. Is this correct?

Also when using the testing repo, is there an option to only install the latest gnome packages? I have really bad experience with some test packages.

Sorry for all the question, I just don't want to f* my setup. wink


everyone should use now extensions straight from extensions.gnome.org


Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Offline

#210 2012-04-04 18:17:47

KerrickStaley
Member
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 31

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

wonder wrote:
KerrickStaley wrote:

GDM will not start (it gives the "Oh no! Something went wrong..." screen, although the "busy" cursor and the background load before the error appears). This (apparently relevant) error was in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:
gnome-shell: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgjs.so.0: undefined symbol: gi_type_info_extract_ffi_return_value

I'm using Nouveau with a fairly recent GFX card, so there's a chance it's related to that, but I didn't see any errors form Xorg.


you should really do a pacmana -Syu

I did; that was how I installed 3.4 (by doing an -Syu from [testing]).

Offline

#211 2012-04-04 20:54:51

mythus
Member
From: MS Gulf Coast
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 509
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Thanks, c-id, that fixed my issue with using gnome shell themes. Funny thing, I was using the extension from the website. My guess is something didn't clear out right when I removed the old extension.


Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

Offline

#212 2012-04-05 04:50:23

KerrickStaley
Member
Registered: 2011-01-26
Posts: 31

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

beta990 wrote:

I want to test Gnome 3.4, but from what I understand; I can use the testing repo now and don't have to include gnome-unstable anymore. Is this correct?

Yeah, it's in [testing] now.

beta990 wrote:

Also when using the testing repo, is there an option to only install the latest gnome packages? I have really bad experience with some test packages.

Not officially, but it's not too hard to do: try enabling [testing], running pacman -Sy gnome, and then disabling [testing]. The problem is that running pacman -Sy can cause issues: you could end up installing libraries that are "too new", breaking older packages (so if following this suggestion borks your system, don't blame me smile). In general, doing partial updates is not supported; see this page for more info.

Offline

#213 2012-04-05 11:01:33

camp
Member
From: Vancouver BC
Registered: 2009-01-20
Posts: 16

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

it's any date when gnome 3.4 become stable in normal repository?

Offline

#214 2012-04-05 12:05:37

jackgu1988
Member
Registered: 2010-11-16
Posts: 39

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

camp wrote:

it's any date when gnome 3.4 become stable in normal repository?

I don't think that it would be possible since it crashes on nvidia and ATI. Also that HDMI issue sounds pretty serious. Hopefully as soon as these issues go away we'll get it

Offline

#215 2012-04-05 13:19:22

camp
Member
From: Vancouver BC
Registered: 2009-01-20
Posts: 16

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Ok it's there any way I can help to get some bugs done?

Offline

#216 2012-04-05 14:40:54

arash-m
Member
Registered: 2011-09-07
Posts: 12

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

jackgu1988 wrote:
camp wrote:

it's any date when gnome 3.4 become stable in normal repository?

I don't think that it would be possible since it crashes on nvidia and ATI. Also that HDMI issue sounds pretty serious. Hopefully as soon as these issues go away we'll get it

It's pretty weird though. I didn't have any of those problems while I was using gnome-unstable repository.

Last edited by arash-m (2012-04-05 14:41:15)

Offline

#217 2012-04-05 14:51:33

jackgu1988
Member
Registered: 2010-11-16
Posts: 39

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

arash-m wrote:
jackgu1988 wrote:
camp wrote:

it's any date when gnome 3.4 become stable in normal repository?

I don't think that it would be possible since it crashes on nvidia and ATI. Also that HDMI issue sounds pretty serious. Hopefully as soon as these issues go away we'll get it

It's pretty weird though. I didn't have any of those problems while I was using gnome-unstable repository.

I am not a tester (no time for that before summer at least), so I can't confirm anything. People seem to experience these problems though. Maybe deleting the old configuration files (~/.gconf ~/.dconf etc) will fix some of the issues. That did the trick for me when moving from gnome 2 to 3.

Offline

#218 2012-04-05 14:53:21

camp
Member
From: Vancouver BC
Registered: 2009-01-20
Posts: 16

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Well let see after I try it myself with jhbuild. if I success this time

Offline

#219 2012-04-05 15:33:18

wonder
Developer
From: Bucharest, Romania
Registered: 2006-07-05
Posts: 5,937
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

there aren't any serious issues with gnome 3.4. i decided that is better to wait 3.4.1. Until then, please report ANY bugs upstream. Everyone wants a stable release and most bugs are upstream bugs.

@arash-m did you reported that hdmi issue upstream?


Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Offline

#220 2012-04-05 15:38:08

camp
Member
From: Vancouver BC
Registered: 2009-01-20
Posts: 16

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

wonder wrote:

there aren't any serious issues with gnome 3.4. i decided that is better to wait 3.4.1. Until then, please report ANY bugs upstream. Everyone wants a stable release and most bugs are upstream bugs.

@arash-m did you reported that hdmi issue upstream?

I agree it's better to wait but if you still want it try build for yourself some where else (for example by JHbuild) or use virtual machine.

Offline

#221 2012-04-05 15:50:08

arash-m
Member
Registered: 2011-09-07
Posts: 12

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

wonder wrote:

@arash-m did you reported that hdmi issue upstream?

No, I didn't. I just reported the inability of opening gnome-control-center in this topic.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1081075

Last edited by arash-m (2012-04-05 15:50:26)

Offline

#222 2012-04-05 16:01:27

quasifilmie
Member
Registered: 2011-10-27
Posts: 296

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

vlc wrote:
quasifilmie wrote:

Anyone else having issues with multiple monitors. In gnome 3.2, I could plug my tv in via hdmi and the gnome top bar would automatically go over to the tv (as I configured to do so in gnome display settings.). However, there seems to be a regression. When I unplug the hdmi, my computer freezes. The top bar does not come back over to the laptop and I have to hard shutdown. The only workaround is that before unplugging the hdmi I can go into gnome display settings and turn off the tv output. This is very annoying and I did not have this issue in 3.2. I have intel integrated graphics. I don't have a custom xorg config.

I also have some issues with my multimonitor setup, but it happened in gnome 3.2 too (gnome 3.0 was fine, but I can't really tell when it started to go wrong). When my laptop is docked to the docking station, everything is shown on the external monitor, which is normal. But when I undock, gnome-shell does not go back to the internal monitor. I can Alt+F1 to a console, but I cannot get the shell back to the correct screen without making a hard logout (+ switching back from the console to vt7 often hangs). I was hoping gnome 3.4 would solve the problem as they have made some improvements related to docking stations, but it doesn't and it's hard to track down the culprit.

The only way I can access a tty is if I am not logged in. Its really weird: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29285

Edit: I am reporting this upstream also. Not sure if it is proper to post both in Arch and gnome tracker. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=673585. Post useful info here.

Last edited by quasifilmie (2012-04-05 16:12:06)

Offline

#223 2012-04-05 16:32:26

jackgu1988
Member
Registered: 2010-11-16
Posts: 39

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

wonder wrote:

there aren't any serious issues with gnome 3.4. i decided that is better to wait 3.4.1. Until then, please report ANY bugs upstream. Everyone wants a stable release and most bugs are upstream bugs.

@arash-m did you reported that hdmi issue upstream?

yeah, sounds like a good plan, though it will take a month or so until gnome 3.4.1. On the one hand it is a good thing because several serious issues will be gone (hopefully) by then, but on the other hand people would love to see 3.4 asap

Offline

#224 2012-04-05 17:17:55

mythus
Member
From: MS Gulf Coast
Registered: 2008-05-15
Posts: 509
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

Just for the record... no issues on my computer, using nvidia and the proprietary nvidia drivers.


Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

Offline

#225 2012-04-05 18:04:33

wonder
Developer
From: Bucharest, Romania
Registered: 2006-07-05
Posts: 5,937
Website

Re: gnome 3.4beta2 in gnome-unstable

arash-m wrote:
wonder wrote:

@arash-m did you reported that hdmi issue upstream?

No, I didn't. I just reported the inability of opening gnome-control-center in this topic.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1081075

is it better to compile gnome-control-center with debug symbols and get a proper backtrace.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … ging_Guide


Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB