You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-18 12:49:36

Registered: 2004-08-16
Posts: 8

xterm locale (encoding) problem

if you want to be able to type and read in your native language within xterm (may be other terminal emulators too), for example to use a dictionary smile (console based:), or read a native-language text with less:) or whatever you want.

then probably

xterm -en cp1251

* cp1251 is in my case, yours encoding may be different

will do the job smile

the problem is that, xterm rely on luit to do the conversion between utf8 end local encoding... this is not a big issue, except luit is a little bugy:)

the simptoms are as follows:
sometimes xterm works, sometimes no

(in my case, the ratio was 4 time dosent work, 1 time work, and if a ran it as root, 9 times dosent work, 1 time work, but the ratios are not constant...)
after serious googling, the problem was isolated in luit (which is now part of xorg or xfree).

here is the link, that provide the right patch … ce-1.patch

personally i use the xorg form testing
and i found, that luit.c from the xorg source is the same as at the official page

then i decided to give a chance to the above patch, to do the job:)
just have create a file patch_luite which contains the patch form the above, in the directory when xorg PKGBUILD is.
then modify PKGBUILD`s sources to include luit_patch
and dont forget, to add a line, that will patch the xorg with luit_patch...
here are extracts of the PKGBUILD


   patch -Np1 -i ../mozilla-flash.patch || return 1
   patch -Np1 -i ../xorg-redhat-die-ugly-pattern-die-die-die.patch || return 1
   patch -Np1 -i ../luit_patch || return 1

then a usual makepkg, works


Board footer

Powered by FluxBB