You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-07 14:48:12

WanderingOak

[Solved] 404 for Laptop-mode-tools

I've been trying for the past hour to install laptop-mode-tools, but I keep getting the following error message from pacman: "error: failed retrieving file 'laptop-mode-tools-1.60-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.rutgers.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404". I've been able to use pacman to install other software today, so I know it is configured properly and that my repositories are up. Now, when I actually look inside the mirror, this particular package is not there. However, when I go to the Package Details , and hit the 'Download from Mirror' button, the package downloads from mirrors.kernel.org in less than a second.

I added a local directory to my /etc/pacman.conf, so now pacman returns "error: failed retrieving file 'laptop-mode-tools-1.60-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from disk : Couldn't open file /home/<myname>/pacman/laptop-mode-tools-1.60-1-any.pkg.tar.xz"

I can only guess that there must be something wrong with the package. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by WanderingOak (2012-04-07 22:57:23)

#2 2012-04-07 15:06:01

ANOKNUSA

Re: [Solved] 404 for Laptop-mode-tools

How far apart were your earlier installations and your attempt to install laptop-mode-tools?  The mirror may have been temporarily down.  I can navigate there now in a web browser without any problems.  Since you already have the package, though, you can install it using pacman -U /path/to/package. As for adding a local directory: did you create a repository database for pacman with repo-add and use pacman -Syy to update the databases?  Just adding the directory to /etc/pacman.conf won't let pacman see the package. Of course, that's only necessary if you intend to keep a local repo in the future.

#3 2012-04-07 22:39:18

WanderingOak

I made multiple attempts throughout the day to install laptop-mode-tools, none of which were successful. I also attempted to use repo-add for laptop-mode-tools-1.60-2-any.pkg.tar.xz, only to be told:
"==> ERROR: 'laptop-mode-tools-1.60-2-any.pkg.tar.xz' does not have a valid archive extension."

The manpage for repo-add says:
"Valid extensions are “.db” or “.files” followed by an archive extension of  “.tar”, “.tar.gz”, “.tar.bz2”, “.tar.xz”, or “.tar.Z”. "
which leads me to believe that the the tarball isn't formatted properly for repo-add. In other words, I am not sure if the package is configured the Arch Way.

On a whim, I untarred it, and it created new etc and usr directories inside /home/<myname>/Pacman, populated with all of the laptop-mode-tools included with the package. I was tempted to move the tarball to the top of root and extract everything there, but again, that isn't the Arch Way, and I would have to trust that the developer actually did know what he was doing, and that it wouldn't brick my laptop...

#4 2012-04-07 22:48:33

skunktrader

WanderingOak wrote:

I've been trying for the past hour to install laptop-mode-tools, but I keep getting the following error message from pacman: "error: failed retrieving file 'laptop-mode-tools-1.60-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.rutgers.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404".

The current version of laptop-mode-tools is 1.60-2.  Did you try syncing your mirror (-Syy) yet?  Did you try a different mirror?

#5 2012-04-07 22:56:50

WanderingOak

skunktrader wrote:
WanderingOak wrote:

I've been trying for the past hour to install laptop-mode-tools, but I keep getting the following error message from pacman: "error: failed retrieving file 'laptop-mode-tools-1.60-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.rutgers.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404".

The current version of laptop-mode-tools is 1.60-2.  Did you try syncing your mirror (-Syy) yet?  Did you try a different mirror?

Pacman -Syy did the trick. I hadn't synced my mirrors since last Sunday...

Thanks for the help!

Board footer