You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-08 17:19:03

jk121960

[Solved] Default terminal

Hi, I run Awesome DE, and in rc.lua I specify lxterminal as the default terminal, when I execute a terminal call from 'ranger FM' I get what could be xterm (there's no head to the app so I can't look at info). Where is this being set? So I can manipulate it and change to 'lxterminal'?

thanks, sorry for the stupid question but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I checked rc.conf on Arch and ranger, I checked apps.py in ranger, I also checked the xdg menu area but there wasn't a default.list to look at.

thanks in advance for your help.

--jerry

Last edited by jk121960 (2012-04-08 21:26:34)

Arch Awesome, Ranger & Vim the coding triple threat.

#2 2012-04-08 18:14:37

bohoomil
Website

Re: [Solved] Default terminal

What is the output of 'echo $TERM'?

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2012-04-08 18:51:22

guelfi

jk121960 wrote:

Hi, I run Awesome DE, and in rc.lua I specify lxterminal as the default terminal, when I execute a terminal call from 'ranger FM' I get what could be xterm (there's no head to the app so I can't look at info). Where is this being set? So I can manipulate it and change to 'lxterminal'?

thanks, sorry for the stupid question but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I checked rc.conf on Arch and ranger, I checked apps.py in ranger, I also checked the xdg menu area but there wasn't a default.list to look at.

--jerry

You can change it in ~/.config/ranger/commands.py. Around line 450, there should be something like:

class terminal(Command):                                                            
      """                                                                             
      :terminal                                                                       

Spawns an "x-terminal-emulator" starting in the current directory.              
      """                                                                             
      def execute(self):                                                              
          self.fm.run('x-terminal-emulator', flags='d')

Just change the x-terminal-emulator to lxterminal.

#4 2012-04-08 21:22:49

jk121960

bohoomil wrote:

Yes it is xterm as I thought where is this set?

thanks for your help.

--jerry

#5 2012-04-08 21:26:15

jk121960

guelfi wrote:
jk121960 wrote:

--jerry

You can change it in ~/.config/ranger/commands.py. Around line 450, there should be something like:

class terminal(Command):                                                            
      """                                                                             
      :terminal                                                                       

Spawns an "x-terminal-emulator" starting in the current directory.              
      """                                                                             
      def execute(self):                                                              
          self.fm.run('x-terminal-emulator', flags='d')

Just change the x-terminal-emulator to lxterminal.

Cool thanks for the info, I could have sworn I search for terminal in this file. I don't know how I missed it.

anyway thanks again I appreciate it.

--jerry

#6 2012-04-08 21:33:15

bohoomil
Website

jk121960 wrote:
bohoomil wrote:

Yes it is xterm as I thought where is this set?

$HOME/.profile or $HOME/.bash_profile:

export TERM=lxterm

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#7 2012-04-08 22:38:18

jk121960

Cool thanks I had checked everything else, /etc/environment, /etc/profile, ~/.bashrc .bashrc_profile didn't have it either but because although I can override it, I want to know where is at. I still haven't found where it is being set at. When I find it I will post it. I checked a crap load of start up files and nothing.

thanks for all your help everyone, I know I can override it but that's not the point, I want to know where the little b**tards at.

--jerry

#8 2012-04-09 13:14:41

anonymous_user

Isn't $TERM set by the individual terminal emulator?

screenshot_04_09_2012_061301.jpg

#9 2012-04-09 13:16:32

jk121960

I don't know that's what I have been trying to determine, I can't find where the variable is loaded, I have checked miles of files and can't find it.

thanks

--jerry

Board footer