You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-19 20:10:10

lestoil

printing crashes arch

Printing was setup thru kde using cups and foomatic wc recognized my parallel port Epson Action Laser1100.  I was able to print wiki pages,etc.  But today trying to print wiki file sent printer into trying to print hundreds of pages and no printer output resulted thankfully.  But Wiki page also froze, printer would not cancel; and Arch locked up.  Had to reboot few times before desktop came back. Had cups as daemon in etc/rc.conf. So now took it out to get desktop back. (Also had added adsl but removed it after adsl would not connect at bootup.  So removed that too.) Modules in rc.conf are mii(for sis900 ethernet) usbcore snd_pcm soundcore snd snd_ac97_codec. Daemons are syslog-ng hotplug network ntfs crond . 
   Not on netwk so wondered if network and ntfs are needed.Use eth0 for dsl only. Not sure what hal daemon would contribute since it fails during bootup.
  So do I need cups as daemon? And/Or another module for stable printing?  Thanx.

#2 2005-08-19 22:46:27

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: printing crashes arch

yes put cups as a daemon. I'm not sure what the module for a parallel printer would be. If you don't want to run hotplug to load all your modules, you could load it once and run hwd -s to print off the name of it. You'll have to manually install hwd by pacman -Sy hwd.

#3 2005-08-19 22:59:31

Kern

try including  modules  parport  & parport_pc

clipped section of my rc.conf

MODULES=( ...  parport parport_pc  hotplug  ... blah blah )

DAEMONS=( ...  hotplug  cups ... blah blah)

not sure of hotplug relevance tho, cant remember when or why i included them

hth

#4 2005-08-20 04:50:46

lestoil

thanks kern and penguin.  Already had cups daemon and parport module needed by parport_pc.  Added parport_pc and print job is sent to printer w/o crash and w/o printing.  It was working before... Thanx again.  Maybe another reboot will work. :?

#5 2005-08-20 07:18:34

lestoil

Followed wiki and above suggestions. cups runs as daemon and modules parport,parport_pc are in rc.conf list.  Had printing before.  Tried some of wiki modprobe commands and tail /var/log/messages.log says 'myhost lp0 using parport0(interrupt-driven)'.  Lsmod lists parport as used by parport_pc. Reinstall changes nothing.
  This printer works in SLW,FW and LN3.  It even worked from grub floppy.  Maybe some pacman upgrade altered something.  Maybe a guru can help?

#6 2005-08-20 09:36:25

Kern

ummm .... sorry if this is trawling through basics but last gasp suggestions, which u probably already tried

from rc.conf again ensure lo  for localhost
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)   

try checkout what the web-browser CUPS interface page says. maybe theres 2 instances of your printer and one is corrupt, or it needs removing / re-adding.

thats on localhost:631 - admin - popup login ->  root and your-root-password

The only other thing i can think of, as its crashing, is to suspect some form of file corruption.
Maybe try to remove completely the relevant installs, cups etc, and then re-install.

good luck

#7 2005-08-20 17:14:33

lestoil

Tried removing cups,gimp-print but could not do so.  They are needed by several other programs.  So re-installed them.  Web printer install setup same printer at parallel port 0 as thru kde control panel. Except kde setup show printer at unknown parallel port.  Other linuxes have lp0 not unknown. Test page is sent to printer but no printing.
  Compared with SLW and FW wc also use parport and parpot_pc but they also use lp0 module.  Modprobe lp0 gives fatal arror.  Lsmod doesn't
include lp0.  Even removed scsi card in case of irq conflict (ps boots faster). lshwd -a list parallel port as irq driven. Thanx for help.
:?

#8 2005-08-20 18:24:22

lestoil

There not being parallel port in lspc and no lp modules, I suspect the kernel did not pick-up the parallel port.  Removed Epson printer and added HP usb printer wc works fine.  Now Epson can go to 1st pc with xp and X3 and LN3.  Will remove parallel port from bios.  May never know what gives.  Thanx for help.
smile

Board footer