You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-20 09:21:40

nightfrost

lvm2 /home partition mysteriously corrupt

Last night I finally decided to start learning pygtk in order to have programming skills as I dive into the archie project which I want to be a part of. This morning I switched my computer on and to my utter suprise my /home partition was messed up. This is what I get when trying to mount it:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg/home,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

I'm using an lvm2 under which I have /opt /usr /var /share and /home as separate partitions. I had all of them as reiser4 a while back but changed my home partition to reiserfs just to be on the safe side. Until this morning I've had no problems with any partition. Last night I used swsusp2 to shut down the computer (something I've been doing a thousand times with this setup) and now here I am.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to recover the data from that partition, I had some pretty important stuff I didn't have a chance to backup. Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 2005-08-20 18:12:54

colnago

Re: lvm2 /home partition mysteriously corrupt

You could try this to see what the state is.  It seems to me not much more info that using a boot cd and running the partition mgr, but sometimes the boot cd can assume and use as a swap partition what was actually your corrupted data partition.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

#3 2005-08-20 23:49:17

rdoggsv
Website

that exact same message happens to me when i put a wrong option on the fstab archive.

last time i was mounting my hard drive where my suse is installed , and i was putting mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/suse -t reiserfs -o "lots of options" , and was getting that problem i dont remeber exact what option was but i need to take it out of the -o for it to mount it rite.

#4 2005-08-21 09:23:27

nightfrost

Thanks for the replies guys. I really don't understand what happened. The partition was a reiserfs on an lvm2 and worked fine till I shut down the computer. After restart all other lvm2 partitions (being reiser4) were in order, but not this one. I tried a bunch of different things, and then I tried to rebuild the superblock with reiserfsck but after that I think everything was messed up, so in fury I removed everything from the hard drive, and repartitioned - this time without lvm2 - and now I'm running a clean install of arch.

I hadn't touched any configuration files (such as fstab), and I hadn't done anything even remotely crazy - I'd been working on an article using nothing but openoffice2.

Anyway, it's really hard knowing what to avoid, when there's no knowing what caused the problem. I'm guessing it's lvm2, so I'm running without that now...

I just hope it won't happen again. I was lucky to have some backups, but this time I'm gonna run daily backups (any ideas of how to automatize that? it would be really cool to use ivman to identify a backup disc to run the backup each time that disc is attached).

Board footer