You are not logged in.

#176 2012-02-27 00:54:21

kcirick
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 364

Re: herbstluftwm

Thanks thorsten! I'm not good at making patches.

I realize the problems you've listed, and I never meant my selfish modifications to be committed to the master. Just wanted to share my hack ;-)

Offline

#177 2012-04-13 14:00:43

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

Thorsten since my update to herbstluftwm 0.3
Conky doesn't workly properly.

In 0.2 conky was on the root window in all tags but now in 0.3 it show only in one tag and in a window.
My conkyrc:

alignment bottom_right
background no
border_width 0
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
gap_x 30
gap_y 30
#minimum_size 620 5
net_avg_samples 2

# Utiliser Xft (polices lissées etc)
override_utf8_locale yes # force UTF8


font -*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
out_to_stderr no
#extra_newline no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type desktop
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no
double_buffer yes

TEXT
#My conky code here

If I comment own_window* lines it appear in one tag if I activate float mode ...

Does anybody use herbstluftwm with conky ?

Thanks !

Offline

#178 2012-04-13 15:23:57

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

mentat wrote:

Thorsten since my update to herbstluftwm 0.3
Conky doesn't workly properly.
[...]
Does anybody use herbstluftwm with conky ?

That's because the ignore_class setting has been removed. You can either use the rules to ignore conky as described in the NEWS:

    * the setting ignore_class is removed, because this also can be done by
      rules. You can replace a line like 'set ignore_class "$foo"' in your
      autostart by 'rule class~"$foo" manage=off'

or you tell conky to ignore the window manager by setting this in your conkyrc:

own_window_type override

I recommend the second one, it's much easier wink

Offline

#179 2012-04-13 15:33:52

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:

That's because the ignore_class setting has been removed. You can either use the rules to ignore conky as described in the NEWS:

    * the setting ignore_class is removed, because this also can be done by
      rules. You can replace a line like 'set ignore_class "$foo"' in your
      autostart by 'rule class~"$foo" manage=off'

I recommend the second one, it's much easier wink

Ouch' sorry for the lame ...
It's work great.
Big kudo to give me the clean conky config.

Long live to herbstluftwm !
FMI: do you plan to put a donation button on your website to support you ^_^

Offline

#180 2012-04-13 15:45:00

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

mentat wrote:

FMI: do you plan to put a donation button on your website to support you ^_^

Currently I don't have any costs (except the time...), so: no wink

Offline

#181 2012-04-13 16:09:40

mentat
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 138
Website

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:
mentat wrote:

FMI: do you plan to put a donation button on your website to support you ^_^

Currently I don't have any costs (except the time...), so: no wink

Fine, so if you come north of France I'll pay you a beer ... German one wink

Offline

#182 2012-04-15 12:02:07

Baryon
Member
Registered: 2011-08-12
Posts: 63

Re: herbstluftwm

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but is there any way of (or any plans for) floating a single window, rather than a whole tag? Because it seems quite necessary for dialog boxes (like a Find dialog). Pseudotiling is great, but for dialog boxes I don't think it's enough.

Another thing I've noticed is that if focus_follows_mouse is enabled, and if you switch to a different tag such that the cursor is positioned over a non-focused window in the new tag, then the focus doesn't automatically shift to that client, even if you move the cursor around. You either have to move the cursor over a different client and then back again, or use a keybinding.

Offline

#183 2012-04-15 14:38:34

jchtt
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2006-12-10
Posts: 13

Re: herbstluftwm

Is anyone here using frame_bg_transparent with the recent git version? Instead of using the background image, hlwm uses the last image on the screen, i.e. if I switch from my tag with firefox running to an empty tag, what I see is the firefox window and not the background.

Edit: Never mind, it seems I had a problem in my autostart which caused this problem.

Last edited by jchtt (2012-04-15 14:59:17)

Offline

#184 2012-04-15 17:56:50

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

Baryon wrote:

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but is there any way of (or any plans for) floating a single window, rather than a whole tag? Because it seems quite necessary for dialog boxes (like a Find dialog). Pseudotiling is great, but for dialog boxes I don't think it's enough.

It's planned for some day and the current plans are described here: http://tinyurl.com/hlwm-float

Baryon wrote:

Another thing I've noticed is that if focus_follows_mouse is enabled, and if you switch to a different tag such that the cursor is positioned over a non-focused window in the new tag, then the focus doesn't automatically shift to that client, even if you move the cursor around. You either have to move the cursor over a different client and then back again, or use a keybinding.

That's actually a feature, because the window focused is remembered correctly. Think about the following situation:

  1. Text editor and the music player next to each other on tag 1, focus on the text editor

  2. Browser (with documentation) on tag 2

  3. You're writing something in the editor

  4. But then you need the documentation, so you switch to Tag 2

  5. Move the mouse to click somewhere

  6. Then you switch back to tag 1, but now the mouse hovers the music player

What should happen? In my opinion the last focused window (i.e. the editor) must be focused because the user didn't actively move the mouse from the editor to the music player.

Offline

#185 2012-04-15 18:24:41

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

^ I agree with thorsten on the last point.

Offline

#186 2012-04-15 20:26:43

jchtt
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2006-12-10
Posts: 13

Re: herbstluftwm

Another quick question: Would it be possible to introduce a function similar to move_index which also changes the tag and keeps the current window focused, a behaviour similar to most floating wms? In theory, this is quite easy to script, namely:

herbstclient move_index +1 && herbstclient use_index +1 && herbstclient cycle_all +1

But at least for me, the execution is a bit slow. If I want to quickly skip two or three tags, I may end up with the wrong window having been moved

Offline

#187 2012-04-16 19:41:46

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

I think I've found a bug: raise_on_click doesn't work.
From my autostart:

hc set focus_follows_mouse 1
hc set raise_on_click 1
hc set raise_on_focus 0
hc set focus_follows_shift 1

I can't raise a window in floating mode with this settings.

Offline

#188 2012-04-16 20:06:46

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

Doomcide wrote:

I think I've found a bug: raise_on_click doesn't work.
From my autostart:

hc set focus_follows_mouse 1
hc set raise_on_click 1
hc set raise_on_focus 0
hc set focus_follows_shift 1

I can't raise a window in floating mode with this settings.

OK, you're right. I didn't really cared abouth that until now but I will try to fix it in the next days. Thanks!

Offline

#189 2012-04-16 20:12:36

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

No, thank you smile

Offline

#190 2012-04-17 02:33:12

syngin
Member
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2011-03-29
Posts: 39

Re: herbstluftwm

Switched over from spectrwm last night and boy oh boy, this is an excellent wm. Well done, thorsten.

Offline

#191 2012-04-18 13:15:21

moneylcj
Member
Registered: 2011-04-07
Posts: 14

Re: herbstluftwm

if herbstclient can add two commands  'undo'  and 'only' like musca in next version?
i think them are  very usefull in tiling wm.
thank you.

Last edited by moneylcj (2012-04-18 13:16:55)

Offline

#192 2012-04-18 15:36:16

Doomcide
Member
Registered: 2011-08-22
Posts: 221

Re: herbstluftwm

moneylcj wrote:

if herbstclient can add two commands  'undo'  and 'only' like musca in next version?
i think them are  very usefull in tiling wm.
thank you.

I think stuff like this can be done easily (read: without a script) when hlwm gets the ability to bind several commands to a key.

Offline

#193 2012-04-19 01:38:15

moneylcj
Member
Registered: 2011-04-07
Posts: 14

Re: herbstluftwm

Doomcide wrote:
moneylcj wrote:

if herbstclient can add two commands  'undo'  and 'only' like musca in next version?
i think them are  very usefull in tiling wm.
thank you.

I think stuff like this can be done easily (read: without a script) when hlwm gets the ability to bind several commands to a key.

yes,but hlwm has no ability to bind several commands to a key at now.

Offline

#194 2012-04-19 03:31:27

kcirick
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 364

Re: herbstluftwm

It should be easy to code.

Looking at musca code, it does exactly what I would've expected: remove the frames recursively until there is no frame left but itself (or in hlwm language, it has no parent frame). Whether thorsten wants this in the coming versions of hlwm, I don't know.

Offline

#195 2012-04-27 00:02:35

syngin
Member
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2011-03-29
Posts: 39

Re: herbstluftwm

Is there some way of identifying a tag that has an urgent hint and has focus?

Offline

#196 2012-04-27 08:50:26

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

syngin wrote:

Is there some way of identifying a tag that has an urgent hint and has focus?

Not currently. Maybe on some day,  but it requires a different design of tag_status. But currently I don't have any time to work on it.

Offline

#197 2012-04-28 01:26:09

syngin
Member
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2011-03-29
Posts: 39

Re: herbstluftwm

thorsten wrote:
syngin wrote:

Is there some way of identifying a tag that has an urgent hint and has focus?

Not currently. Maybe on some day,  but it requires a different design of tag_status. But currently I don't have any time to work on it.

Ahh, cool, thanks.

Offline

#198 2012-04-28 09:30:23

moneylcj
Member
Registered: 2011-04-07
Posts: 14

Re: herbstluftwm

when use 'cycle_all [DIRECTION]' to cycle all window in current tag, if a window
isn't in current frame, herbstulftwm will move focus to the window's frame.
is there a way move the window to current frame instead of move focus to the
window's frame?

Offline

#199 2012-04-28 09:53:49

thorsten
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 151

Re: herbstluftwm

moneylcj wrote:

when use 'cycle_all [DIRECTION]' to cycle all window in current tag, if a window
isn't in current frame, herbstulftwm will move focus to the window's frame.
is there a way move the window to current frame instead of move focus to the
window's frame?

No. So the "next" window should be brought to the current frame? Or only if it isn't visible? Do you need something like the cycle-through all invisible windows like in musca?

Offline

#200 2012-04-28 10:56:18

moneylcj
Member
Registered: 2011-04-07
Posts: 14

Re: herbstluftwm

No. So the "next" window should be brought to the current frame? Or only if it isn't visible? Do you need something like the cycle-through all invisible windows like in musca?

Yes, I need something like the cycle-through all invisible windows like in musca.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB