You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-05 19:02:06

phunni

Persisting permissions

I have a Sony Clie PDA and I want to sync it with Jpilot.  I have everything set up as far as I can, but I have a problem with permissions.

When I press the sync button on my Pda /dev/usb contains (temporarily) tts/0 & tts/1

If I give myself read/write permission on these nodes (0777) then I can sync without problem.  Unfortuantely when the nodes disapear (after the sync has completed) I lose permissions and can't sync again without setting them.

This is a very awkward way of doing things - can anyone help me figure out how to set this up so the permissions persist between syncs?

#2 2003-12-05 20:18:16

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Persisting permissions

Check out the package hotplug.  I'm sure you can find instructions on how to use hotplug to get the permissions right for your clie, I use it for my camera no problem.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-12-10 16:39:37

Gyroplast
Website

--- /etc/devfsd.conf ----
# Register palm device to /dev/pilot
REGISTER        ^usb/tts/1$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname pilot
REGISTER        ^usb/tts/.*     PERMISSIONS     root.usb 0660
REGISTER        ^pilot$         PERMISSIONS     root.usb 0660
UNREGISTER      ^usb/tts/1$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink pilot

This symlinks my USB port 1 (yours might differ) to /dev/pilot and sets permissions to 0660, user root, group usb. Added my user account to the group usb, and everything is just dandy as expected. Give it a shot! smile

HTH,
  Gyroplast

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#4 2003-12-10 18:26:03

phunni

brilliant! that worked!

Thank you

Board footer