You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-21 06:20:24

MrHyde

I am incapable of setting up xorg to work

I tried on my laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility card. I figured it was ATI because for the life of me I can never get their crap to work. No big deal, that's just kind of a pet project anyway since my laptop is a piece and doesn't need 3d accelleration.

Recently I decided to replace my FC4 install on my desktop with arch. I put fluxbox on and everything runs peachy. I pacman -Sy nvidia, which doesn't work. I realize I have a GeForce 2 and need nvidia-legacy. I install it, it seems to be ok. At this point I run xorgconfig. It didn't work for me on the laptop but hell why not.

I followed the instructions in the Wiki and everything seems to be the way it should be, but for some reason when I start X all that happens is it shows the nVidia splash screen, then goes black, then the splash screen, repeat until infinity.

I've never had an xorg.conf file that worked which leads me to believe I'm doing something retarded that ruins my every attempt. Would someone please take a look at it and let me know if it seems weird anywhere? Thanks.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~covill/xorg.conf.file

#2 2005-08-21 06:57:19

tbroderick

Re: I am incapable of setting up xorg to work

in the "InputDevice" section. change  /dev/mouse to /dev/input/mice

#3 2005-08-21 07:08:34

scarecrow

Instead of running xorgconfig try:
pacman -Sy hwd lshwd
hwd -x

Microshaft delenda est

#4 2005-08-21 09:46:03

arooaroo
Website

tbroderick wrote:

This is the problem I had when I first tried setting up Xorg. May be worth trying.

A look at your xorg log file in /var/log would be useful I think. Any lines beginning with (EE) show errors that occured. Be on the lookout for (WW) warnings too.

#5 2005-08-21 12:32:22

metromini

had you tried to uncomment the DRI section?

#6 2005-08-21 15:39:12

MrHyde

scarecrow wrote:

Instead of running xorgconfig try:
pacman -Sy hwd lshwd
hwd -x

I appreciate the help, but what does this do? Obviously downloads a couple things and some kind of command, but what?

I appreciate all your help, I'm going to try all these suggestions later on today. Thanks a bunch.

#7 2005-08-21 16:49:10

arooaroo
Website

hwd and lshwd - IIRC - are tools written by Arch Linux users for Arch Linux users. They are for hardware detection.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … igure_xorg from the wiki (look towards the bottom of the page) gives a little more detail about using hwd for generating an xorg config, based on the hardware it finds. This differs from the xconfig approach, where you have to give all the details that X needs to know.

Give it a whirl - it'll generate a conf for you, and hopefully it'll do the job. smile

#8 2005-08-22 02:34:13

MrHyde

tbroderick wrote:

This worked great for me. Thanks.

I tried the other thing with hwd and lshwd and ended up with an almost identical xorg.conf. Cool tools though, definitely save some time. Also it's nice to know what specifically was wrong. Thanks for the help all.

Board footer