You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-18 08:30:00

infernova

Canon Digicam problem

I know I've been asking lots of questions, but I don't know where to turn to since one problem appears after another.

I plugged my USB Canon Powershot S110, and do /less/proc/bus/usb/devices, and the system recognizes it. No Problem

I install digikam, and libgphoto2, and when i launch digikam with auto-detect mode, it manages to find my camera model....GREAT!, and so I thought.....

BOOM....Failed to connect to camera. Make sure your camera is turned and properly plugged....WTH????

I searched entire forum for similar problems, from using brute force until this

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Digital_Cameras

Thinking this could be the last resort, I gave it a shot.
Guess what.....the digikam now won't even recognize my camera anymore......

What A Hell!, I thought improved distro is supposed to make things easier. I plugged my camera to different distro, and it runs smoothly.

Is ARCH supposed to behave this way? One by one simple things blows into big problems?

or it's just my stupidity?

#2 2005-08-18 09:55:27

infernova

Re: Canon Digicam problem

I found the solution, though sounds strange and doesn't make sense, at least in my point of view.

After following the guide, I actually reboot my machine once. Yet, it still didn't work. After hours of exhausting trial and error method, I went on  to logoff and run digikam as root. Of course, it worked.

I logoff and login again as normal user, and run digikam. To my surprise, it worked.......Go Figure!

#3 2005-08-18 14:22:48

lanrat

If you want to get rid of hotplug scripts and use pure udev rules follow this thread (the 3 rules starting with "action"):
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=13870
I have canon ixus v3 working in "normal" mode.

#4 2005-08-19 01:08:07

Greycloack

I have a powershot A85 and it also runs fine. I configured it a few months ago, don't really remmember how. It is recognized as a "USB PTP camera" or something and I have no problem using it

#5 2005-08-21 10:01:28

Daenzello

You should use hotplug scripts from libgphoto2, see there
It works fine under Arch for any PTP camera.
(the scripts itself are in the libgphoto2 source tarball)

Board footer