You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-10 10:11:29

RogerS
Website

[Solved] Networkmanager interface question

This is something that hasn't really been making a problem out of itself, but still, it bugs me.

When I boot, as my laptop is booting, and it's showing processes coming up, it gets to a point where it says

Error: Unknown interface in /etc/rc.conf: "!eth0"

In my rc.conf, I have the following:

interface=(!eth0 !wlan0)

Now, in the networkmanager wiki page, it says that setting it up like that is obsolete, but it doesn't say anything about what is the currently accepted way of doing this. As I said, it doesn't seem to be creating any performance issue, either for wireless connection, or with an ethernet cable, but it still bugs me seeing that every time I boot (and every time I shut down as well).

Can anybody tell me what a more proper way of formatting that line would be?

Last edited by RogerS (2012-04-16 11:09:51)

#2 2012-04-10 10:15:08

Gcool

Re: [Solved] Networkmanager interface question

Only one interface can be configured through /etc/rc.conf. For multiple interfaces, netcfg is probably the easiest option. It's explained on the wiki.

Burninate!

#3 2012-04-15 06:09:12

RogerS
Website

Sorry it took me so long to respond - I had a crazy week.

Ok though, I'm not sure I understand how this works...because I've taken !eth0 out of my rc.conf, so now it reads

interface=(!wlan0)

And now, when booting, it says

Error: Unknown interface in /etc/rc.conf: "!wlan0"

If I change it to say

interface=wlan0

Then it hangs on boot, when it's starting the network, for about a minute.

The really baffling thing is, none of it seems to matter - wifi works, and it works when I plug an ethernet cable in.

I had it working so it would boot, not give me any errors, and not hang on network, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I was doing differently.

#4 2012-04-15 07:31:01

Gcool

To eliminate the delay in waiting for the network daemon to initialize during boot; you can simply start it in the background by adding a "@" in front of it in your daemons array in /etc/rc.conf. More info on the wiki.

Burninate!

#5 2012-04-15 14:38:23

RogerS
Website

Look, I don't want to come off like I'm not reading the wikis - I am. I've poured over them. At this point, I'm assuming that you're saying the proper way to write this in would be

interface=wlan0

Correct?

I will try the @ in front of "networkmanager" in the DAEMONS section.

But if that's the only network interface I'm allowed, in rc.conf, then why does an ethernet cable still work?

#6 2012-04-15 15:06:22

65kid

NetworkManager has nothing to do with rc.conf and it seems to me like you have both "network" and "networkmanager" in you daemons array which doesn't make sense.
The network daemon is configured with rc.conf (interface= etc.) and is for people who just have a single ethernet interface to set up. It hangs on boot with interface=wlan0 because that tells the network daemon to get an IP address via DHCP on the wlan0 interface which obviously won't work because the wireless connection isn't set up (the network daemon can't do this).
If you are using NetworkManager you should remove the "network" daemon and the settings in rc.conf will therefore be ignored.

#7 2012-04-16 11:09:22

RogerS
Website

Ah, ok, that was the problem. Silly oversight on my part - I knew I was supposed to take "network" out of the daemons array, but somehow neglected to do it. Thank you, 65kid.

Board footer