You are not logged in.

#751 2012-04-06 06:05:22

parkermcg

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Hello, I really have loved using dwb.
Whenever I try to open a google+ hangout, when I click anything past the "check your hair" screen, dwb crashes. Here is the terminal output:

[004:949] Started GoogleTalkPlugin, path=/opt/google/talkplugin/GoogleTalkPlugin
[004:949] Waiting for GoogleTalkPlugin to start...
[005:952] Attempting to connect to GoogleTalkPlugin...
[005:952] Read port file, port=43704
[005:953] Initiated connection to GoogleTalkPlugin
[006:053] Socket connection established
[006:053] ScheduleOnlineCheck: Online check in 5000ms
[006:153] Got cookie response, socket is authorized
[006:154] AUTHORIZED; socket handshake complete
[0406/010313:ERROR:message_queue.cc(481)] Failed to send boolean response to client handle : Broken pipe
[011:210] Read port file, port=43704
[011:210] Initiated connection to GoogleTalkPlugin
[011:285] HandleOnlineCheck: Starting check
[011:285] HandleOnlineCheck: OK; current state: 3
[011:285] Socket connection established
[011:285] ScheduleOnlineCheck: Online check in 5000ms
[011:309] Got cookie response, socket is authorized
[011:309] AUTHORIZED; socket handshake complete
[016:350] HandleOnlineCheck: Starting check
[016:350] HandleOnlineCheck: OK; current state: 3
[0406/010321:ERROR:renderer_gl.h(129)] MakeCurrent() failed
[0406/010321:FATAL:renderer_gl.h(131)] Check failed: success. 
LibcurlWrapper init succeededUploader initializing	Product: Google_O3D_Plugin_Linux	Version: 0.1.44.15	GUID: unknown	Email: unknownAdding /tmp/587ddc61-cce8-3d62-64b65b7c-2298bba2.dmp to form upload.Sending request to http://clients2.google.com/cr/report0dad092c1a3a7a0bAborted

I don't know much about code but if you can figure out what is going on here, thanks.

#752 2012-04-06 09:58:59

Shinryuu

Have you tried any other libwebkit based browsers if their behavior is exactly same? Clickable buttons are in the upper part of the browser and I get crashes there and there. Same also happens with luakit browser. It seems there's something going on with the libwebkit so far as I know sad

#753 2012-04-16 05:46:45

nomadicME

portix wrote:

I don't know how to circumvent the problem with window.open. The problem here is that webkitgtk emits a signal when the browser should open a new window but i don't know if it is possible to get the parameters of the call of open, the signal itself gives no information about it.
I see what the issue with insert-mode is, i will fix this as soon as possible.

dwb,

(recall posts #735-#738)

I went and posted my question on stackoverflow, but got no response.  I then posted on the webkit-help mailing list where I got confirmation that the following webkit browsers can launch a popup of specified dimensions: chrome/chromium, safari & seamonkey.  I know you are busy with other requests and I have been delving lately into development.  I was wondering, if you had no further insight into this problem at this point, if you could help me get up to speed on how to listen (tools/commands) for the signal emitted when the browser should open a new window?  Would this be done in the web-inspector or in the source debugging software?  I would of course communicate any findings.

Last edited by nomadicME (2012-04-16 06:18:15)

#754 2012-04-16 07:08:12

portix

In the documentation there are 2 signals, one signal is called "create-web-view", the other signal is called "new-window-policy-decisision-requested", i don't know if the latter is ever emitted, for window.open and also for '_blank' the former is emitted. So using the webkitgtk-api it is not possible to get the dimenions, the only information you get with this signal is the webview and the frame that requests a new window.
All the browsers you mention don't use webkitgtk and i don't know if webkit is so limited if one uses webkit directly. I had no insight into this problem because i simply don't have this problem, i don't want windows to be opened in popups, i'm using dwm and popups in dwm are annoying, but if you have an idea how to get the right dimensions i would make it optional to create a new window.

#755 2012-04-16 07:42:08

nomadicME

portix wrote:

In the documentation there are 2 signals, one signal is called "create-web-view", the other signal is called "new-window-policy-decisision-requested", i don't know if the latter is ever emitted, for window.open and also for '_blank' the former is emitted. So using the webkitgtk-api it is not possible to get the dimenions, the only information you get with this signal is the webview and the frame that requests a new window.
All the browsers you mention don't use webkitgtk and i don't know if webkit is so limited if one uses webkit directly. I had no insight into this problem because i simply don't have this problem, i don't want windows to be opened in popups, i'm using dwm and popups in dwm are annoying, but if you have an idea how to get the right dimensions i would make it optional to create a new window.

Thanks, I'll start digging.  I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

#756 2012-04-17 00:52:40

Reded

HI, I've been using this browser for a while, the only thing stopping me removing Chromium completely is that this dwb doesn't seem to handle magnet links - That is, when I click one it takes me to an error page, whereas Chromium just opens up the torrent in my chosen (qbittorrent). Anything I can do to fix that? Thanks!

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#757 2012-04-17 06:54:27

portix

You can set up a scheme-handler which handles uris that are not supported by webkit, my scheme-handler looks like this

#!/bin/bash

case ${DWB_SCHEME} in 
  mailto) xterm -e mutt ${DWB_URI};;
  magnet) xterm -e aria2c ${DWB_URI};;
  ftp) xterm -e ncftpget ${DWB_URI};;
esac

#758 2012-04-20 13:19:03

TheLemonMan
Website

arr, i lately noticed that dwb keeps destroying the cookie jar when it exits. I fear its because i often shutdown the pc with the halt command without closing all the apps first neutral

#759 2012-04-23 14:11:49

nonah

I can't seem to get html5 to work with youtube (I haven't tried with anything else though). It just doesn't load.

Any ideas?

Edit: Scratch that, apparently I hadn't installed some relevant gstreamer plugins, works like a charm now smile

Last edited by nonah (2012-04-23 14:19:24)

#760 2012-04-23 19:49:00

intrntbrn

whats the class name of a flash fullscreen client? (using awesome-wm with mouseover, so its hard to use xprop)
still loving dwb

#761 2012-04-23 22:56:05

portix

The class of the fullscreen flashplugin is also Dwb, i'm not sure if the class name of the flashplugin can be changed.

#762 2012-04-25 12:44:24

Onyros

skottish wrote:

Hey portix,

I upgraded dwb-hg today and there are a few things that are happening. One of them is that all SSL sites are now shown as untrusted and the other is that settings are no longer persistent. I believe that these are both being caused by the stack in [testing] and not dwb though. The first two messages on the command line are:

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(dwb:10540): libsoup-CRITICAL **: soup_message_set_first_party: assertion `first_party != NULL' failed

--EDIT--

My laptop that wasn't upgraded today shows the same libsoup message, but not the GLib message. But since libsoup and gnutls frequently have issues with upgrades to one another, that may explain the problem.

skottish, how did you solve your SSL sites problem? Mine are all showing as untrusted, using dwb-hg. Some sites are not loading up for me because of it, and I'm a bit lost here. Where should I point my SSL certificates setting?

*edit* Pointed it to /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt - I suppose it was there before and I deleted it somehow. Sticking it here for future reference - or someone's help wink

Last edited by Onyros (2012-04-25 12:56:13)

#763 2012-04-25 13:03:10

portix

Onyros wrote:

*edit* Pointed it to /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt - I suppose it was there before and I deleted it somehow. Sticking it here for future reference - or someone's help wink

That's the right path, there will be a new setting "ssl-use-system-ca-file" in the next release or the release after the next release which chooses the certifcate automatically.
The Message about GSettings can be ignored since dwb doesn't use GSettings.

#764 2012-04-25 14:50:33

Onyros

I'm having intermittent problems with Facebook. All other browsers (webkit based as well) load the page without problems, dwb gives me a "Connection terminated unexpectedly" error. May this be related to the SSL certs?

#765 2012-04-25 17:17:54

Reded

portix wrote:

You can set up a scheme-handler which handles uris that are not supported by webkit, my scheme-handler looks like this

#!/bin/bash

case ${DWB_SCHEME} in 
esac

Hi, I know it was a bit ago you posted this reply, I just realised it!

Where am I supposed to place this scheme handler, and how do I link it to dwb?

Also (This is a none-issue for me because I don't use it, I just downloaded it to test) The GTK3 version of dwb seems to blink and flash when scrolling - Not sure if that's a dwb issue or another issue, just thought I'd heads-up!

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#766 2012-04-25 17:37:26

portix

Reded wrote:
portix wrote:

#!/bin/bash

case ${DWB_SCHEME} in 
esac

Hi, I know it was a bit ago you posted this reply, I just realised it!

Where am I supposed to place this scheme handler, and how do I link it to dwb?

Also (This is a none-issue for me because I don't use it, I just downloaded it to test) The GTK3 version of dwb seems to blink and flash when scrolling - Not sure if that's a dwb issue or another issue, just thought I'd heads-up!

There is a setting 'scheme-handler', you can set it to the absolute path of the scheme handler script, or if it's in your PATH simply to the name of the script.
I think this blinking is a cairo issue, but i'm not sure about it. It seems that all browsers that use libwebkit3 have this problem. For me it happens only with nvidia, not with catalyst. Haven't tested nouveau or radeon.

#767 2012-04-25 17:48:28

portix

Onyros wrote:

I'm having intermittent problems with Facebook. All other browsers (webkit based as well) load the page without problems, dwb gives me a "Connection terminated unexpectedly" error. May this be related to the SSL certs?

I can reproduce this but it only fails occasionally (about 1 out of 10 attempts) and it also fails in luakit.

Last edited by portix (2012-04-25 17:49:05)

#768 2012-04-25 18:25:44

Onyros

Yup, it's definitely webkit related - but not happening with Midori. I tried jumanji, luakit and dwb... all had the same problem. I cleared the cookies and it hasn't happened since, in dwb, at least. Hard to reproduce, this one, as it is really intermittent.

#769 2012-04-25 20:52:29

Reded

Ahh - The scheme-handler setting isn't in the browser settings page, but it's in the settings file!

And I use Catalyst not NVidia tongue

#770 2012-04-26 02:08:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

Onyros wrote:

skottish, how did you solve your SSL sites problem? Mine are all showing as untrusted, using dwb-hg. Some sites are not loading up for me because of it, and I'm a bit lost here. Where should I point my SSL certificates setting?

I never did until I read this post a few minutes ago. Every computer that I have worked properly until the upgrade to libwebkit 1.8.x, so I thought that the issue lied there. portix asked the question about my settings before, but I got very busy for some time and wasn't even thinking about it, so I never looked further. See what slacking can accomplish?

#771 2012-04-26 19:17:13

Reded

Hi, for the past couple of days downloading things with dwb hasn't gotten anywhere. I click the download, type in my download path, and the download bar appears, but just has (name of file) ???

Seems to happen with anything I download through browser! I'm fairly sure I haven't messed with any setup files I shouldn't have, so I'm not sure what else to do.

The download-external line in settings reads:

download-external-command=xterm -e wget 'dwb_uri' -O 'dwb_output' --load-cookies 'dwb_acookies'

As far as I know it's said that since I started using the browser (Haven't had any reason to touch it).

EDIT:

Luakit and Midori both return big black boxes with nothing in them when I click a download link. Does this mean it's a webkit thing? Or my computer acting up in an odd way? big_smile

Last edited by Reded (2012-04-26 19:30:03)

#772 2012-04-26 19:24:11

portix

That is a bug that appeared with webkit-1.8.0. It was fixed in dwb-hg about 2 weeks ago.

#773 2012-04-26 19:56:36

Onyros

Probably somehow related, there are some zip files that I download with dwb that are corrupted, like the download doesn't finish.

For example, try any subtitles zip file from subscene - download them with dwb and then with chromium, midori, whatever. I had the same problem Reded was having, but updated my dwb-hg and the problem was cleared, apart from a couple of zip files in different sites.

#774 2012-04-26 20:09:17

Reded

I've been using the stable snapshot, not hg - I'll install hg, thanks for the fast reply as usual!

#775 2012-04-27 11:15:29

Onyros

portix, it's still happening to me and the only way to regain access is to clear the cookies file. This morning I couldn't even access the site, backed up the cookies file and threw in a clean one - bang: instant access. Tried using the cookies file again and the site didn't load up.

Board footer