You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-16 20:59:46

work

[SOLVED] Officially supported packages: is their code checked?

My question is a little silly. When a package enters the official repository, is its code checked by the Maintainer? Just saying, just in case there is something strange in it.
Thank you

Last edited by work (2012-04-17 08:43:48)

#2 2012-04-16 21:14:28

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Officially supported packages: is their code checked?

I doubt anyone audits the code, but the maintainer should test it to see if it works and doesn't do something silly https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old … issues/123

#3 2012-04-16 22:44:46

tomegun
Developer

work wrote:

When a package enters the official repository, is its code checked by the Maintainer?

Short answer: no.

In practice it is up to the judgement of the individual maintainer, but I doubt anyone ever truly audits code. Some sanity checks are of course done.

#4 2012-04-16 23:14:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

Does the false sense of security from having our packages signed now wash away given the primary attack vector of the upstream source is still wide open?

#5 2012-04-16 23:19:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you can't trust what comes from upstream, then don't swim in the river! wink

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-04-17 01:20:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If you can't trust upstream, why do you trust our developers and TUs? Some of them are known breakage-creators (Allan), some of them may not even exist in real life in any real provable manner (Xyne).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2012-04-17 03:20:09

drcouzelis
Website

Allan wrote:

Does the false sense of security from having our packages signed now wash away given the primary attack vector of the upstream source is still wide open?

Don't be bitter! wink

#8 2012-04-17 04:32:32

Montague
Banned

Last edited by Montague (2015-07-28 02:48:55)

#9 2012-04-17 05:02:59

Gcool

Montague wrote:

does this mean that, in order to truly feel safe, an individual/organisation would have to audit *every* piece of code they choose to use, or write everything from scratch, all that work just to have complete control and peace of mind?

Bottomline, yes. It all comes down to "trust on the web" again. If you're using package X by developer Y, you're going to have to trust Y up to a certain degree (or audit every line of code before putting it to use).

Burninate!

#10 2012-04-17 05:15:10

Runiq

Allan wrote:

I lol'd heartily.

Also, if you want to be really kinda sure, look for developers that sign commits to their repos with GPG and whatnot. Then you at least know whom to blame…

#11 2012-04-17 05:18:30

ewaller
Administrator

Montague wrote:

Interesting discussion. Let me see if I understand correctly: does this mean that, in order to truly feel safe, an individual/organisation would have to audit *every* piece of code they choose to use, or write everything from scratch, all that work just to have complete control and peace of mind? That would be an insane amount of work! ...

You have never worked on a system on which lives depend, have you?  wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#12 2012-04-17 06:17:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ewaller wrote:
Montague wrote:

Interesting discussion. Let me see if I understand correctly: does this mean that, in order to truly feel safe, an individual/organisation would have to audit *every* piece of code they choose to use, or write everything from scratch, all that work just to have complete control and peace of mind? That would be an insane amount of work! ...

You have never worked on a system on which lives depend, have you?  wink

<OT>The other day I was weeding... MY life certainly depended on it, what with my wife's attitude towards gardens</OT>

And I do recall reading about holes even if software used by the US DOD, so no, I don't think anyone actually DOES the work, though it would seem to be necessary for absolute surety.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2012-04-17 06:33:48

knopwob
Website

Montague wrote:

Interesting discussion. Let me see if I understand correctly: does this mean that, in order to truly feel safe, an individual/organisation would have to audit *every* piece of code they choose to use, or write everything from scratch, all that work just to have complete control and peace of mind? That would be an insane amount of work!

If you can read (and understand and evaluate if it's containing a bug/problem)  one line of code per second, then it would take 173 days to read through the linux sources.

#14 2012-04-17 08:43:35

work

Thank you for all your answers.
My question was silly indeed as I can see

Board footer