You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-10 20:59:52

SJ_UnderWater

mDNSResponder on blacklist? new PKGBUILD [solved]

I tried searching for info on this, but when I wrote a pkgbuild for Apple's mDNSResponder and tried to upload it, I was told it's on the blacklist. The only relevant package I can find in both the repositories and AUR is avahi, which is fine, but there is also an "official" solution, and with a little work it's perfectly serviceable.

PKGBUILD

Moved to AUR

Last edited by SJ_UnderWater (2012-04-22 20:17:55)

#2 2012-04-17 06:05:18

SJ_UnderWater

Re: mDNSResponder on blacklist? new PKGBUILD [solved]

can anyone tell me why mDNSResponder was blacklisted?

#3 2012-04-17 11:49:38

Lone_Wolf

Try asking that question on the AUR mailinglist : https://mailman.archlinux.org/mailman/l … ur-general

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2012-04-17 17:42:29

SJ_UnderWater

alright, i bit the bullet and posted a message

#5 2012-04-18 01:01:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

And you've been answered, I see. Please mark this as [solved].

For reference - its blacklisted because avahi provides it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2012-04-18 01:48:03

SJ_UnderWater

is that all it takes to get it blacklisted? I already knew the functionality overlapped with Avahi, but I would like to develop this for work with Netatalk

#7 2012-04-18 02:28:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Well, I'm pretty sure its not an intentional 'thou shalt not have mdnsresponder in the AUR', rather it runs something like this:-

1) AUR will not accept packages which already exist in the repos
2) If package A conflicts&replaces&provides package B, package A is assumed to be at least equivalent to package B (probably even a superset)
3) Hence AUR will not accept package B if package A exists in the repos

More to the point, even if you submit mdnsresponder to the AUR successfully, the next -Syu would replace it with avahi (because of the replaces). I'm not familiar with avahi or mdnsresponder, but it would seem that you'd need avahi updated not to replace mdnsresponder. Bug report requesting as such in flyspray, then.

And once again, please mark [solved].

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2012-04-18 02:35:21

SJ_UnderWater

its been marked

#9 2012-04-18 06:45:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

SJ_UnderWater wrote:

its been marked

Thank you.

Board footer