You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-19 12:21:30

sheomualjy

Graphics cards running hot

Hi

I have two Sapphire Radeon 6870 graphics cards which use the open source xf86-video-ati drivers. The problem is that they run extremely hot! When running nothing but a simple openbox session, the first idles at 68 degrees C and the second at 64 degrees C, whereas in windows, they each idle at around 35-40 degrees.

I did a bit of research, and one persons blog said that the open source drivers are not as good at regulating the temperature as the proprietary drivers. However, I use the virtual console a lot (I am trying to learn how to use it) and need the KMS abilities that the open source drivers provide. I hate the appalling TTY resolution of the proprietary drivers, so I pretty much need to stick with the open source drivers unless someone can help me with the proprietary drivers and their resolution problems.

My question is whether or not anyone else has noticed that their graphics cards run very hot with the open source ati drivers, and whether there is a way to fix it.

EDIT: Yes, there is substantial airflow between the two cards. Just to be sure, I took one out, and the remaining idled at 63 degrees C according to lm_sensors

Thanks in advance!
James

Last edited by sheomualjy (2012-04-19 12:22:39)

#2 2012-04-19 12:35:22

Pres

Re: Graphics cards running hot

I had the same issue with the open source drivers. My card would idle around 60-62C. Once I switched to catalyst, the temps dropped to around 50C.

For the framebuffer resolution, you can try using uvesafb with catalyst to set a higher resolution.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uvesafb

Last edited by Pres (2012-04-19 12:36:42)

#3 2012-04-19 12:36:02

Radioactiveman

#4 2012-04-19 12:44:28

sheomualjy

Re: Graphics cards running hot

Thanks for those two posts.
I tried installing the catalyst drivers, however I had issues with dbus-launch and the scaling:

In windows, with the catalyst driver, in the catalyst control center there is a setting for scaling, in which there is a slider that goes between underscan and overscan. It adjusts how big the image appears on the screen. Black borders appear between the edge of the image and the edge of the actual monitor. In X, i can adjust that, however in the TTY, i can't adjust that.

I am trying to avoid the catalyst drivers so that there is no issues with the scaling in the virtual consoles. Does anyone know a way of changing the scaling amount?

Thanks

Board footer