You are not logged in.

#251 2012-04-19 11:13:02

ne

Re: pacaur - an AUR helper that minimizes user interaction

Is there a way to make it check for newer git/svn/gh/etc versions and only rebuild if the currently installed version is out of date? pacaur -u --devel seems to rebuild every package even if they are up to date.

#252 2012-04-19 12:34:12

Spyhawk

ne wrote:

Is there a way to make it check for newer git/svn/gh/etc versions and only rebuild if the currently installed version is out of date? pacaur -u --devel seems to rebuild every package even if they are up to date.

Not as far as I know, as the only installed git/svn/etc version number that is tracked in the package DB is the package that is in the PKGBUILD. The only way I could think of is that the developer himself  update the pkgbuild version manually on the aur.

#253 2012-04-19 12:49:04

ne

Spyhawk wrote:
ne wrote:

Not as far as I know, as the only installed git/svn/etc version number that is tracked in the package DB is the package that is in the PKGBUILD. The only way I could think of is that the developer himself  update the pkgbuild version manually on the aur.

Yaourt seems to check the git version against the installed one. I might have to keep it around for that, since it speeds up upgrades.

#254 2012-04-19 12:55:02

Spyhawk

ne wrote:

Yaourt seems to check the git version against the installed one. I might have to keep it around for that, since it speeds up upgrades.

If that is possible, that's definitely something worth implementing. Thanks for reporting.

#255 2012-04-21 19:29:44

Spyhawk

ne> So I've analysed what yaourt does, and I just discovered that --devel in yaourt and pacaur (and packer as well) are simply not the same thing. Yaourt -Sua --devel download all git/svn/hg/etc pkgbuilds, and checks the version number in the local database and those in the pkgbuilds (the one manually modified by the package maintainer). If different, the packages are rebuilded.
This behavior is obtained in pacaur (and packer) simply by upgrading aur packages with -u or -Sua. If the pkgbuild number is different, rebuild, regardless of being a devel pkg or not.

What --devel does in pacaur is to force rebuild of devel pkgs, as there is really no tracking of version number and no way of knowing exactly which git commit are installed in your system. Also, yaourt --devel only checks pkgs by their name extension while  the content of the pkgbuild is being checked by pacaur (so yaourt would never take into account package like packer, that are git pkgbuild but does not use -git in their name).

Note that the --devel feature of yaourt is so strange to me that I'm wondering if its behavior is simply not a bug - or does it make sense? - you might want to report it to its developer. Also, you can try to disable cleandevel option in pacaur.conf to speedup git/svn/.. checkout when using --devel.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-21 19:31:53)

#256 2012-04-21 20:15:07

ne

I'll get rid of yaourt and to a daily "pacaur -u --devel --noconfirm --noedit", then. Thanks for the response.

#257 2012-04-23 16:01:59

rlevArch

- When checking AUR packages for updates, pacaur outputs a lot of "Couldn't resolve host name" and "Timeout was reached" messages in spite of the internet line working correctly. The cause seems to be the high number of threads used by the cower backend. Try to tweak cower's config file to decrease the value in "MaxThread" and see if the errors go away.

I started having this issue and reducing the number of threads does not fix the problem. I get the same issue with cower on its own, so I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else been able to deal with this issue when just reducing the maxthreads doesn't help?

Last edited by rlevArch (2012-04-23 16:02:11)

#258 2012-04-23 17:09:07

Spyhawk

rlevArch wrote:

I started having this issue and reducing the number of threads does not fix the problem. I get the same issue with cower on its own, so I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else been able to deal with this issue when just reducing the maxthreads doesn't help?

Try limiting the number of threads to one. If you still have problem, that is probably a (temporary) line problem on your side.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-23 17:09:20)

#259 2012-04-23 17:17:28

ne

I'm having a strange issue on my laptop. Pacaur no longer asks if i want to edit something, It just starts vim instantly. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

#260 2012-04-23 18:01:37

Spyhawk

ne> Could be a regression introduced in pacaur v3, if you just updated from 2.5.7. By the way, you shouldn't blindly use "pacaur -u --devel --noconfirm --noedit" - be responsible.

Edit: Confirmed. That will be fixed in 3.0.2 to be released soon. Thanks for reporting.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-23 18:06:11)

#261 2012-04-23 18:12:31

rlevArch

Spyhawk wrote:
rlevArch wrote:

Try limiting the number of threads to one. If you still have problem, that is probably a (temporary) line problem on your side.

I have tried and the problem's persisted... it's been like this for a few days. Could you elaborate on the temporary line problem? I'm able to ping the aur no problem, and packer works fine

#262 2012-04-23 18:26:42

Spyhawk

rlevArch wrote:

I have tried and the problem's persisted... it's been like this for a few days. Could you elaborate on the temporary line problem? I'm able to ping the aur no problem, and packer works fine

If you internet connection is fine (good ping, no slowness, etc.), then that *might* be the newest cower version that has a problem (updated 15th of April). Please contact cower's developer himself if necessary. I also have similar issue sometimes, but I'm currently on an excruciatingly slow connection with high ping values, and I guess that is unlikely to be related to cower itself.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-23 18:28:16)

#263 2012-04-23 20:38:04

rlevArch

My issue was solved with falconindy's help in #archlinux, it was a DNS problem on my router. Not entirely sure WHY, because my surfing and pinging all worked well, but changing the DNS to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 fixed all the problems.

#264 2012-04-23 22:00:31

philomath

In the newest version (3.0.1-1), the --ignore option seems to be broken. it's argument gets lost somewhere on the way to pacman and cower, and they err.

here is a trace:

~ $ bash -x pacaur -Syu --ignore python-pychm
+ name=pacaur
+ version=3.0.1
+ export LANG=C
+ LANG=C
+ editor=nano
+ color=false
+ clean=true
+ fallback=true
+ editpkgbuild=true
+ editinstall=true
+ cleandevel=true
+ carchmagic=true
+ [[ -n /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg ]]
+ xdg_config=($(echo "${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS}" | awk -F ":" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}' ))
++ echo /etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
++ awk -F : '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) print $i}'
+ for i in '${xdg_config[@]}'
+ [[ -d /etc/xdg ]]
+ export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
+ break
+ configDir=/etc/xdg/pacaur
+ userconfigDir=/home/sm/.config/pacaur
+ source /etc/xdg/pacaur/pacaur.conf
++ editor=nano
++ color=false
++ clean=true
++ fallback=true
++ editpkgbuild=true
++ editinstall=true
++ cleandevel=true
++ carchmagic=true
+ [[ -r /home/sm/.config/pacaur/config ]]
+ false
+ pacmanBin=pacman
+ cower=cower
+ source /etc/makepkg.conf
++ DLAGENTS=('ftp::/usr/bin/curl -fC - --ftp-pasv --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'http::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'https::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u' 'rsync::/usr/bin/rsync -z %u %o' 'scp::/usr/bin/scp -C %u %o')
++ CARCH=x86_64
++ CHOST=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
++ CFLAGS='-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
++ CXXFLAGS='-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
++ LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu
++ BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc color !ccache check !sign)
++ OPTIONS=(strip docs libtool emptydirs zipman purge !upx)
++ INTEGRITY_CHECK=(md5)
++ STRIP_BINARIES=--strip-all
++ STRIP_SHARED=--strip-unneeded
++ STRIP_STATIC=--strip-debug
++ MAN_DIRS=({usr{,/local}{,/share},opt/*}/{man,info})
++ DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,local/}{,share/}{doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{doc,gtk-doc})
++ PURGE_TARGETS=(usr/{,share}/info/dir .packlist *.pod)
++ PACKAGER='philomath'
++ PKGEXT=.pkg.tar.xz
++ SRCEXT=.src.tar.gz
+ tmpDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ buildDir=/tmp/pacaurtmp-sm
+ [[ -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ ! -w /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ ! -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ ! -d /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ args=("$@")
+ for i in '"${args[@]}"'
+ [[ -Syu =~ ^-[a-zA-Z0-9] ]]
+ opts+=("$i")
+ [[ --ignore =~ ^-[a-zA-Z0-9] ]]
+ [[ python-pychm =~ ^-[a-zA-Z0-9] ]]
+ pkgs=()
+ count=0
+ index=0
+ [[ 0 -ne 1 ]]
+ getopts sidmykufecqrahvVDQRSTUbglnoptw-: OPT
+ pacmanarg+=("-$OPT")
+ case "$OPT" in
+ pacS=1
+ operation=sync
+ edit=true
+ coweropts+=("-f")
+ [[ -Syu =~ w ]]
+ installpkg=true
+ pacmanarg+=("-$OPT")
+ case "$OPT" in
+ [[ -n 1 ]]
+ operation=sync
+ refresh=true
+ coweropts+=("-f")
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n 1 ]]
+ continue
+ pacmanarg+=("-$OPT")
+ case "$OPT" in
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n 1 ]]
+ operation=sync
+ upgrade=true
+ coweropts+=("-f")
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n 1 ]]
+ continue
+ pacmanarg+=("-$OPT")
+ case "$OPT" in
+ case "$OPTARG" in
+ ignoredpkgs+=("${args[$OPTIND]}")
+ ignoreopts+=("--ignore" "${args[$OPTIND]}")
++ expr 3 - 1
+ shift 2
+ shift
+ [[ '' =~ ^--[a-zA-Z0-9] ]]
+ pkgs+=("$1")
+ index=2
+ [[ 2 -ne 1 ]]
+ shift
+ [[ '' =~ ^--[a-zA-Z0-9] ]]
+ pkgs+=("$1")
+ index=1
+ [[ 1 -ne 1 ]]
+ pkgs=(${pkgs[@]//})
+ pacmanarg=(${pacmanarg[@]/--/})
+ pacmanarg=(${pacmanarg[@]/-r/})
+ [[ ! -n nano ]]
+ [[ ! -f /usr/bin/pacman ]]
+ [[ ! -w /tmp/pacaurtmp-sm ]]
+ [[ -z '' ]]
+ [[ sync = download ]]
+ [[ sync = makepkg ]]
+ [[ sync = sync ]]
+ [[ ! -n true ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ case $operation in
+ [[ ! -n true ]]
+ ClassifyPkgs
+ [[ true = true ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ GetIgnoredGrps
+ ignoredgrps+=($(grep '^ *IgnoreGroup' '/etc/pacman.conf' | cut -d '=' -f 2-))
++ grep '^ *IgnoreGroup' /etc/pacman.conf
++ cut -d = -f 2-
+ unset pkgs
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ sudo pacman -S -y -u --ignore
Password: 
pacman: option '--ignore' requires an argument
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -n '' ]]
+ [[ true = true ]]
+ UpgradeAur
+ GetIgnoredPkgs
+ ignoredpkgs+=($(grep '^ *IgnorePkg' '/etc/pacman.conf' | cut -d '=' -f 2-))
++ grep '^ *IgnorePkg' /etc/pacman.conf
++ cut -d = -f 2-
+ [[ -e /home/sm/.config/cower/config ]]
+ ignoredpkgs=(${ignoredpkgs[@]//,/ })
+ info 'Starting AUR upgrade...'
+ echo -e ':: Starting AUR upgrade...'
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
+ aurpkgs+=($($cower -u ${pkgs[@]} ${ignoreopts[@]} | tee 1>&2 >(awk -F " " '{print $2}'| sed -r "s:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g")))
++ cower -u --ignore
++ tee /dev/fd/63
+++ awk -F ' ' '{print $2}'
+++ sed -r 's:\x1B\[[0-9;]*[mK]::g'
cower: option '--ignore' requires an argument
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ nothingtodo
+ [[ -z '' ]]
+ echo ' there is nothing to do'
 there is nothing to do
+ exit

Keep up the great work!

#265 2012-04-24 04:02:09

Spyhawk

philomath> Thanks for the report. I actually did test extensively --ignore option, but it seems I made a little change just before the release that broke it, meh. Working on a bugfix now, and sorry for the breakage. You can use pacman.cong IgnorePkg variable in the meantime.

rlevArch> I'll add the DNS tip to the first post, thanks :]

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-04-24 04:03:37)

#266 2012-04-24 07:49:18

philomath

Don't be so sorry, please...
I'm not actually needing the ignore option now.  I have just used it accidentally, and I thought it's my responsibility to report.

cheers.

#267 2012-04-25 15:52:23

Spyhawk

Just released 3.0.2, hopefully fixing both reported issues.

#268 2012-05-10 13:21:29

Hiram
Website

Is it possible to edit PKGBUILD files with pacaur -Se <pkg>?

If I try to install archmage using `packaur -S archmage`, it fails because of a dependency check - python-pychm should be python2-pychm. I can use `pacaur -e archmage` to edit the file, which doesn't perform the install (obviously), doing `pacaur -Se archmage` doesn't work either. Am I doing something wrong?

#269 2012-05-10 13:55:09

Spyhawk

Hiram wrote:

Is it possible to edit PKGBUILD files with pacaur -Se <pkg>?

If I try to install archmage using `packaur -S archmage`, it fails because of a dependency check - python-pychm should be python2-pychm. I can use `pacaur -e archmage` to edit the file, which doesn't perform the install (obviously), doing `pacaur -Se archmage` doesn't work either. Am I doing something wrong?

Hiraam> If the upstream PKGBUILD is faulty, you either need to ask the maintainer to fix it and/or do manual compilation with makepkg.
Also, please read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1036745 for the actual behavior of the "-e" switch. Note that this has been recently changed in pacaur-git, and -e will work as you might have expected it in the next stable version :]

#270 2012-05-21 09:50:29

Spyhawk

Hi there,

Over a year ago, I released the first public version of pacaur, yet again another AUR helper amongst the existing helpers. Since then, pacaur has gradually gained popularity within the community and I am very glad to see other people appreciating it.

Pacaur started as a very personal project (well, it still is :]), and I would certainly not have started it if I knew in advance how much time it would require. Today, I believe it has evolved to the point that it has become a serious alternative to other popular helpers, and this is far beyond all my initial expectations.

So thanks to the many people that contributed directly or indirectly to this project, by creating ideas or code that inspired me, by releasing the tools on which pacaur is built on, by reporting and helping me to fix issues, or simply by sending me encouraging words. Without all of you, pacaur would not be what it is today.

Happy Arching!

#271 2012-05-21 11:23:45

SanskritFritz
Website

Two words: Thank you.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#272 2012-05-21 12:49:10

X-dark
Website

Keep the good work!

Cedric Girard

#273 2012-05-21 21:18:15

GSF1200S

Spyhawk wrote:

Hi there,

Over a year ago, I released the first public version of pacaur, yet again another AUR helper amongst the existing helpers. Since then, pacaur has gradually gained popularity within the community and I am very glad to see other people appreciating it.

Pacaur started as a very personal project (well, it still is :]), and I would certainly not have started it if I knew in advance how much time it would require. Today, I believe it has evolved to the point that it has become a serious alternative to other popular helpers, and this is far beyond all my initial expectations.

So thanks to the many people that contributed directly or indirectly to this project, by creating ideas or code that inspired me, by releasing the tools on which pacaur is built on, by reporting and helping me to fix issues, or simply by sending me encouraging words. Without all of you, pacaur would not be what it is today.

Happy Arching!

You had me holding my breath wink I was expecting "unfortunately...", lol. Thanks alot for this AUR helper and thanks for all your hard work; it has become the best (or at least one of the best). smile

#274 2012-05-22 15:36:47

Spyhawk

GSF1200S wrote:

You had me holding my breath wink I was expecting "unfortunately...", lol. Thanks alot for this AUR helper and thanks for all your hard work; it has become the best (or at least one of the best). smile

Sorry for disappointing you then big_smile
Pacaur is still maintained, and the next version will be released soon smile

#275 2012-06-27 14:36:15

Gen2ly
Website

Thanks for this Spyhawk, looks to be very well done. 

I read the third page regarding sudo permissions, and I still a bit confused.  Can pacaur be invoked to run without a password (i.e. inferred w/o the --asroot option)?  Since I have pacman in my sudoers, I figure either pacaur or cower is calling sudo, and this seems built-in (as I tried to put cower in my sudoers as well).  I know this may be a minor amelioration but running password-less would help me greatly.  Any ideas?

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Board footer