You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-18 21:18:11

mkudro
Website

Hardocore dependency of kdelibs on spellcheck?

Could someone please explain me what was the story behind kdelibs hardcore dependency on enchant -> aspell - hspell??? Why there is hard dependency on wrapper library to spelling check which on it's own (hard) depends on aspell and hspell - hebrew spell? So what's hebrew spell has to do with kdelibs?
I found this ticket filed few month ago and closed on the same day:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26892#close

Ticket referred to solution:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/ … dcdb8dc519

"Solution" tells me that if hspell is not installed every (yes every) application will start panicking about missing libraries.  I never herd of application being (hard) dependent on hspell libraries. So to come back to my question, i am new to arch, could you please explain me does every application out there is re-coded for arch so they would include dependency on hspell? If so, why?

#2 2012-04-19 23:17:21

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Hardocore dependency of kdelibs on spellcheck?

You seem to be missing the way the dependency tree works .

kdelibs needs enchant , enchant needs hspell .
The bug ticket and solution suggest that if hspell is not present , all apps that use enchant send error messages about missing the hebrew library.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-04-20 07:21:38

mkudro
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You seem to be missing the way the dependency tree works .

kdelibs needs enchant , enchant needs hspell .

hmm.... let see what was in my initial posting - very first sentence of my post, to be exact:

kdelibs hardcore dependency on enchant -> aspell - hspell

Lets go all "CSI" on it - i start with "kdelibs" and continue saying something about it being dependent on.....what i was saying there? Ah "enchant"...now, let's see were arrow is pointing towards .... oh yeah -> aspell and hspell....
I guess you have missed that enchant also needs aspell.
And "solution" clearly states "every application", and even it is clear that only apps that will require enchant would do some complaining it is not good enough explanation for ARCH - the best documented distro out there. I was trying to be sarcastic, but i do give you that, it is very hard to bring sarcasm in writing, one should be very good writer, and i am clearly not.

OK, now we are done with "missed the ways etc", lets go to the fact that you have came to my posting, where i clearly asking question that i want to understand and all you did is (wrongfully) accused me of not understanding something and left without even trying to give me an answer to my question!!!
What was you purpose of posting here?

#4 2012-04-20 07:23:34

headkase

Switch to decaf.

#5 2012-04-20 07:37:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@mkudro - idly thinking that "package B should not depend on C" is a waste of time - the time of the dev who has to read and close your bug report, and others who happened to read your thread. If you believe B should not depend on C, first try out what happens when hspell does not exist. Your post indicates you did not even try that basic thing. Please, be a bit more proactive, this IS Arch, after all.

Closing.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer