You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-23 00:31:51

plockery

Bug with WPrefs in windowmaker 0.92?

I did a clean install of arch 0.7 last night and then upgraded everything and installed windowmaker.
The latest version 0.92 (previosuly I had 0.91) was installed but gave me an immediate problem.

In WPrefs (now in /usr/bin/WPrefs) no icons were displayed for the various windows in WPrefs.
Running WPrefs from a terminal window reveals that WPrefs cant find any of the icon files, though they are all there in a new /usr/share.../tiffs directory.

With 0.92 it seems all the paths have changed and the connection between WPrefs and its icon files has been broken.

I had to uninstall 0.92 and force pacman to install 0.91 from the arch install cd. WPrefs works fine in 0.91.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with 0.92

Is it a bug with windowmaker or with the arch package itself?

Peter

#2 2005-08-23 11:13:44

bogomipz

Re: Bug with WPrefs in windowmaker 0.92?

Yes, I had the same problem. Originally, I just ignored the missing icons - I didn't change the preferences that often anyway. Then I tried changing the --with-appspath compiletime option since I was recompiling anyway (with a patch that removes GNUstep menus from the alt-tab switch panel), but appspath doesn't seem to be used anymore.

Today, I worked out a solution. Placing the binary in same directory as the icons makes WPrefs display its icons again. If you don't want to rebuild the package, you can copy /usr/share/WPrefs/ to somewhere in your $HOME, and copy /usr/bin/WPrefs into your copy of the WPrefs directory. You then, of course, have to make sure you launch WPrefs from this copy of the binary, not from /usr/bin/WPrefs.

The somewhat cleaner solution is to rebuild the pkg with the following code added right after the "make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install" line in the PKGBUILD:

# help WPrefs find its resources
  cd $startdir/pkg/usr
  mv bin/WPrefs share/WPrefs/WPrefs
  echo -e '#!/bin/shncd /usr/share/WPrefsnexec ./WPrefs' > bin/WPrefs
  chmod 755 bin/WPrefs

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#3 2005-08-23 13:39:54

plockery

Many thanks bogomipz!

I have not tried to use PKGBUILD ... maybe one day when I feel a bit more confident with linux.

So I just copied as you suggested  /usr/bin/WPrefs to /usr/share/WPrefs/ and WPrefs works fine.

Much appreciated.

Peter

#4 2005-08-23 15:10:29

poetofnumbers
Website

In the ChangeLog for Windowmaker 0.92, it says that --with-appsdir has been removed and replaced by --with-gnustepdir.  You need to make this replacement in the PKGBUILD file.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#5 2005-08-24 08:41:59

bogomipz

poetofnumbers wrote:

In the ChangeLog for Windowmaker 0.92, it says that --with-appsdir has been removed and replaced by --with-gnustepdir.  You need to make this replacement in the PKGBUILD file.

Ah, how could I not see that? This is of course a much better solution. There still is a bug in WPrefs that the wmaker people need to sort out though, because the default is to install in /usr/bin + /usr/share, which doesn't work.

All of your mips are belong to us!!

Board footer