You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-23 09:05:12

khajvah

[SOLVED] Display manager, GRUB and NTFS

Hello people

Yesterday I spent whole day on installling and configuring my arch but i still have 3 problems.
1st and most important is GRUB, i wanted to dual boot with windows vista, i have windows vista installed on another partition but now, after i installed arch, it doesnt show on GRUB. How can i solve that problem, i really need it because my family is not using linux.
2. I cant make the Display manager work, i could install xdm but when i type username and password it redirects to the same xdm. BTW, i followed the documentation from arch's website.
3. I can not open NTFS partitions, i have installed something called ntfs-3g but didn't help.

Thanks for help.:)

Btw, i need a network manager so it will connect to wifi network automatically like in ubuntu or windows, i dont want to do "iwconfig ..." evey time ...

Last edited by khajvah (2012-04-23 10:43:18)

#2 2012-04-23 10:20:30

M177ER

Re: [SOLVED] Display manager, GRUB and NTFS

#3 2012-04-23 10:35:23

Gcool

Welcome to the forums.

For your second question/issue, make sure your have dbus installed and started.

Burninate!

#4 2012-04-23 10:39:39

khajvah

Thank you very much, now i have windows and i dont care about display manager smile
Anyway i will check "dbus"

#5 2012-04-23 10:50:01

DSpider

There's a wiki on XDM, with a very relevant entry to your problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XD … fter_login

But why use a display manager at all if you're the only one in your family using Linux? To keep away the plebeians?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Boot

Thank you very much, now i have windows and i dont care about display manager

I think you're confusing it with a bootloader.

- A display manager lets you choose a user, and depending on the manager perhaps even a desktop environment (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc) or a window manager (Openbox, xmonad, awesome, etc).
- A bootloader lets you choose which operating system you want to start.

Anyway, because of the DIY nature of Arch you should take it in stride, one problem at a time instead of posting a thread with 4 different issues (3 of which have numbers). Search the forums, browse the wiki, google similar issues, then come back if you're stuck or you need help with something.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-04-23 10:53:31

DSpider

Hmmm... Why do I have a feeling that sounded more like a goodbye?

Oh, well. Take care!

You shall forever be remembered on these forums. We will miss you greatly.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#7 2012-04-23 10:58:40

khajvah

DSpider wrote:

There's a wiki on XDM, with a very relevant entry to your problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XD … fter_login

But why use a display manager at all if you're the only one in your family using Linux? To keep away the plebeians?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Boot

Thank you very much, now i have windows and i dont care about display manager

I think you're confusing it with a bootloader.

- A display manager lets you choose a user, and depending on the manager perhaps even a desktop environment (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc) or a window manager (Openbox, xmonad, awesome, etc).
- A bootloader lets you choose which operating system you want to start.

Yeah, i meant, now, nobody from my family will call me and say "WTF have you done with the computer big_smile", bc i am the only one who uses computer not only for inet. Now, they will use windows:)

#8 2012-04-23 11:00:50

khajvah

DSpider wrote:

Hmmm... Why do I have a feeling that sounded more like a goodbye?

Oh, well. Take care!

You shall forever be remembered on these forums. We will miss you greatly.

You didnt get me, anyway, i will use Linux, wondows, especially vista, is not for me.

BTW, i am lucky, i started the thread with uppercase smile

#9 2012-04-23 11:54:43

M177ER

Since you are the only one wanting to get into the Arch OS you are going to want to change the the default in menu.lst to be Windows so if the computer reboots for some reason, Windows update maybe, it'll reboot back into Windows after it times out.

# general configuration:
timeout   5
default   0
color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

Last edited by M177ER (2012-04-23 11:57:17)

#10 2012-04-23 12:03:55

khajvah

M177ER wrote:

Since you are the only one wanting to get into the Arch OS you are going to want to change the the default in menu.lst to be Windows so if the computer reboots for some reason, Windows update maybe, it'll reboot back into Windows after it times out.

# general configuration:
timeout   5
default   0
color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

Yeah, i have already done that but thanks smile

Board footer