You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-02 20:44:23

idjut

System freezes on boot, ioremap error?

Hi, I upgraded more than 400 packages today and tried to be careful with reading up on upgrades, but of course not well enough.

First I noticed when it created the image that gave a warning that some errors were encountered without specifying them and then to say that build was successfull. I tried to look up the error but it didn`t say anything in /var/log/pacman.log and by googling it I saw that it could be trivial. When I tried to boot however, the system appears to freeze both with the normal and the fallback image.

During boot it goes into some X mode that I haven`t seen before and I explicitly set it up to go directly into console mode in case the graphic drivers (which in this case is poulsbo, un driver terrible that gave me many problems before). Anyway, since it goes into a graphic mode that is just a black screen I suspect I can´t see all of the output. The last thing I see before it goes black is:

:: Adjusting system time and setting kernel timezone
:: Starting UDev Daemon
:: Triggering UDev uevents 
:: Loading Modules
:: Waiting for UDev uevents to be processed
[       7.463863] ioremap error for 0x3f66e000-0x3f671000, requested 0x10, got

I took a picture of the screen and I didn`t get to the end of that line, but I will reproduce if needed.

One thing I noticed before rebooting was that UDev didn`t detect my sdcard from the memorycard-reader like it did just a couple of hours before. Is it a UDev error then?

How to troubleshoot this?

Thank you for all help.

Last edited by idjut (2011-10-02 21:11:50)

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

#2 2011-10-04 23:45:12

idjut

Re: System freezes on boot, ioremap error?

Any ideas? Booting freezes

Linux user #403491

"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect." - E. A. Poe from Eleonora

#3 2011-12-23 14:26:33

idjut

After 2 months I am back trying to solve this one as I tired of ubuntu..

I installed the newest versions of xorg-server. Then I remade the image by doing pacman -Sy linux. While creating the image it still gives me unspecified error (how can I find out which error this is?) and on reboot it fails.

I change the booting entry in grub to what is written here:
http://www.archlinux.org/news/changes-t … filenames/

Thanks for any help

Linux user #403491

#4 2011-12-23 14:27:50

idjut

During boot it says that device need to settle. Is this a clue?

Linux user #403491

#5 2012-04-19 15:30:13

idjut

No clues?

Linux user #403491

#6 2012-04-23 02:39:54

ArchiMark

Sorry, don't have answer for you, but I get a ioremap error message similar to your message when I boot.

Although I don't know if this is causing any problems or not, my laptop seems to run OK....but would be nice to know if this is a problem getting this message.

Silicon Valley Digerati & Arch Noob
Arch Linux: Fujitsu U820
ArchLinuxARM: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200

#7 2012-04-23 09:31:17

sano

I also get these messsages, but so far I didn't notice any problems (well, apart from having to deal with this very basic gma3600 driver).

I know that the driver for gma500/3xxx chipsets changed from psb_gfx to gma500 lately, so if you have anything related to your graphic card left over from the old kernel in rc.conf, modprobe.conf, mkinitcpio.conf, you should remove it.

Please give more details about your hardware, your kernel version, your system configuration (do you boot directly to X?) if you want to get you more competent and helpful advice.

#8 2012-04-23 13:44:14

ArchiMark

sano wrote:

I also get these messsages, but so far I didn't notice any problems (well, apart from having to deal with this very basic gma3600 driver).

I know that the driver for gma500/3xxx chipsets changed from psb_gfx to gma500 lately, so if you have anything related to your graphic card left over from the old kernel in rc.conf, modprobe.conf, mkinitcpio.conf, you should remove it.

Please give more details about your hardware, your kernel version, your system configuration (do you boot directly to X?) if you want to get you more competent and helpful advice.

I think you're onto to it, sano, at least in my case.....

My little Fujitsu U820 has the gma500 chipset.....and as you say, the driver changed recently from psb_gfx to gma500. So, will check those files you mention for any references to the old driver and see what happens....

Thanks!

Silicon Valley Digerati & Arch Noob
Arch Linux: Fujitsu U820
ArchLinuxARM: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200

#9 2012-04-23 14:04:19

sano

idjut wrote:

Then I remade the image by doing pacman -Sy linux.

That's not how you upgrade your kernel... See here.

Board footer