You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-25 08:09:22

Thor@Flanders

[SOLVED]How safe is it to exclude a group from updating?

Hi,

Well, the title says it all. At install, I followed the defaults for the partitioning scheme, with result that my sda3 has become too small. I suspect I've got two libre-offices in there (somewhere) but I cannot find them...
More to the point, I use Xfce (exclusively) and could like to exclude the gnome group from future updates. How safe is that?
I glossed in the relevant wiki and did find a way to do it, I just wanted to check the safety level first...

Thanks!

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-04-25 08:40:32)

#2 2012-04-25 08:11:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]How safe is it to exclude a group from updating?

Not safe at all, assuming you actually USE anything from the gnome group. And if you don't, uninstall it. Why not simply resize your partitions....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-04-25 08:13:38

Thor@Flanders

Can that even be done? I did'nt even think of that as I considered that impossible. Now you've gotten me interested...thanks!

And...just how safe is it? I hate to wine but...this system is the most successfull install I ever did, and I'd hate to lose it...

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-04-25 08:15:51)

#4 2012-04-25 08:15:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thor@Flanders wrote:

And...just how safe is it? I hate to wine but...this system is the most successfull install I ever did, and I'd hate to lose it...

I think you've been around long enough to know better than to ask that sort of question BEFORE trying to find out....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-04-25 08:23:15

Thor@Flanders

I think you've been around long enough to know better than to ask that sort of question BEFORE trying to find out....

Yea', but if there's something Linux did teach me is to acknowledge the ones that know and to proceed with caution. So, sorry for making sure. wink

Okay, so, resizing. Let's google this.

Thanks!

Thor

Edit - gparted live...go figure

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-04-25 08:25:59)

Board footer