You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-23 22:47:45

Bysshe

Cannot get my box to reboot since KDM -solved-

So I put KDE's "KDM" manager in my daemons, and I've configured it to my liking from KDE's graphical "Control Center".  Before even configuring it, though, I noticed that if I go to the K menu to reboot, it gets all the way to the "Unmounting filesystems" line, and just hangs.  It still does this.

So, I assume something in my system isn't playing nice with KDM.   Or there is a file that I might be able to edit.  I've checked here and at KDE's website for information and reported bugs with empty hands.  Hopefully one of yoos guys knows sumthin'.  Thank you very much again, and I love this distribution, even more, this community.   I'm spoiled by Arch Linux.  big_smile

#2 2005-08-23 23:12:47

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Cannot get my box to reboot since KDM -solved-

Are you mounting a ntfs partition? There was an issue about system hanging at the "Unmounting filesystems" stage when an ntfs partition was mounted. I don't know if it was fixed.

#3 2005-08-23 23:29:05

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

yes it was fixed (through abs at least) run abs and the check your kernel PKGBUILD for the ntfs patch and build it.
It worked for me.

#4 2005-08-23 23:34:12

Bysshe

Alrighty...then!  Heh, I've been looking at the ABS with a cautious eye for a long time.   It looks so daunting... 

Time to get my feet wet.  big_smile

#5 2005-08-23 23:52:19

Bysshe

Is it just me, or is fixing this problem extremely difficult for a noob?  I have a hard time understanding the wikis concerning this.  Any simplification possible?

#6 2005-08-24 00:22:08

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

to run abs, I believe you need the cvsup package.

1) run abs as root and it will update all the PKBUILD's including your kernel's.
2) cd in /var/abs/kernels/<pkgname> where pkgname is the name of your kernel (kernel26, kernel26-scsi, kernel24, kernel24-scsi).
3 As root, do:

makepkg -cfbi

That will build and install your kernel.
If you get md5sums incomplete on kernel26 you can just comment out that entire array (I say this because I always get those errors with the latest kernel26 package, but normally you would take them seriously)

#7 2005-08-24 00:38:54

medicated

Yah, this is something that a new-to-linux user might have a problem with, but the general assumption is usually that Arch user's are fairly competent with such tasks.  Either way, it seems like something that should be fixed.  I was going to suggest a bug report, but then I already found this

#8 2005-08-24 03:22:37

Bysshe

medicated wrote:

Yah, this is something that a new-to-linux user might have a problem with, but the general assumption is usually that Arch user's are fairly competent with such tasks.  Either way, it seems like something that should be fixed.  I was going to suggest a bug report, but then I already found this

Heh, heh, heh.  big_smile  Naw, dude, gotta peg me for a true noob.  I only got this far because I know enough about computing: Arch is where it's at.  It drives me very zealously.  Impressed with this OS, and this site.  Now if I could just install a Linux chip in my brain, I'd have it made.   I'm gettin' there!

#9 2005-08-24 03:27:59

Bysshe

Penguin wrote:

to run abs, I believe you need the cvsup package.

1) run abs as root and it will update all the PKBUILD's including your kernel's.
2) cd in /var/abs/kernels/<pkgname> where pkgname is the name of your kernel (kernel26, kernel26-scsi, kernel24, kernel24-scsi).
3 As root, do:

makepkg -cfbi

That will build and install your kernel.
If you get md5sums incomplete on kernel26 you can just comment out that entire array (I say this because I always get those errors with the latest kernel26 package, but normally you would take them seriously)

alrighty, I know what commenting out is, but "array" terminology, noobism is blinding me.  How would I accomplish commenting out the array if I needed to?

#10 2005-08-24 04:32:32

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Put a # in front of it to comment it.  As for the md5sums array, Penguin is talking about the md5sums=(....)  line.

#11 2005-08-24 05:08:44

Bysshe

[kdm works appropriatley now, of course, the SCSI kernel only supports one known Nvidia graphics driver, so that was a hangup, but it's finished, thank you!]

I've got to get a weekend or two to understand this ABS stuff.  Fascinating.

Board footer