You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-26 00:48:31

Plus

Compile With GTK2 vs GTK3

A number of programs I use are now using GTK3 (shotwell & remmina for example) and they look like crap on my system.  I know I can install a GTK3 theme to improve the look but I would prefer to use my current GTK2 theme if that is an option.  There is a package for gnome-mplayer-gtk2 in AUR which I use for this program even though it uses GTK3 in the package in the community repo.  Is it possible to compile other packages to use GTK2 instead of GTK3 similar to how gnome-mplayer is provided in AUR vs the community repo?

#2 2012-04-26 01:15:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Compile With GTK2 vs GTK3

I'm pretty sure some programs would provide such an option, though those too tightly integrated in gnome wouldn't. Why not try it yourself. Download the remmina package through abs, try the ./configure options.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-04-26 01:20:44

quasifilmie

Re: Compile With GTK2 vs GTK3

I am sure at least some apps can compiled to use gtk2 instead of gtk3 The new transmission is gtk3 but I managed to compile on Ubuntu 10.04 with the flag --with-gtk=2. The easiest thing is to stick with a gtk2/gtk3 theme. Radiance, Ambiance and Sonar all get updated versions to work with each new iteration of gtk3 and stay compatible with gtk2. Adwaita Cupertino is not a "distro-specific" theme but it was just recently updated to work gtk 3.4. One of the downsides of a rolling release distro is that the widgets toolkits are frequently updated. It's not the fault of Arch though but rather the gtk devs who're not providing backwards compatibility.

Last edited by quasifilmie (2012-04-26 01:22:22)

Board footer