You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-26 11:18:17

jlight2011

[SOLVED] Viewing Large tiff files.

Hi Arch Users!
I have a number of tif image files of scanned engineering documents that are fairly large (25MB+). Viewing them in Windows is not so much of a problem. However, they are illegible when viewed in GNOME's Document Viewer.

Is there any package official or in AUR that will allow me to open these documents correctly.

Regards

JLight

Last edited by jlight2011 (2012-04-26 13:03:41)

#2 2012-04-26 11:23:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Viewing Large tiff files.

There are many.  I'd start with feh, but you'll really need to give more information on what you're looking for if you want useful recommendations.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-04-26 11:53:42

jlight2011

Trilby wrote:

There are many.  I'd start with feh, but you'll really need to give more information on what you're looking for if you want useful recommendations.

Just installed feh. Tried opening  but it would not show the drawings, No error or such just plane white background.

All I want to do is open the scanned engineering documents and zoom into specific parts, nothing more. In Gnome Document viewer, the drawings are barely visible. If I zoom it does not improve. I can see an outline but cant read any useful information like the dimension of hole.

In feh the document opens (the CPU is working hard the fan becomes really loud) but that is it. I waited for 5 min and gave up.

I have a DELL XPS (about 4 months old). intel i7, 8GB RAM.

In windows the document viewer cant open these also. I used to use a program, whose name I cant recall except that it had 'tiff' in it.

Please tell me if you need more specific info.

Cheers!

J

#4 2012-04-26 12:12:53

Gcool

Massive overkill if you just want to be able to open tiff files and never do any image editing, but I'll mention it anyways: gimp

Burninate!

#5 2012-04-26 12:43:16

jlight2011

Gcool wrote:

Massive overkill ...

GIMP does allow for viewing correctly. Thanks for the suggestion...but as you mentioned ... its overkill.

Not convenient when I need to zoom out and zoom in like a 100 times to see specific details. You know of any shortcut to get rid of all the pallets?

Cheers!

J

#6 2012-04-26 12:57:40

skanky

Just a quick one, try using

feh -F image.tiff

This sizes the image to fit the screen. Otherwise large images are shown at standard scaling, and you may have just been looking at a blank part of the drawing.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#7 2012-04-26 13:00:49

jakobcreutzfeldt

If your plan is to read them on a screen, there is absolutely no need to keep them at such a high resolution. Seriously. If you want them at such a high resolution, you might as well just print them out.

I recommend using tiff2pdf (part of libtiff) to convert them to a pdf and use some of its compression options.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2012-04-26 13:02:39)

#8 2012-04-26 13:03:18

jlight2011

skanky wrote:

feh -F image.tiff

This sizes the image to fit the screen. Otherwise large images are shown at standard scaling, and you may have just been looking at a blank part of the drawing.

Awesome! It worked ... did not think that the issue was that simple!!! Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

J

#9 2012-04-26 13:08:50

jlight2011

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

If your plan is to read them on a screen, there is absolutely no need to keep them at such a high resolution. Seriously. If you want them at such a high resolution, you might as well just print them out.

I recommend using tiff2pdf (part of libtiff) to convert them to a pdf and use some of its compression options.

The documents are drawings that are quite old (like 20+ years). The high res was needed to preserve as much detail as possible. I do print a few not all (100+). But once in a while I do need to refer to a few other, which is where I was not able to do until now.

Cheers!

Nishit

#10 2012-04-26 13:17:22

skanky

jlight2011 wrote:
skanky wrote:

feh -F image.tiff

Awesome! It worked ... did not think that the issue was that simple!!! Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

J

I've fallen for it myself before. wink

Note, there are pan and zoom controls and there is a right-click menu. The man page lists them, and they are configurable.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#11 2012-07-31 19:02:58

cookiecaper

We sometimes need to view multi-gigabyte tiffs generated by medical equipment. In my experience, GIMP is the only program that can handle it, but you first must go and increase GIMP's default paging limit, which I believe is 1GB. The images we view are typically around 8GB of bitmap data. Since our machines have 16G+ of RAM, we can increase GIMP's paging size to something really high, and the image will load reasonably quickly.

Nothing else I've used is able to handle this.

Board footer