You are not logged in.

#51 2012-04-26 19:34:20

hobarrera
Website

Re: Compiz 0.9(-dev/-bzr) development/testing/general talk thread

triplesquarednine wrote:
hobarrera wrote:

I've changed the thread title as suggested, and added a note on the first post just in case.

On the matter of bug reporting; has anyone else encountered issue 973989?  Does the application switched (or static application switcher) work properly for anyone?

I don't know if it is the exact same issue (similar for sure), but all of the windows preview fine (including transparent windows) - but the previewer itself appears as a white-box. I did not experience any sort of freeze though (even after several repeated attempts). The GFX just seem corrupted (but not the app window previews).

I need to find some new screen-capture software (as gnome 3.4 implementation sucks). but once i do that - i will do a few captures and add myself to your report, for sure.

cheerz

I worked around the issue by selecting "Show only icons" from Apparience, but it results in a crash after under 6 usages.
I used gtk-recordmydesktop a long time ago, pretty simple and gets the job done smile

#52 2012-04-26 20:06:21

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:
hobarrera wrote:

I've changed the thread title as suggested, and added a note on the first post just in case.

On the matter of bug reporting; has anyone else encountered issue 973989?  Does the application switched (or static application switcher) work properly for anyone?

I don't know if it is the exact same issue (similar for sure), but all of the windows preview fine (including transparent windows) - but the previewer itself appears as a white-box. I did not experience any sort of freeze though (even after several repeated attempts). The GFX just seem corrupted (but not the app window previews).

I need to find some new screen-capture software (as gnome 3.4 implementation sucks). but once i do that - i will do a few captures and add myself to your report, for sure.

cheerz

I worked around the issue by selecting "Show only icons" from Apparience, but it results in a crash after under 6 usages.
I used gtk-recordmydesktop a long time ago, pretty simple and gets the job done smile

not video, just screenshots- i don't need a video to show the bug, just a single frame. I got it figured out anyway. cheerz

#53 2012-04-26 22:54:55

hobarrera
Website

triplesquarednine wrote:

not video, just screenshots- i don't need a video to show the bug, just a single frame. I got it figured out anyway. cheerz

Then what about compiz's screenshot functions?
Or compiz/commands + scrot?

I actually use both those. smile One for regions, another for fullscreen.  I also have short script for current-window screenshots, I use "import" for that.

#54 2012-04-26 23:41:01

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:

Then what about compiz's screenshot functions?
Or compiz/commands + scrot?

I actually use both those. smile One for regions, another for fullscreen.  I also have short script for current-window screenshots, I use "import" for that.

using deepin-screenshot for now, it seems to work well and has some advanced features too.

#55 2012-04-27 00:06:07

triplesquarednine

@ hobarrera

I've added myself to your bug report, i didn't bother with the screenshots but will if asked by the compiz-devs.

I also was able to crash my desktop playing around with it. So hopefully, the compiz-devs will notice 2 people are affected by this.

I suggest everytone else reading this thread see if they can also produce this nasty bug in the application-switcher, then add yourself to hobarrera's bug report (link in hobarrera's previeous post)

cheerz

#56 2012-04-27 13:06:58

rufflove

I only have the shift switcher installed atm (why the hell does Compiz still include four (?) application switchers anyway!) and always use a window decorator, apart from using !(state=maxvert & state=maxhorz) to prevent maximised windows being decorated. I will test it too in a few days time, but will be absorbed in the Guild Wars 2 beta in the meantime wink

"Its too big and too slow"

#57 2012-04-27 14:07:51

SanskritFritz
Website

rufflove wrote:

why the hell does Compiz still include four (?) application switchers anyway!

Choice. I personally use three of them simultaneously, depending on my need for speed or visual orientation.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#58 2012-04-28 00:15:36

triplesquarednine

Hey everyone,

I've filed a few more bug reports, if you can reproduce any of these bugs, please add yourself as affected. So they can be confirmed.

New reports;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-plugi … bug/990031
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-plugi … bug/989719
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/989730

this one isn't new, but i'd like to see it get some attention;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/986260

...if anyone has any bugs that they would like me to try to reproduce / add myself too - please post.

cheerz

#59 2012-05-07 02:22:37

triplesquarednine

Hey everyone.

I just thought i would post, because i have been talking with Daniel (one of the most active compiz developers) and i thought you might find something that he had to say, interesting;

Daniel wrote:

I think compiz needs more passionate contributors, particularly on non-Ubuntu distros. The best way to find bugs quickly in any product is often to support multiple platforms.

So obviously this statement is very telling. Compiz developers want more help from non-ubuntu users and they definitely appreciate the help;

Daniel wrote:

I hope you can keep contributing and help make compiz 0.9.8 (targeted for ubuntu 12.10) another big leap forward. Your contributions so far are much appreciated.

I've had a number of bugs fixed in compiz, including reporting the Cmake breakage (that turned out to eb a Cmake bug) and did testing the Cmake master branch (that contained the fix) for the Cmake devs..

I still have a few lower priority bug that still need be solved. but that will come smile

I'm preparing to file a bunch more bug reports over the next few days, and i plan on posting links to them, from here. Hopefully, some of you will take the time to see if you can confirm them, and add yourselves to the bug reports. - and likewise if you have reported any, i would like to test and reproduce them, so that i can add my vote to your bugs.

Also, now that 12.04 has been released, and as noted above by Daniel Compiz 0.9.8 is targeted for 12.10 ... we should see some decent improvements both code-wise (refactoring/cleanups) and also this cycle should see some of those 'lower priority' bugs should get some attention. 12.10 cycle is just starting, so I imagine 0.9.8 should entail lots of bug-fixes smile

i just wanted to point this stuff out, As i have been pretty happy with how the compiz developers handling things.

Daniel and I also discussed the LTO stuff, which he seemed interested in (and not fully aware of), but he said he will be more interested in using it once some of Unity's code is fixed, as apparently Unity slows down compiz' performance in Ubuntu ... - which i found interesting. We also chatted about some other stuff, but i thought this stuff was more relevant to us Archers, who may be using compiz 0.9.x series

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-05-07 02:28:25)

#60 2012-05-07 03:07:56

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:

I've only found that the previews in the static application switcher killed compiz (and, on a laptop, crashed the video drivers or something alike), but that's the only real bug I came across.

Hobarrera, can you check in CCSM->Application Switcher to see if you have the 'mipmap' option enabled. - mipmap would seem to be the cause of the problem.

can you please verify, for me?

cheerz

#61 2012-05-07 03:52:33

hobarrera
Website

triplesquarednine wrote:
hobarrera wrote:

I've only found that the previews in the static application switcher killed compiz (and, on a laptop, crashed the video drivers or something alike), but that's the only real bug I came across.

Hobarrera, can you check in CCSM->Application Switcher to see if you have the 'mipmap' option enabled. - mipmap would seem to be the cause of the problem.

cheerz

I tried on both intel and nvidia, and it's true, it stops the crashes.
I've added this to the bugreport; I think it's pretty unarguable that mipmaps is related.

I'll get around to testing the other bugs you reported during the week smile

#62 2012-05-07 03:54:57

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:
hobarrera wrote:

cheerz

I tried on both intel and nvidia, and it's true, it stops the crashes.
I've added this to the bugreport; I think it's pretty unarguable that mipmaps is related.

I'll get around to testing the other bugs you reported during the week smile

add yourself to this bug report which better describes the bug;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/995724

#63 2012-05-07 07:06:03

hobarrera
Website

rufflove wrote:

[...]why the hell does Compiz still include four (?) application switchers anyway!) and always use a window decorator, apart from using !(state=maxvert & state=maxhorz) to prevent maximised windows being decorated.[...]

For choice, mostly.
I use static application switcher when I want to quicky switch between windows, especially between the MRU ones.
I also use static app. sw. with an alternate hotkey to look for windows on other workspaces.

I use expo when I have plenty of windows and need to find one without going through the whole list.

I use shift switcher when I want to spot something between all open applications that can't be seen a the smaller preview of the above.

triplesquarednine wrote:

add yourself to this bug report which better describes the bug;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/995724

Very well spotted.

I use expo, static app switcher and shift switcher, and the "* application switcher" are the only two that have mipmaps on by default, hence, why I failed to notice the relation.
Indeed, mipmaps is the issue (verified on intel and nvidia).

#64 2012-05-07 13:06:58

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:

I use expo, static app switcher and shift switcher, and the "* application switcher" are the only two that have mipmaps on by default, hence, why I failed to notice the relation.
Indeed, mipmaps is the issue (verified on intel and nvidia).

Interestingly, i knew something was funny with the mipmaps code in compiz. I can't remember, but i think at one point i crashed EXPO using it, a while back...I kind of forgot about it and just hadn't put two and two together until another user was complaining about compiz crashing using expo and application switcher. After that I had a hunch as to what was going on, so i tested it on my end smile

anyways, i imagine this bug will be marked as 'high' or 'critical' soon enough, being as it can hose the system.

thanks for confirming it and adding yourself to the report. .
I appreciate it, and i know the compiz-devs do too.

#65 2012-05-18 22:40:16

triplesquarednine

Quick update to anyone who is building compiz without using PKGBUILDs, compiz development has shifted a little on Launchpad and they are in the process of merging the various branches into a unified branch - i am told this will make development a little more manageable and consolidate it as well.

the main branch for 0.9.8 is here;

https://code.launchpad.net/~compiz-team/compiz/0.9.8

Animation-addons currently is disabled for now. but i am sure once they finish merging the other branches, and fixing the build system the addons will be back. but the good news (for me anyway) is that 5 bugs that i was affected by are gone, since upgrading to this branch smile

I've also posted on compiz-core-bzr that things have shifted, so rufflove can rework his packages.

cheerz

#66 2012-05-21 19:07:03

Berseker

good news, hope that compiz project will rise again from its ashes smile

#67 2012-05-21 19:39:52

triplesquarednine

Berseker wrote:

good news, hope that compiz project will rise again from its ashes smile

Compiz always seems to do that wink

I think development is going quite well. As of the last few days, a slew of bugs have been fixed, since merging everything together. merging all of the various branches into one has caused a few build problems, but there are already branches waiting to be merged which fix all of that, they just need to be reviewed and then approved (for merging into the main branch).... They are even using Clang/LLVM for some code analysis / to find bugs GCC does not see. ~ which i didn't see coming, at all. although it does make sense... I haven't built compiz with Clang yet, but once the relevant branches have been reviewed and merged, i will give it a try.

#68 2012-07-16 06:47:06

jjj137

Is there a way to install Compiz from the new branch using PKGBUILD right now?

#69 2012-07-17 01:12:42

triplesquarednine

jjj137 wrote:

Is there a way to install Compiz from the new branch using PKGBUILD right now?

that i couldn't tell you. technically compiz-bzr 'should' be using the master branch - but for some reason i don't think it is - Rufflove would know (?)

I build it manually and update it either to test changes/report bugs, or update it when i feel there is reason to.

#70 2012-07-27 09:43:53

PhotonX

Is there any comfortable way to install the 0.9.x branch parallel to the 0.8.8 install from /community (for the sake of testing smile)?

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#71 2012-07-27 15:36:08

hobarrera
Website

PhotonX wrote:

Is there any comfortable way to install the 0.9.x branch parallel to the 0.8.8 install from /community (for the sake of testing smile)?

Changing the "DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX" in the PKGBUILD, to something like /opt, and checking everything in package() moves stuff to /opt as well might work.

In any case, you could just keep the packages somewhere at hand, and install the one you want to try; it's not like you're evey going to run both at the same time.

#72 2012-09-29 19:08:21

jjj137

I've created compiz-bzr: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=63224 , which points to the newest 0.9.9 branch(for Ubuntu 13.04).

Please test and report any bugs to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz

Let's make compiz better.

#73 2012-09-30 09:13:03

hobarrera
Website

I'm glad to see this package.  It's nice to be running the latest upstream, both for the bugfixes, and so we can provide some useful feedback as well!

Any idea why the "wallpaper" plugin is disabled now?

The following bugs affect me on Arch, please check if you're affected too and upvote them if they do, so they get some more priority (hopefuly).

#74 2012-09-30 11:09:53

PhotonX

Hi, big thanks for the package! What is the best way to debug Compiz issues? I have following thing to report but don't want to bother the devs with a report containing no useful information: When activating the OpenGL plugin (which is needed for basically everything) after some flickering I see only the background (wallpaper) and the cursor. After killing Compiz from TTY I see follwong output:

(process:1666): GLib-WARNING **: gmain.c:1641: ref_count == 0, but source was still attached to a context!

But this is only a warning so the crash handler plugin doesn't pop in...

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#75 2012-09-30 19:55:12

hobarrera
Website

PhotonX wrote:

Hi, big thanks for the package! What is the best way to debug Compiz issues? I have following thing to report but don't want to bother the devs with a report containing no useful information: When activating the OpenGL plugin (which is needed for basically everything) after some flickering I see only the background (wallpaper) and the cursor. After killing Compiz from TTY I see follwong output:

(process:1666): GLib-WARNING **: gmain.c:1641: ref_count == 0, but source was still attached to a context!

But this is only a warning so the crash handler plugin doesn't pop in...

The latest version of compiz no longer even includes the wallpaper plugin (see AUR comments as to why), si I'm guessing you're using the wrong package, or are running something else which is interfiering with compiz.

If you're running it with some DE, you should mention which one.  Also, what video card are you using?

You should try running compiz standalone, with a minimal amount of plugins, if it still crashes, it may be an issue you'll want to report upstream.

Board footer