You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-01 20:04:12

MorningWood

Installing Arch on Apple TV Gen. 1

Hi guys,
So I have a first generation Apple TV and have grown tired of the stock operating system included with it and with the help of the internet got around to installing Gentoo on it.  After having spent way more time than I'd like to admit to get Gentoo running an update hosed the system and I had to start from scratch.  Now due to the fact that I just hate Gentoo (sorry to the diehards out there), I would LOVE to get Arch running on it. I have seen tutorials on how to also get Ubuntu (but 8.04) installed so I honestly don't see installing Arch as being much more of a headache than getting Gentoo installed and in the long run I'd prefer it over Gentoo. 

I have been using this guide as a template:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HO … Apple_TV_1

I currently have the patchstick and have all of the partitions ready to go, I just do not know how to run the Arch install.  I definitely do not want to open the aTV up to get to the harddrive and would need to do this via SSH.   I have the iso on a separate thumbdrive that I can access via SSH (patchstick + ISO thumbdrive plugged into a USB hub) but do not know how to initiate the actual install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Last edited by MorningWood (2012-05-01 20:06:30)

#2 2012-05-02 01:14:08

adamrehard

Re: Installing Arch on Apple TV Gen. 1

I can see how Gentoo would be horrible on something that underpowered. I would guess that it's going to be something along the lines of cd-ing to the proper directory to start the Arch install.
Perhaps you should do a Ubuntu install, and then install Arch over Ubuntu. Installing Arch over another Linux distro is on the wiki. Past that, I can't really help you. I wish I could, but this is approaching kerosene powered cheese grater territory, and way out of my area of expertise. Good luck! Adam

"The box said requires Vista or better, so I installed Arch"
Windows != Linux

Board footer