You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-19 18:40:13

xerxes2
Website

New Newsletter

First of all I want to apologize if anyone was offended by that "not be an ass" faq I wrote in the last newsletter. I'm not subscribed to the mailinglist so I missed the action before but my fellow co-writers mentioned it to me later on. It was not my intension whatsoever to piss people off, quite the opposite really. I guess I should say thanks to Dusty and a few others who tried to calm things down and kinda saved my ass. I must admit that I'm not much of a "smoothtalker", not even in swedish. I'll try to watch my language better from now on and the others will also look after me.

And about that "do you like me" post by matthew g. I thought he got so great responses that explained why you should NOT post personal matters on the mailinglist, they fit better in forum/irc. I've also talked with matthew g personally and he seems to be cool about it.
That's all. Peace. big_smile

ok, on to the new newsletter,
on peoples request we will have an interview with a pretty smart guy in this edition, don't miss it, especially not if you are interested in de/wm/app-gui designs which i guess means everyone,

dibble also added a folding@home item,
we don't have any frontpagenews yet so if you got some just mail us and we'll add it, it should of course be arch related, smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#2 2005-08-21 05:39:21

sepht

Re: New Newsletter

Shouldn't a newsletter be like.. fed into our mailboxs at request... newsLETTER. Letter, like.. for mail.. e-mail maybe?? I dunno.. Just wish I wouldn't have to worry about missing it. Just want a simple feed into my main inbox about it. Just a feature I wish for. (unless it already exists and I missed it)

#3 2005-08-21 11:36:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Couldn't you just like, remember to click on the homepage, or something, I mean, I dunno, maybe it's like a good idea or something?

#4 2005-08-21 11:50:24

xerxes2
Website

i second dibble here,
there is a note about it in the new newsletter and phrakture said he would look into it but i feel that it isn't necessary, we plan on releasing every two weeks so you may write that in your calendar as a reminder,

there is also newsletter archives if you should miss some anyway,

#5 2005-08-21 12:54:30

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I supposed we could add an email reminder on the mailing list - an RSS feed of frontpage news would be good notifier too

#6 2005-08-22 03:13:22

sepht

I do click on the homepage, same as I have RSS feeds for front page, and pkg news, but I don't check it that often(I only use RSS on my Linuxbox, which sadly I don't get on that often), other then that I check the front page, aur, and forums 1-2 times a week, but I really would like to just get a single summery of all of it every now and then delieved to my main(not mailing-list) e-mail.

#7 2005-08-24 00:05:54

arooaroo
Website

Well, the new newsletter is out.

Yes! I've scored another mention! (That's 3 so far, I think).

Also, Xerces2 has done plugged the newsletter over at OSNews.

I like the idea of including interviews. That's one thing I liked about Gentoo's newsletter. Admittedly, I'd like to learn about other Archers too, but I can understand why that may not happen. Still, I think people would like to hear from those making significant contributions, like the ArchWM stuff, or the Archie release that's up and coming. Anyway, I hope there are more.

Was it only me who expected this new question in the FAQ:
Q: I was offended by the last newsletter, what should I do?
A: STFU!

/me ducks

I'll get my coat...

#8 2005-08-24 00:08:55

ozar

Great job on this latest newsletter, guys!   8)

oz

#9 2005-08-24 00:49:58

sullivanva

For the next newsletter, could you please interview cactus? 
I think people want to know what he does out there in the desert.

sombrero1.jpg

--HAPS

#10 2005-08-24 19:40:53

xerxes2
Website

ozar wrote:

Great job on this latest newsletter, guys!   8)

many thanks! big_smile
we try our best (well, not very true but it sounds good tongue), just keep suggestions coming, who we are going to interview and other stuff as well,

aroo wrote:

Was it only me who expected this new question in the FAQ:
Q: I was offended by the last newsletter, what should I do?
A: STFU!

hehehe, actually dibble suggested to me that i should write a faq like this:
Q: I wrote something that may have offended people in the last newsletter, so what should I do about it?

i could never come up with a descent answer to it but it could've been something like:
A: Ask arooaroo and he'll tell you.

it's not too late yet, it may come in the next one, tongue

#11 2005-08-26 02:44:04

arooaroo
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

just keep suggestions coming, who we are going to interview...

I hear that arooaroo chap is rather partial to a nice chat wink

xerxes2 wrote:

Q: I wrote something that may have offended people in the last newsletter, so what should I do about it?

i could never come up with a descent answer to it but it could've been something like:

Bring it on!

Well, I do kind of agree with the initial complaints (I seem to recall it was Cactus who started it off). Like Cactus, I'm not adverse to silly humour. I wasn't offended, per se, because I'm always looking for the joke. (I didn't realise there had been complaints until the latest newsletter said so!) But, I could see that in that context, it was perhaps not the best place.

I suppose it's always easy for those familar with the community to "get" the in-jokes and we understand each other's behavour and sense of humour a little better. But, as the newsletter is for outsiders as well as insiders - well, you know what I'm saying...

#12 2005-08-26 18:46:04

xerxes2
Website

arooaroo wrote:
xerxes2 wrote:

just keep suggestions coming, who we are going to interview...

I hear that arooaroo chap is rather partial to a nice chat wink

it's not impossible, i'll put him on the request list right next to cactus, tongue then i must do some further research on that "natural language learning" thing,

arooaroo wrote:
xerxes2 wrote:

Bring it on!

Well, I do kind of agree with the initial complaints (I seem to recall it was Cactus who started it off). Like Cactus, I'm not adverse to silly humour. I wasn't offended, per se, because I'm always looking for the joke. (I didn't realise there had been complaints until the latest newsletter said so!) But, I could see that in that context, it was perhaps not the best place.

I suppose it's always easy for those familar with the community to "get" the in-jokes and we understand each other's behavour and sense of humour a little better. But, as the newsletter is for outsiders as well as insiders - well, you know what I'm saying...

just for the record, that faq wasn't a joke, i was just tired of such things, the mods deleting threads just in case people takes them as flamebaits and so forth, my hope was that people should read that faq and learn from it,

Board footer