You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-04 17:21:39

archwade

[initscripts] priorities in arch-sysctl related to sysctl processing

Hi,

Didn't want to file a bug on initscripts for this one until I had discussed it first, since I think it's one of those types of things.

The current order for processing sysctl files (with later entries overriding earlier ones) is:

/usr/lib/sysctl.d/*.conf
  /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf
  /run/sysctl.d/*.conf
  /etc/sysctl.conf

I would propose that /etc/sysctl.conf be moved ahead of all of the drop-in directories:

/etc/sysctl.conf
  /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*.conf
  /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf
  /run/sysctl.d/*.conf

My reasoning is that /etc/sysctl.conf is populated out of the box and any package changes to this file will conflict with local modifications later.  If I want to enable kernel.sysrq, for example, I would like to create /etc/sysctl.d/local.conf with kernel.sysrq = 1 and leave /etc/sysctl.conf without any modifications.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Wade

#2 2012-05-04 17:33:08

Gcool

Re: [initscripts] priorities in arch-sysctl related to sysctl processing

EDIT: on second thought, my explanation didn't make any sense whatsoever. See the the post below basically.

Last edited by Gcool (2012-05-04 19:34:27)

Burninate!

#3 2012-05-04 19:02:12

Stebalien
Website

Re: [initscripts] priorities in arch-sysctl related to sysctl processing

/etc/sysctl.conf is for user settings (conflicting upgrades will be writen to /etc/sysctl.conf.pacnew). The current order is correct: applications get their say, then the user, then running applications get to make further changes, and finally the user gets to force any settings he or she wants in /etc/sysctl.conf. /etc/sysctl.conf is supposed to be consistant with the final state of the system.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Board footer