You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-27 20:00:49

peque

Dualboot - Then again!

I´m a newbie still  wink but after installed Arch Linux, I had 10gb Freespace,(Don´t ask why) so I would Like to put Windows on.. and I did!
After that I Reinstalled grub, but I can´t get windows to start up.. It´s a laptop with 40gb harddisk! Linux is in the first 30gb and windoze for the rest... But when I ask grub  to boot on the windows installation.. No such partition, and I´m sure it´s the right one ??? What am I doing wring and is it possisble to make the installation first arch then windows??? normally its the other way around???

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2005-08-27 20:43:14

paranoos

Re: Dualboot - Then again!

windows itself requires it to be on the first partition, so what you have to do is learn how to set up grub to re-order the drives, and then run the windows boot loader.

edit: grub's manual explains how to do this. link

#3 2005-08-27 22:40:34

peque

I thank you very very much for this... It work just like that after reading this manuel!

Just getting better .... All the time

#4 2005-08-28 15:58:53

FUBAR
Website

I believe the requirement of Windows to be on the first partition dates back to the Win9x versions.
Windows 2000 and XP aren't that picky anymore: I have Windows 2000 on my /dev/hda1 and at first it wouldn't boot. When I selected it with Grub or LILO, I would get a message like "Booting Windows ..." but nothing happened. All I had to do was to make the partition that Windows was on bootable.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer