You are not logged in.

#276 2012-04-15 09:52:57

dieghen89

Re: [Project] kernel-netbook

Guys, sometimes the subscriptions doesn't work and i get no email  hmm So:

@marxav
i don't remember if you have already wrote me in other places, but the RTS_PSTOR is already enabled

@nierro
i've read your post in the italian forum, so i guess you've solved. The next release 3.3.X doesn't have the TOI support because i'm still trouble with the new patch.

@bickman2k
yep

@xunil9025
well, sky2 should work, the module is present, and i guess also ip6

CONFIG_SKY2=m
CONFIG_IP6_NF_IPTABLES=m

I never used ufw and generally a firewall, so i think there are modules missing. If you know the names, you can help me a lot because i have really not much time this period hmm

the thing made me worried is:

and ext3 can't be mounted error at boot

what do you mean?

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5
"Machines are so stupid that if you tell them to do something perfect, they'll do it"

#277 2012-04-15 11:05:35

nierro

Yes i solved! So, with next release, we must expect no TOI? I agree with you, better be sure whether it works or not, before put it in the kernel.
Thanks for the good work!

#278 2012-04-15 12:20:02

dieghen89

Yes, no TOI support...I tried some patches but till now no luck hmm

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5
"Machines are so stupid that if you tell them to do something perfect, they'll do it"

#279 2012-05-02 17:10:06

marxav

dieghen89 wrote:

Guys, sometimes the subscriptions doesn't work and i get no email  hmm So:

@marxav
i don't remember if you have already wrote me in other places, but the RTS_PSTOR is already enabled
what do you mean?

@dieghen89.  No I did not write anywhere else.  Not sure what cold be wrong.  But if I want to use my SD Card, I have to boot the stock kernel.

#280 2012-05-07 10:52:10

Samuel88

With the last kernel (3.3.4-netbook) during boot I have this error:

Mon May  7 12:44:41 2012: sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/forwarding: No such file or directory
Mon May  7 12:44:41 2012: sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding: No such file or directory

#281 2012-05-07 18:33:11

nierro

I'm having that too!

#282 2012-05-08 11:08:13

Unia
Website

I got here thanks to a Google search on the same issue. I don't think this is kernel-netbook specific, as I am using the regular ARCH kernel and am getting the same issue. I think it's related with this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ip … ctionality

Do you guys have disabled IPv6 as well?

EDIT: Thread opened: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141144

Last edited by Unia (2012-05-08 11:12:53)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#283 2012-05-08 17:35:10

nierro

#284 2012-06-19 22:48:25

acwest

As of the last few versions (I am currently using 3.4.2-1) the ath5k driver appears to be broken. I suspect this is the same problem as https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139270
That thread mentions two kernel patches which fix the problem. Apparently they are included in linux-3.4.0-1, but I'm not sure how to tell if they are included in kernel-netbook
-Craig

Added on investigation: Interestingly enough, it seems to have broken as of kernel 3.4.1, I rolled back to 3.3.4 and do not have the problem. It is quite possible that the patches mentioned in the thread mentioned above are what actually broke it on my system (An Acer AspireOne original 110 model, with an Atheros AR2425 chipset, according to kernel.log)
If this is the case, I suppose it is an upstream problem...

I am curious how to reproduce the kernel source for one of the kernel-netbook builds. Is it just the same as the linux build with a different .config?
-Craig

Last edited by acwest (2012-06-20 22:38:12)

#285 2012-06-24 11:52:44

dieghen89

Guys i'm still quite busy for a while...

@acwest
the problem is still present in the last build (3.4.2-1)?
You can reproduce the source trying compile by aur...If you use yaourt get the files with:

yaourt -G kernel-netbook

go in the kernel-netbook folder, then you can launch makepkg that do:

- source download
- applies patch
- starts menuconfig [*]
- builds the kernel
- package all

* here you can press Ctrl+C and in the src/linux-3.4 you have the exact source.

It's not the same as -ARCH kernel, i apply other patches like ck, tuxonice and i'm testing uksm.

Last edited by dieghen89 (2012-06-24 11:55:23)

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5

#286 2012-06-25 20:41:14

gogi-goji
Website

This is my first time really dealing with any kernel compilation, so please forgive me if any of these are really stupid questions.  I looked, but I couldn't really find answers.

I noticed when poking around in menuconfig that almost everything is built in to the kernel, rather than being built as a module.  Why is that? 

On my netbook, I use LVM on top of LUKS to help sate my paranoia.  In order for everything to work properly when I boot up, I need to have the

encrypt lvm2

hooks in my mkinitcpio.conf.  With the default configuration you provide, a lot of the modules required for these hooks are built in to the kernel, resulting in the initramfs not being built properly, listing a bunch of modules not found.  But even when I poked around in menuconfig and changed the necessary components (Dev Mapper Support, and Mirror Targets, and Intel 8xx/9xx...Graphics, ext4, and reiserfs to address other missing modules) to be built as modules, my "Modules not found" errors went away, but I still had errors as per the following output:

>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
==> Building image from preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-netbook -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-netbook.img
==> Starting build: 3.4.2-netbook
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [pata]
  -> Running build hook: [scsi]
  -> Running build hook: [sata]
  -> Running build hook: [usb]
  -> Running build hook: [encrypt]
  -> Running build hook: [lvm2]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [usbinput]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/ccm.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/ctr.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/cts.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/des_generic.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/gcm.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/ghash-generic.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/hmac.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/lrw.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/md4.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/md5.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/michael_mic.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/rmd128.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/rmd160.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/rmd256.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/rmd320.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/seqiv.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/sha1_generic.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/tgr192.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/wp512.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/xcbc.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/crypto/zlib.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-a4tech.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-apple.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-belkin.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-cherry.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-chicony.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-cypress.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-dr.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ezkey.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-gaff.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-gyration.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-kensington.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-kye.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-logitech-dj.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-logitech.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-microsoft.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-monterey.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-ortek.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-petalynx.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-pl.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-samsung.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sjoy.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sony.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-sunplus.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-tmff.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-topseed.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-twinhan.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-zpff.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/md/dm-crypt.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mirror.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/drivers/md/dm-snapshot.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/fs/ext4/ext4.ko’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/lib/modules/3.4.2-netbook/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko’: No such file or directory
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-netbook.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

Why is this, and should I be doing something else to address these issues? 

I apologize if I made any errors in my terminology, I'm still rather new to kernel compilation and I'm still figuring things out.  Please help point me in the direction so I can fix my problems and learn more about the Linux kernel on the way to kernel zen.  =P  Thanks!

My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

#287 2012-06-26 16:24:37

dieghen89

@gogi-goji

this kernel don't need an initrd image to boot, so all the modules needed in the early step of the boot process must be into the kernel.
Then i have compiled the most of the shared modules between netbook as static to make more clearness, and i think it is more optimized.

I never used lvm nor luks so i can't give you helb about that, but those error i think are caused by your mkinitcpio.conf. Maybe you have in MODULES that names, and during the initrd creation if the module is missing or is [ * ] instead [ m ], the scripts can't find the modules and will return those warnings.
If i'm right, you can create a alternative mkinitcpio.conf file where you want and link it in the /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel-netbook.preset.

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5

#288 2012-06-27 02:15:56

gogi-goji
Website

@dieghen89:

Okay, so from what I've been able to gather now, the main advantage of booting without an initrd is faster boot times, as the initial stages of booting the kernel don't have to muck around with loading modules and all that jazz since everything is simply built in.  Which makes a lot of sense, at least how I understand it.  =P

I figured out the cause of my errors, a silly mistake on my part.  Before generating the initramfs, I forgot to run:

# depmod 3.4.2-netbook

Simply running that enabled mkinitcpio to run with my regular mkinitcpio.conf without any errors, and I was able to successfully boot with the kernel and initramfs.  Earlier while troubleshooting, I poked around in menuconfig a lot and changed a lot of modules from [ * ] to [ m ] before my last compile.  When the next kernel release rolls around, I'll experiment some more with what I need to build in or as a module if I actually remember to run depmod. 

Due to my somewhat esoteric setup with LVM and LUKS, I'll probably just keep using an initrd to keep things working without a messing around trying to boot without an initrd.  =P

Finally, let me extend my thanks for all the work you've put into this project, you've made a great product!

My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

#289 2012-07-08 10:05:23

dieghen89

@gogi-goji
well done! Btw, it's strange the depmod issue because in the .install script is launched the same command, so it shouldn't be necessary...

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5

#290 2012-11-24 15:25:03

gothmog123

Hey guys, kernel noob here.

eth0 networking is not working on kernel-netbook on Acer Aspire 1.

Any tips? It's probably something straightforward that I missed, sorry in advance.

There was something about running depmod - necessary? And something about ufw modules - still problematic? Either of those 2 could be the culprit then.

Last edited by gothmog123 (2012-11-24 15:55:15)

#291 2012-11-25 13:40:17

dieghen89

I think there's a missing module, you have to find it comparing the lsmod of -ARCH kernel (in which i guess is working eth0) and the -netbook.

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5

#292 2013-01-02 14:15:29

kozaki
Website

Happy new year and thank you dieghen89 for maintaining this PKGBUILD

Compiled by default I miss quite a handfull modules on a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 (e.g. ath9k,mac8021 for wired connection or ecryptfs).
Taken that modprobed_db works so well for e.g. kernel linux-ck-atom, can you please confirm how to use it on kernel-netbook?
e.g. is the flollowing the right way to do this?

yaourt -G kernel-netbook && cd to the kernel-netbook folder:
/usr/bin/modprobed_db recall ( Modprobed_db#Data_Recall )
make localmodconfig
makepkg

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#293 2013-01-02 14:17:49

nierro

Here:

if [ $LOCALMODCONFIG = "y" ] ; then
		msg "If you have modprobe_db installed, running it in recall mode now"
		if [ -e /usr/bin/modprobed_db ] ; then
			[[ ! -x /usr/bin/sudo ]] && echo "Cannot call modprobe with sudo.  Install via pacman -S sudo and configure to work with this user." && exit 1
			sudo /usr/bin/modprobed_db recall
		fi
		msg "Running Steven Rostedt's make localmodconfig now"
		make localmodconfig
	fi

from kernel-netbook pkgbuild smile
You shouldn't do anything, i guess. If you have modprobe_db installed, the pkgbuild will do everything for you! smile

#294 2013-01-25 16:53:30

dieghen89

@kozaki
hi! excuse me for the late answer but i'm very busy this period. The support of modprobed_db should be the same as the linux-ck package. I never used it, but his use should be aligned as that package.

p.s. ath9k and mac80211 are already enabled, what do you need?

CONFIG_ATH9K=m
CONFIG_MAC80211=y

Last edited by dieghen89 (2013-01-25 16:55:33)

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5

#295 2013-02-01 23:29:03

kozaki
Website

@nierro sorry was a busy month!
Haven't seen that message for sudo despite I haven't configured it for my user and modprobe_db. Will check this out, thanks!

@Dieghen89 it's ok. Double thanks to you for maintaining the handy kernel-netbook package and support smile

Update: atm I miss ecryptfs.

btw tried to compile kernel-netbook from AUR last night try nierro's advice
Now it won't build here (didn't investigate yet):

patching file kernel/Kconfig.hz
patching file arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.c
patching file arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c
patching file include/net/inet_timewait_sock.h
patching file init/calibrate.c
patching file include/uapi/linux/nfsd/stats.h
patching file kernel/Kconfig.preempt
patching file Makefile
==> ERREUR : Une erreur s'est produite dans build().
    Abandon...
==> ERREUR: Makepkg n'a pas pu construire kernel-netbook.

packages installed:
kernel-netbook 3.7.4-2 (eee)
local/kernel-netbook-headers 3.7.4-2

btw, running kernel-netbook from dieghen89's repo and powerdown allowed  that netbook (Dell Inpiron Mini 1012) to
- lower startup time from 24 to 16 sec :-o
- get the consumption to 7.9 Watts (with Firefox, torrent uploading and a relay all running, i.e. eth0 nicely busy)

Last edited by kozaki (2013-02-02 11:54:35)

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#296 2013-10-17 12:35:59

STEELBAS

Hey Dieghen,

I've been having trouble hotplugging SD cards again.. Any chance that the pciehp module got removed again in one of the updates? Back in 2010 you said it was probably part of  HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE smile

Thanks!

Board footer