You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-28 23:11:38

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

abs, and a wasting of time

I was fiddling around with the abs script today.
I basically made abs use a subversion repository. This required a small modification to the abs script (which was simple to start with), and a different format for the supfile..which i renamed absup.* files.

Basically, this was a case of me wasting time with something that I found interesting at the time. *shrug*

anyway, the modified files are in my subversion repository..
HERE

good:
it uses subversion
you get compression (mod_deflate) if you use apache_svn
subversion works on more architectures than cvsup

bad:
it is slower
it requires a slightly different repository heirarchy.

I think the second bad point isn't terribly bad. I think it makes more sense, and you can in theory have each repository on a different machine if you want (base in one repo, current in another, extra in another, etc.), but it is a bit more work up front. The script to rebuild all packages might need to be reworked too..dunno..

The slower aspect could be somewhat alleviated if each repository was seperated out of its own tree..In my testing, i just dumped the entire abs tree into one repo, and then moved things around a bit. I was just checking out certain directories of this tree...if I had created a seperate repository for each major branch (current, extra, base, etc) then it would likely have been a tad faster...

Anyway, like I said initially...likely pointless and a waste of time. But who knows...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer